Has anyone here heard of DBH?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hamhead, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware Thread Starter

I was going though a bunch of old folk albums and a lot of them had DBH handwritten in the deadwax in a rectangle. I used to see it on discs by ESP, Folkways, Period, Tradition, and a the odd Vox LP. Does anyone know who it is?

Walter H likes this.
  2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

3. Hamhead

I had a chance and blew it when the sister of the owner of ESP came into the store looking for original vinyl. I could have asked her but it was over 10 years ago.

Whoever this DBH person is/was cut a lion's share of records on Folkways, Period, Tradition, ESP and a oddball record here and there. I never seen a DBH Prestige before but I have a few DBH Vox LPs.

4. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I wonder if it is not Dayton Burr "Bones" Howe?

5. felixstrange

felixstrange New Member

I've got these two with the same DBH in the deadwax:

Period's "Jazz Digest" SPL-302
    The Heliocentric World's of Sun Ra Vol. I - ESP-Disk 1014

I'd love to find out who it is.

6. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

ESP and Folkways were both based in New York City, so I'm guessing that that's where their albums were mastered, so I don't think Bones Howe would have mastered them.

7. felixstrange

felixstrange New Member

I ran across another DBH mastering mark, this time on another Period LP:

SPL-510: Janos Starker, Kodaly - Sonata for Unaccompanied Cello:

[​IMG]

Here is what is in the deadwax:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is not the original pressing from the 50's. It is deep groove on side A, but not side B, so I am guessing it was pressed in the early 60s which is presumably when a new master was cut.

8. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

David B. Hancock. Recording engineer and classical pianist.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/535516-David-Hancock

I've always seen the initials in a box as in the pic above. Discogs shows a pic of the mark DBH (AU) which I'm thinking means a recording by Hancock that was cut by Marc Aubort.

9. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Here's an interesting item from 1970. Hancock plays Schubert sonatas for Musical Heritage Society.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FYZOOX0

I'd like to see this record. Probably, he did the recording and mastering as well as actually playing the music! Note as well that he has dedicated his performance to (among others) L. Ron Hubbard (!)

10. Hamhead

This Charlie Parker Dial LP from 1948 or 1952 (depending who you talk to) has DBH in the dead wax.
    The LP is as thick as a 78 and sounds like one. I have several volumes of Folkways Jazz from the early 50's and those also have DBH in the dead wax. This guy has quite a career in cutting.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.