MAGIC TRIP - Ken Kesey & The Merry Pranksters

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rob68, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob68

rob68 Senior Member Thread Starter

They finally made a definitive film of all the 1964 Magic Bus trip footage.

I'm so psyched for this!

There was a segment on yesterday's Soundcheck about it.

In select theatres August 5th. Trailer looks awesome...

http://magictripmovie.com

2. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Sweet! I can't wait for this. Thanks for posting.

3. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I saw this at the Seattle International Film Festival and it was very good. Some of the footage is just amazing Actors are used for some of the narration since some of the original people are no longer here and it occasionally comes off rather "stagey." But other than that, it's well worth seeing.

4. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

The Merry Pranksters Search For A Cool Place (the ORIGINAL Magical Mystery Tour)

I've only seen blurry multi-gen footage so it's a bit startling to see some of those bits clearly. I think will be a very cool doco.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There was Cowboy Neal at the wheel for a trip to Never-Neverland . . .

Makes me glad that I have one of the semi-random mash-ups on VHS, signed by Kesey hisself.

I've no doubt I'll be seeing this with Gail tonight, it's available on demand.

6. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

+1 I got my "Intrepid Traveller and his Merry Pranksters Search For a Cool Place" video tape from Key-Z Productions years ago. Came signed by Kesey and the video tape box was colored and numbered by Ken Babbs.

Very cool video, and some of the video footage looks gorgeous, although it's hardly a documentary or a scholarly look at the trip...it's pretty anarchic, in true Prankster style, so I'm also really looking forward to this new movie.

(BTW....from the Kesey videotape....the color film footage of the psychedelic bus rolling through 1964 New York City is absolutely priceless, literally the meeting of two cultures, and a pivotal point of what would become the 1960s counter-culture. It looks sort of like the color segment of Wizard of Oz forcing itself into the black and white segment)

7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I can't wait to see this!

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

With his mentholated sandwich, he's a walking clothesline

The "Packaging" for the "Look for a Kool Place"

Attached Files:

9. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Is the footage of Neal Cassady and Jack Kerouac silent with actor voiceovers or do we get to hear them speak?

This does look good.

10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I believe I saw this footage at a Pranksters film/discussion event in San Francisco in the late 70's. Ken Babbs hosted. I have my ticket stub somewhere...

john lennonist likes this.
  11. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Yep, that's pretty much how mine looks, although every copy is different obviously. Great videotape---I dubbed mine onto a DVD several years ago. Some of the color footage is gorgeous (but, obviously the part in the "Magic Trip" trailer about the footage being "never before seen" is a little bit of an exaggeration)

I'm REALLY excited to see this new movie. Interestingly, iTunes has it for rental for $9.99 and lists it as being 1 hour and 47 minutes; Direct TV has it for on demand rental for $10.99, but lists it as 90 minutes. I wonder why?? A 17 minute difference is pretty big, unless one of them is wrong.

12. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I want to see this! If only I can find a source for psychedelics, it just wouldn't be right to watch it straight. :)

john lennonist likes this.
  13. rob68

I'll probably rent it on iTunes next week. I'd much rather see it in a theatre with 'like minded individuals' :D but the chances of it playing here in Michigan are probably pretty slight.

14. rob68

The filmmakers had access to over 100 hours of footage, so some of it may well be never before seen.

15. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Recordings of Cassady are played but I seem to remember they don't always sync up with the footage. I think some of the footage of him driving the bus has him talking. Kerouac's footage is silent with other people's voiceovers.

16. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Thanks for the info.

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

18. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Should get my copy soon. :goodie:

19. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Very interesting movie. I can still remember taking LSD 25. Never did take the Acid test. I do remember the ads in the Free Press.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.