LP Not As Advertised - And I Paid By Check...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Combination, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Combination

Combination Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,

Has any encountered this situation?

I've got a very uncooperative seller who was paid via check for a $40 album that was full of scratches (advertised as "light surface marks") and packed so poorly that the cover got trashed.

And it took him over 3 weeks to get this album to me.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Careful...he'll leave you negative feedback for " trying to return a scratched album." :laugh:

3. Combination

Careful...he'll leave you negative feedback for " trying to return a scratched album."

Well, if it solidifies anything, I could post pictures of the thing while it's still in my possession, right?

4. Combination

Well, if it solidifies anything, I could post pictures of the thing while it's still in my possession, right?!

5. Purchase here or eBay or other? Here, nothing much you can do other than try to work it out with the seller and as you suggested take pictures, send the pictures to the seller and if necessary post pictures in the thread.

6. Combination

Sorry, I didn't mention that it was indeed purchased here on the marketplace.

Here's a look at the ridiculously juvenile packing job, and what some people call "light surface marks".

By the way, this was a $40 LP, and not a couple of bucks.

Attached Files:

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I just looked at your Feedback...I know who it is, and yes, there is NO EXCUSE for a packing job like THAT !!!!!! A monkey can be trained to do a better job. And I came SO close to buying from that seller...didn't because he didn't have Pay Pal (because they have customer protection I wonder ? )....jeez, get a clue...buy album mailers, or DON'T SELL VINYL.

And Who's Next on top of it ?!?!?!?!!?

Inexcusable. :shake:

8. xman

xman Active Member

I've seen better copies of Who's Next in the dollar bins. That is truly blasphemous.

9. Combination

Thank you for confirming that I wasn't being too picky!

It took him like 2.5 weeks after the check cleared to send the thing out! He claimed some sort of leg injury, blah blah blah, but naturally, he was able to cash the check rather expeditiously.

Maybe it's the situation affecting my ears, but I don't think it sounds very different from the Track "Bilbo" copy I have! :shrug:

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Did you contact the seller and request a refund?

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I feel your pain....

12. Combination

Oh, absolutely. Of course he won't write back to me. Do I just use the "contact administrator" link if nothing happens?

Any response from the guy seems to take several e-mails.

Another buyer who got a different album from him just realized that his never arrived yet either.

13. noname74

The Gorts try not to get involved in the Classifieds unless there are repeated bad practices by a specific seller/buyer...it's pretty much self regulated. Usually if a seller 'doesn't make things right' then a lot of us will not buy from them (see Keiths issue a few days ago).

As you didn't pay through Paypal it will be hard to force the issue and get a refund but it's technically mail fraud so if you decide to pursue it..there are avenues for it...not sure it's worth the trouble for $40 but thats your call. Good luck and keep us posted. :righton:

14. Combination

Do you have a link to that by some chance?

Also don't know if I should do something else if the seller doesn't cooperate - a la, a thread that specifically mentions his username?

15. noname74

16. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Hmm... I recently received a couple records from a seller here, and they were packed the exact same way...

One jacket was trashed. The tape from the "packaging" had stuck to the cover, and presumably ripped the artwork during shipping. The other record jacket was incomplete but otherwise OK. Oh, and the matrix numbers on one record matched the seller's description on only one side--the other side was an inferior cutting that I was not expecting. Fortunately the vinyl plays nice enough, but jeez, this is the SH forums, and I paid $30 and $40 for the two records.

Hmm...by coincidence, no response from my seller either. And by coincidence I paid by check...:sigh:

Since the vinyl for my transaction was OK, and I happen to have an extra jacket to replace the one that was damaged by the packaging--I decided to fuggetaboutit. However, the OP's situation doesn't look so good as mine. Hope it works out soon.

17. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I had an issue with the same seller. It was one of my very first transactions here. I paid promptly by money order and then had to send multiple emails and wait about two (2) months to get what I purchased. The seller claimed to have sent the package twice only to have it returned both times. He finally sent it FedEx. Of course, when I got the CD, it was over-graded. I am now very leery about paying with check or money order for anything unless the item is rare and not overly expensive.

18. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

First and foremost--
    PM a classifieds gort: -Alan, darkmatter, mcow1, stereoptic

Second--
    Go down to your bank and issue a stop payment on the check.
    It may cost a bit to do this though depending on your bank and the state of Arizona.

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I almost bought something from him too. But like Mike, I decided not to since he didnt take paypal. Sorry for your bad experience.

20. Combination

Thanx a bunch for this. Hopefully one of them will help!

Seller has been sent two messages with no response.

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I am waiting for my album from same seller..check cashed three weeks ago. Getting a bad feeling. However, have to give him the benefit of the doubt until I get the LP. It was graded as excellent.

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Too many complains about bad sellers in the Classifieds here recently. Sad......

23. Combination

It was only my second purchase on the marketplace. Awfully frustrating. :shake:

24. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

I bought a record from this same seller, and my album arrived in the exact same packaging as your pictures -- two slabs of cardboard taped together with packing tape with the album visible by looking through the tape. It was a miracle the record survived, but it was a Classic Records title and included a poly bag -- that probably helped. I, too, had to wait a long time after my check was cashed, and I also found the communication style "lacking." Ultimately, my record did arrive pretty much in the condition described, but I could not truly call my experience "positive" or "negative" -- that kind of shipping method is just a recipe for disaster.

I have a lot of empathy for the OP's situation. $40 for a record that looks like that is just not cool.

One thing I learned -- don't buy anything from a seller who doesn't take PayPal. It just leaves you feeling helpless. Secondly, another recent thread also made me leery of doing any more "gift" PayPal transactions. Again, it just isn't worth it. The seller should just add extra money to the cost of the item to cover PayPal fees.

I wish you success in getting a resolution, OP.

Jamie

25. Combination

Jamie,

The seller did make contact - and he's saying he can only offer a replacement copy, or a replacement cover (??!!).

Is there anybody out there who would actually want to take this risk??

I asked for a refund again. We'll see.

Moderators have been contacted, so perhaps that will inspire him to change his behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.