I would really love a remastered/expanded Massive Attack-Blue Lines!s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

I was listening to Massive Attacks-Blue Lines last night (Japanese mini sleeve version).I don't believe it was remastered but sounds very good for a 20 year old album.I recently found one of their oop cd singles from that album in the uk that has the longer version of "Be Thankful For What You Got" (which sounds more like the version used in the video).If any album deserves the remaster/expanded treatment it's this one.Especially since many credit it with being the first "Trip Hop" album and all.But then again the remaster could arrive way maxed out and compressed.Would love to have all the mixes that were released with it on one disc though.Any fans of the album out there?

2. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I dig Massive Attack a lot..would be cool to see some sort of boxset or even deluxe editions of the albums, especially Blue Lines or Mezzanine.

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

IMO, the only way to improve those already state-of-art recordings is to re-mix them in multichannel.

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Man, you just made me drool.

But seriously, surround for this album (and the two after that) is something I have been dreaming of for years. MA are one of my favourite bands. But I too think the original sounds great as it is and would be afraid of a "modernized" mastering, but would still get it for extended versions (like the one for "Safe From Harm").

5. art

art Senior Member

Such a good record; inventive, musical, smart and aware. Ahead of it's time but perfectly timed. MA bestowed upon hip hop a real intelligence too.

6. BeeJayDeeJay

BeeJayDeeJay Disque Jockey

IMHO there is nothing wrong sonically with ANY of the MA albums. I am especially fond of the killer bass on Mezzanine and Heligoland. Yes, extra trx would be nice.

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They did release a CD and vinyl boxset of all their singles back in 1998, though it would be nice if they did a deluxe version with all the different mixes. It would also be nice if they could put "Any Love" on it as well.

8. Davey

Davey NP: Principe Valiente ~ In This Light (2024)

Careful what you wish for .. those 1991 CD masters sound pretty good in comparison to what usually sees the market now, though I'd agree that it would be nice to have all of it available in a well mastered package. Contrast the 1991 Unfinished Sympathy from the original Blue Lines CD to the 2006 master on the 2-CD collection (clipping included at no extra charge). It certainly isn't close to the worst remaster we've seen, but too bad it couldn't be mastered closer to the originals. But I guess then you would have a problem with the songs from later albums that are mastered loud ... oh, well :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Averara

Averara New Member

Well, if our host, or KG, or MoFi, were to remaster this album, I would give it a chance :)

10. contium

contium Forum Resident

Digging up an old thread but it looks like your wish is happening. From Massive Attacks Facebook:
    "Blue Lines has been rebuilt from the original tapes, remixed and remastered and will be available from November 19th.
    Deluxe vinyl in original screen printed mailer including hi-def audio DVD, hi-def digital file and standard formats.
    We'll have more news soon plus pre-order links"

[​IMG]

11. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

T-T-That looks like a 2 lp set. yip yip!

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

If the remaster (and remix?) is any good, I just hope the hi-rez files will be available without having to buy the LPs.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Huge MA fan here and that picture you posted of the new vinyl was awesome!!

And I'm a cd guy too...

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I'm in. One of my all-time favorite albums. I have the original UK vinyl copy that only says "Massive" on the cover even (anyone remember that?! It was during the Gulf War and people were worried the band's name would be seen as insensitive!)

Great news, and I'm all for a new version. I trust they won't go crazy remastering/remixing because as mentioned above, their albums have always sounded very good to me.

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I know this is blasphemy to many on the board, but there is a remix album called Blue Lines Remixed or something on iTunes that I picked up and it is excellent. Louder than my original cd but it was a convenient and cheaper way to pick up these remixes than trying to find the original cd singles or that OOP expensive boxset that someone mentioned.

Actually as I type this I recall that each of first four albums had a remix version but I never got around to picking up the others!

16. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

I know very little about 5.1 but 'Unfinished Sympathy' could sound amazing in that format...:thumbsup:

17. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I hope the vinyl stays analogue I've got a pretty impressive sounding original already but double vinyl, could we looking at a 45rpm pressing?

18. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

The 96/24 Audio-DVD has potential as well. I was disappointed when the Roxy Music set dropped the high resolution Audio-DVD from that set so let's hope Massive Attack don't follow.

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The reissue will be available on CD, digital download, and as a deluxe box set that contains: the CD, DVD with 96K/24 bit high resolution audio files, the album split over two 180g vinyl LPs, and the original 24″ x 18″ Blue Lines promo poster. Both the CD release and box set will be packaged in 5″ and 12″ card mailers, respectively, with the album’s artwork screen-printed per the original release.

Not even a single extra track?? At least they could have added any remixes that came out for the singles.

20. bonifakula

bonifakula Forum Resident

vinyl of course gonna be digital affair?

21. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Love that album, never had it on vinyl but you can pick up original UK mint vinyls for around €18 on Discogs, as its mass produced early 90s imagine it would sound really good so probably go for them.

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Really, do you mean the very first pressing where they are just called Massive, even the new Record Collector price guide has those listed at £50 as far as I recall and I've sold them complete with the mailer for more than that, later pressings are pretty common, but the first ones aren't, especially in EX. or better condition.

As long as the price is reasonable I'm quite looking forward to the new reissue.

23. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

24. Technocentral

Says "1991 Wild Bunch Records", I just want to listen to it on vinyl not interested in the Massive only title or in collecting it, imagine this would be the standard uk pressing? There are near mint "Massive" only Greek ones for 14 bills. Also as english bob says I don't like the sound of "remix" the way the songs are is what I love about it.

25. Technocentral

Maybe original vinyl was from digital source too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.