Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #26)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

This thread (and the 25 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, etc.

Also, beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! You guys are the best!

:wave:

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I was curious George....are you not crazy about Clifford Curzon or have you not heard much by him?

4. George P

My initial/only exposure (solo Schubert Impromptus) did not really connect with me, but your comment made me curious to hear more.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Curzon is responsible for one of the great Schubert B flat sonatas.

6. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Yeah, and I was the Easter Bunny!!

:D

Hey, I couldn't let that one just slip by, now could I?

7. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

From Jay F., in the previous thread: "Oh. So 'FreeDB' is not the free version of dBpoweramp?"

FreeDB is a metadata database, like GraceNote, for example. (Does iTunes still use GraceNote?)

dBpoweramp is a ripping program that incorporates several different metadata databases, including not only FreeDB, but, more importantly, GD3 and AMG and Sonata something or other. AMG for me is critical when ripping classical, as it correctly sorts artist (performer) versus composer.

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Have you gone 100% digital, i.e. music server, squeeze-box? Apple can never sell me music on the cloud. I have never even owned an iPod or used iTune.

9. George P

And I thought you were the Coyote. :shrug:

10. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I have for years wanted to get into classical music but am so woefully ignorant of it that I wouldnt even know where to start. I do have a DVD-A of some Rachmaninov piano concertos but thats it. One thing that seems appealing to me is that is such a huge amount of high-rez classical to get. Like I said though, where the hell would I even start?

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I hope Joe is ok, as Christchurch, NZ was hit by another after shock.

12. George P

I guess by telling us:

1. If you prefer small to large groups (solo, small group or large group.)
    2. If you prefer any particular instruments.
    3. What works/performances that you have heard that you enjoy.

Then maybe we could recommend some stuff for you to try. Youtube is great for sampling things.

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I do not have much Curzon, but I do have the aforementioned Mozart concertos on Decca Legends and a terrific Trout Quintet with members of the Vienna Octet. Will have to revisit the Mozart discs. I do not have any of the four boxes that Decca released 7-8 years ago, hoping Universal sees to a repackage of all contents in a single clamshell a la last year's Clara Haskil box. I bet they will, too.

14. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Stuart, thanks for asking. We had quakes of 5.7 and 6.3 on Monday afternoon, and we had to evacuate again as the house had no power, water or sewerage. The neighborhood is a total mess with liquefaction mud as well. The good news is that we are ok and that the house and contents have not been damaged any more than they were in February, but the new event makes it more likely that they will be relocating everyone in our neighborhood in the next several months.

We're headed back tomorrow, even though there is no water yet, as schools and work are starting up again after a small delay.

Of course another annoying part of all this is that the NZSO is touring Mahler's 6th this winter but they are not coming to Christchurch, having lost their venue. :cry:

15. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

One of my very first favorites that I HIGHLY RECOMMEND as a starter for others.
    An AWESOME work and comes in either of these 2 covers.
    Can be found very cheap 2nd hand on ebay or Amazon. :righton:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I would suggest you to start here, if you want hi-rez and good-to-great performances of the great works (mostly orchestral, sometimes involving chorus and piano, but, of course, there's a zillion of alternative routes too):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not all of these recordings are in "true modern" hi-rez (for example, Vivaldi and Holst) but all of them are among the best available. Unfortunately, the Holst disc is out-of-print and goes for big bucks on eBay and Amazon Marketplace, but, being patient, you probably can score it cheaper. Or there's another, more modern and "hi-rezish" recording, which got some rave reviews (haven't heard it in its entirety though):

[​IMG]

Also note that all of the aforementioned Naxos discs were released in both DVD-A and SACD formats (only the SACD versions include separate hi-rez stereo mixes, while the DVD-A's are strictly multichannel) and went out-of-print too, but there could be some limited stocks available somewhere, and the prices may vary drastically depending on the format, not the title itself (say, recently I got the Hamlet SACD for cheap at jpc.de, while the DVD-A version is much more rare and expensive these days). Better search the web thoroughly before making any buying decisions.

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

First of all, read this thread. No need to get into the "Infinite Archives", though you'll find out everything you always wanted to know about Mahler [but felt too intimidated to ask] if you do. As regards where to start, I urge you to get the RCA SACDs in the Living Stereo series before they become overpriced collectibles. As sound archiving, they are masterpieces. There are many masterful performances in the series, I'd point in particular to a Charles Munch/Boston Symphony Orchestra recording that includes Ravel's Bolero and Debussy's Images. But if you're interested in a given piece in the series, most [not all] of the performances are classic, most [not all] of the recordings are engineering marvels.

At the same time, I'd advise against limiting one's choices to high-rez issues. In all honesty, if you can swing the current $76 [including shipping] that three Amazon retailers are asking, you can hardly find more music better performed than in the Brilliant Beethoven Box. Symphonies, Concerti, Quartets, Trios, Violin Sonatas and Cello Sonatas are all top tier performances and I'm warming to Brendel's early Beethoven sonata cycle—guy sure knows how to dot his "I's" and cross his "T's". Haven't had the chance to hear many of the vocal performances yet but seriously, this is an amazing bargain and a treasure trove of great music.

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

My 13 year-old nephew is starting to seriously dig classical music, not just in a 'that's kinda cool <shrug>' kinda way. Of course, he likes the big, blustery, loud orchestral stuff from the end of the 19th century, so last week I sent him Dvorak Symphony No. 9 'From the New World', highlights/'bleeding chunks' from Wagner four-part mega-opera 'The Ring' (featuring the famous 'Ride of the Valkyries' and 'Siegfried's Funeral March'), and Mahler Symphony No. 1 ('cos it was his first inquisition: 'What are you playing?'). Next, I plan to send him Beethoven Symphony No. 5 and some Mozart piano concertos -- Nos. 17, 20, 23, 24 are good for starters, I think. Hope this helps.

19. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Glad to hear that you're mostly OK (if these two letters can apply to such sad situations at all... :sigh:). :wave:

20. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

First listen

This lovely Shostakovich piano recital arrived today as a part of a small order from MDT. (It took more than two weeks, which has become a "norm" for most of the UK shipments these days, WTF?!)

Attached Files:

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

not to be confused with the Acedia Squad

Wow! I just realized that we're the Insomnia Squad!

[ organ stab! ]

I'm seeing folks posting from my time zone, so they must be wide awake in the dark as well.

We now continue with the Morning Insurrection™—here's the "Magic Bowel Movement" from Symphony in C minus by Igor Amedeus Metesky

22. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

You're definitely from the same corner of the galaxy as me, dude, but your warp drive has slightly more cylinders in it. :winkgrin:

23. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I doubt it....haven't had my Coffee yet today! :laugh:

24. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

For starters concentrate on composers first and check for the real good (as there are no bests) interpretations and try labels such as hyperion, BIS, Tacet and of course RCA Living Stereo.
    For me it all started with seeing this great piano player playing Chopin !
    So I checked for a bunch of Chopin discs, next I explored Beethoven, Schubert and then Mozart.
    Another highlight is chamber music. String trios and quartets, these strings can sound lovely on a good stereo. Check TACET for the Haydn circle.
    Finally I even liked Bach and opera. stuff i despised for decades...
    Look for a radio or TV program with classical music. This way you discover more stuff.
    Don't ever force yourself and listen to other genres whenever you had enough for a while or simply are in a Rock etc. mood..

25. George P

Now Playing:

LvB
    Op. 95
    Julliard QT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.