Hockey Pucks...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chops, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chops

Chops Active Member Thread Starter

Does anyone use hockey pucks under their speaker spikes, whether they be on hardwood floors or carpet? And if so, are they the rubber ones or aluminum?

The reason I ask is because I notice that Marten Design Coltrane speakers use something that looks very similar to hockey pucks.

Personally, I like the looks of the pucks under the speakers, plus it would raise my NHT's up about an inch higher, getting the tweeters right inline with my ears. I think it would also help stabilize them a little better on the carpet.

Your thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Hi Chops, I wouldn't use the aluminum ones even though they might look better, they won't have the isolation from vibration you're looking for. They would have to be soild billet to be inert, like Dan D'Agistino's LAT-1 speakers.

I used to use some rubber hockey pucks under my Thorens years ago,and really could not hear a difference. Some cheaper componets might sound better setting on some, with a couple on top the case for even more resonense blocking, just don't put them on top of an amp that runs hot! :winkgrin:, messy, messy, messy.

For speakers the main benefit is saving your hardwood floors from spike footers on some speakers, with added bonus of an energy absorbing substance. Although IMO the only way they would work at damping anything on carpet is if the carpet is a tight weave like the last pic you posted, anything nappy would null the benefit. Carpet and rugs should only be in front of a speaker to absorb reflections, not under them, YMMV

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Take off, eh.
    Never thought of that. :D

4. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

:winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin: And ya'll up there are 'sposs'd to love hockey, eh? :cheers:

5. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

I use the soft ones under components. The hard ones make a good record clamp.

This particular one is a great performer:

6. tootull

Yeah, love, lots of pucks around the house. (no joke)
    Great! I'm out of the loop. :laugh:

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

8. Chops

Hi Stuwee,

I see that X-Puck makes both 10.5oz aluminum pucks and 14.4oz stainless pucks. Considering a solid rubber puck weighs in at 5.5-6oz, I imagine the aluminum and SS ones are solid as well.

The carpet in our apartment is a tight weave, though not like commercial grade, ultra thin carpet.

9. Chops

I just ordered 30 brand new 6oz Inglasco regulation hockey pucks to experiment with, for just over 30 bucks shipped and have plans to modify them so that I can put my 80 pound NHT 2.9's on them without the spikes sinking down into the pucks.

10. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

11. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Off the top of my nappy head? :winkgrin:

This is the second time you've quoted me with a Huh? Jeff, you mad at me?

Just my opinion, K :D ? I live in Arizona, my entire home is terra cotta saltillo tile, throw rugs in front of the 'Logans and JBL's, the AR's are on bookcases in the 'puter room.

Peace,
    Craig

Scratcha likes this.
  12. Chops

And a half-naked dude in front of your Fostex. Eww... :yikes:

13. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I've tried hockey pucks for a nimber of applications including under spikes and didn't care for them. Muddied up the sound a bit.

14. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

:evil: That image kinda burns into your retina's eh? :evil:

15. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

Until the Bruins come to town.

16. el34eh

el34eh Member

Hi Chops, those underneath those Marten Desgin are actually Black Diamond Racing Jumbo Pits made of carbon fiber, yet I've had custom made granite pucks made at 3/4" high by 1 3/8" dia and then attached two sets of IsoClean Power TT - 007 Isolation bases on top of those. You may wish to look at the Oyster Blog from Signapore as the owner of the same Marten speakers uses the larger TT - 009's under his. Costly little buggies, but very very well made, you can find them at Musicdirect. Regards, Oscar

17. tootull

carbon fibre hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
    My pucks (stands) are shaped like a hockey stick. :D

[​IMG]

18. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

the logistics of freezing and repositioning pucks before each listening session is going to become awfully involved.....

19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Looks like carbon fibre to me. I suspect that hockey pucks will have a very different effect.

John K.

20. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I use one for a record clamp that works great. I call it a "Rickles Clamp."

Dan. Sorry, but I think this one is superior to yours. :wave:

Attached Files:

21. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

There is lots of time for thinking inbetween deliveries of the medications.

22. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I used to put hockey pucks under the rear leg of my Quad ESl speakers to tilt them forward, learned that from some Canadian friends.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm not even mentioned in this thread !?!?!?!?!

24. tootull

Guy R?

:laugh:

25. tootull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.