Amy Grant - Lead Me On comparison

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

I am posting a poll to help determine which mastering you prefer of this 1988 recording. The original mastering from the A&M CD being played first (normalized to the same level as the remaster), and the EMI remaster (sourced from the 20th Anniversary CD) played second. My vote is definitely the original CD issue.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C3CE53YX

2. BradOlson

3. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I only have the original (so I can't vote) which has one of my favorite Grant tunes (1974) and sounds great to me. I think you have been on record as of late not being a huge fan of the remasters. Is this album any different in your mind?

4. BradOlson

The remaster is inferior to the original. Download the MP3 sample and you will hear for yourself.

5. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Thanks for the information. I will hold on to my collection of orignals and save my money.

Again, her discography deserves a restrospective release of unreleased and alternates that I all but guarantee exist.

6. BradOlson

Yes, there are a lot of unreleased recordings out there but it is Amy herself not being interested in issuing much of the unreleased material so far as she has to give the green light to everything being released. The 2nd disc of the Anniversary edition is worth listening to, especially for the live stuff and the acoustic recordings. The album itself is one of her most solid albums ever.

7. BradOlson

I'll try and boost interest in this.

8. BradOlson

Even if you don't have the remaster, you can still vote as the megaupload link has samples from both masterings of the track.

9. BradOlson

Mark Gould does agree with me that the original mastering is a lot better than the remaster as the song has clearly defined dynamics in composition and on the original CD issue, you hear those dynamics.

10. BradOlson

BTW, there are rumors that EMI is planning a 20th Anniversary reissue of "Heart In Motion" which no doubt would have an interesting 2nd disc.

11. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I imagine the second disc would have lots of remixes. I loved the single remix of "Every Heartbeat". I'm sure there are lots of 12 inch versions that could be put on the second disc.

I bought the 20th anniversary edition of "Lead Me On", although I was annoyed that I had purchased the 2007 remastered version before the deluxe version came out. The second disc is good, but I wish it was the full show from 1989. I didn't care for the new versions.

12. Adular Zech

Adular Zech Forum Resident

I have an early German pressing of the album on the AM label, it's a "full silver" CD and sounds really smooth and provides an excellent listening experience, esp. when played back at a proper level. I also had a CD released on the Myrrh label (I don't remember exactely from which country, maybe Canada), which is said to share the same mastering, but the German CD sounded smoother, so I sold the other one. Shortly before I found out about loudness war I was stupid enough to buy the remaster, too, because I like this album a lot (music and lyrics), but it's no comparison to the early version...

13. BradOlson

I only bought the 20th Anniversary Edition for the 2nd disc.

14. BradOlson

I am glad that all voters agree with me that the original CD mastering is better than the remaster.

15. BradOlson

As fans await for the few new tracks to be added to the Somewhere Down The Road iTunes edition, you can still vote on this poll.

16. BradOlson

17. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I saw Amy @ Merriweather Post Pavillion in Maryland in 1989.......great show. I wore my "Pleased To Meet Me" Replacements t-shirt to the show. I'll probably buy the remaster of "Lead Me On".....obviously I don't have it yet.

18. BradOlson

BTW, all of her albums have been remastered. The remasters are on Sparrow/EMI but all of the remasters do not have bonus tracks except for the anniversary edition of Lead Me On (which has a second disc) and there is rumored to be an anniversary edition of Heart In Motion with a second disc. "Lead Me On" is a timeless album.

19. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Is this the same song recorded by Maxine Nightingale?

20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, that was about 10 years before Amy Grant's record.

21. BradOlson

This song was written by Amy with Michael W. Smith and Wayne Kirkpatrick.

22. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

This album remains as my all time favourite Amy Grant album. A few months ago I purchased a vinyl copy of the record (can't remember the country of origin but will check after my son's soccer game) and it is in line for a vacuum cleaning before I listen to it (I am so far behind in my cleaning AND my listening of recent purchases). I have heard a bit of the new mastering and it is too bright for my liking.

Thanks for posting this Brad!

23. BradOlson

You're welcome. I agree that the remaster of Lead Me On is very bright which isn't very appropriate for the music.

24. davers

davers Forum Resident

I haven't done a comparison with the reissue, but I do agree that the original A&M cd sounds really good.

I just picked up a used copy a couple of months ago and it hasn't left my cd changer. Amy nailed it on this album...really good songwriting and it doesn't sound dated.

25. BradOlson

Exactly right. Unguarded, OTOH, does sound very dated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.