Smiths-Catalog cd remasters-what happened?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Thought I remembered Johnny Marr of The Smiths saying he was working on cd remasters of the entire Smiths catalog about 2 years ago.Anyone-know what happened? Legal disputes among members-perhaps?

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

They are too busy releasing Best Of Morrissey compilations every month to work on The Smiths. :shake:

3. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

It gets increasingly hard to imagine it's anything else.

4. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Who, Johnny Marr?

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It was more of a general comment on the fact they keep recycling the same Morrissey solo material year after year but nobody seems interested in working on the far stronger Smiths material.

6. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

7. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

This is news to me and might be news to you - a super deluxe box set called 'The Smiths - Complete'. Remastered collection of LPs and singles, DVD, booklet, posters etc etc... Limited to 3000 worldwide. Also looks like a vinyl only set and a CD set will be available in October 2011 from Rhino. No rarities or unreleased stuff.
    http://http://www.rhino.co.uk/thesmithscomplete.htm

Super deluxe is £250. Doesn't give any details or prices of the regular editions

8. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Interesting. I do not see if it says CDs are remastered or not.

9. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Pitty there is so little information to find about the new release of the catalog cds....

10. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Sounds a bit steep, no? After all, they don't exactly have the largest catalog ("satiate the need, slip them into different sleeves"?)
    Unless the cost can be attributed to the odd "extra track and a tacky badge".

11. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Link doesnt work...sorry.

Also, dont know why Rhino doesnt call Mike Joyce? Mike claims to have "hundreds of bits and bops and other music" from the Smiths, all locked away somewhere. Plus, I have a friend who met and hung out w/Mike, he confirmed this. Mike could make a fortune off this, as he's always trying to get money from Morrissey?

12. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

LOl, This. only so many times you can have "suedehead/November/TMYIMTCIG? and a few others on EVERY SINGLE CD".

13. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

All these new fangled deluxe boxes are expensive. In this one you get 5 single and 3 double LPs - so they're worth close to £100. Plus 25 7" singles - and they would probably add up close to £100. The rest of it is kind of tacky badge - just glossy pictures and packaging - but no extra track!.

I would assume the CDs would also be remastered, but maybe I assume too much.

And sorry the above link doesn't work - try this one:
    http://www.rhino.co.uk/thesmithscomplete.htm

14. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Where are you guys seeing this stuff @? link posted here, when I clicked on it, didnt work.:mad:

15. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I posted a working link in post #13

16. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

That one works fine, thanks.

I'm drooling at just reading what's in that box set. Too bad though, as there's no way I'll be able to afford it, even if I sell all the Smiths stuff I already own.

17. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I daresay Mike would like to make a few quid but you can bet your life that Morrissey will block any attempt at doing so.

18. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I thought there was a box set (like a regular 4 CD commercial Rhino US box) coming out in the fall - I'd imagine that first and then the individual albums after that.

19. didswartovski

didswartovski New Member

It says taken back to the original tape sources and remastered by Johnny Marr and Frank Arkwright. Did they just add that or something?

20. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Could be right, but' he's tried to stop EMI from releasing past Moz/Smiths stuff too, and that hasn't worked. Morrissey complains about how he doesnt make any $$$ off the EMI stuff, and other releases, and asks fans not to buy them, yet, we still do.

Mike also hasn't seen dime 1 from Moz, from that lawsuit settlement from years ago,could be a great way for him to try to finally get something? Mike obviously owns that stuff(or is in possession of it), and if it bothered Moz that much, he couldve easily tried getting it from Mike during the court case? Johnny too?

Seek out an interview cd called "Conversationalist", it was released by Richard Blade, and contains a bunch of old KROQ interviews w/Morrissey and Mike and Andy, pretty good. Only saw it being sold that 1 time I went to the convention, and since then? haven't seen one. Luckily, I picked one up. On it, Mike is asked by Richard if there's "any unreleased stuff laying around"? to which Mike replies; 'Yes, Ive got hundreds of things...bits and bops, unreleased tracks, unfinished Stuff".......

21. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

The 4 studio albums remastered by Johnny and Frank Arkwright have already been reissued on vinyl (but not CD) by Rhino. So it would seem like a repackaging of those, alongside new masterings of the rest of the catalogue.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

$250 for the deluxe box might be okay, but 250 POUNDS? Plus shipping and customs charges? I guess that's where they lose me.

Not including the 12" singles certainly makes this less "complete" than I'd like, as well. (Unless, perhaps, there are bonus tracks on the CDs? or possibly that's what's meant by "including specially reproduced rarities"?)

This could have been a slam-dunk for me if it had, indeed, been the complete recordings, on both vinyl and (remastered) CDs (and, hey, maybe it really is! it's not impossible that Marr & associates are more on the ball than whoever's in charge of describing the set on the webpage) but, as it stands, I'm gonna wait and see if this shows up in local retail stores at a bearable price. Or if Visa authorizes yet ANOTHER limit increase on my card (even less likely).

23. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Here's a link/info about that 'Morrissey-Convaersationalist" cd......

A Morrissey/Smiths interview cd titled Conversationalist was sold at the April 1998 Morrissey convention in Los Angeles. It comprises two Morrissey interviews, one from 9th February 1990 and the other from the summer of 1998, as well as another of Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce from 21 February 1997. Each of these interviews were done by Richard Blade at KROQ radio station in Los Angeles.

24. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

The way I read is that all the b-sides and extra tracks not on the regular LPs will be somewhere on the 25 7" singles - so it will be 'complete'. Of course it won't be 100% complete because there's bound to be some obscure track edits and variations that aren't included.

25. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Member

I'm still waiting for the singles box number 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.