Kinks Deluxe editions available for pre-order (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I received my Kinda Kinks and The Kink Kontroversy in the mail on Monday.

I'm usually an anal completist with groups I love but as I mentioned in the first thread, for some reason I had the original Kinks Greatest Hits album on Reprise, got Face to Face, fell in love with them and got everything they did through The Great Lost Kinks Album and then I dropped out. For some reason though, I never went backwards and bought their first three albums, so consequently many of these songs are new to me.

I have to say that it's really refreshing to hear "new" (old) material from a band that I love.

I'm surprised and delighted how much I like Kinda Kinks. Being just their second album, I assumed that the songs and arrangements would be pretty primitive.

Songs like "Nothin' In the World Can Stop Me Worryin' "Bout That Girl", the six demo tracks and a couple of the Mono EP tracks seal the deal for me. Just classic Kinks stuff.

At this point anyway, I'm surprised that (with the demo songs included) Kinda Kinks sounds a little closer to "mature Ray's" songwriting style than much of The Kinks Controversy does to my ears, even though Kinda Kinks came first.

I really like both releases though. I like the sound, packaging and can't quibble about the bonus tracks because I'm not jaded. I didn't have any of the bonus stuff previously except for the singles and songs from other comps I own like the two album set The Kinks NPL 18326, on Pye (Mono !)

I'm really looking forward now to Face To Face , Something Else and the others, although this material I know backwards and forwards so maybe I won't be as
    jazzed about them as I am about the two I just got, but I'm guessing I will be. Something Else is one of my favorite albums of all time.

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm like you, Glenn.. But with the first two LPs instead of the first three. These deluxe's are my first copies of KINKS and KINDA KINKS and I am enjoying them more than I thought I would. Especially, KINDA KINKS, which I'm playing as we speak. Love those demos on disc 2.

5. Glenn Christense

I still haven't pulled the trigger on Kinks.
    I may collapse at some point and buy it, but in the meantime I can delude myself into thinking I am a person of moderation.:D

I agree: I love the demos on Kinda Kinks.
    I'm playing The Kink Kontroversy as I post, trying to sort all that material out in my head.

I'm usually a stereo guy, but the early Kinks things sound good to me in mono.
    I know that the first release has a lot of stereo, but I'm not sure if I need the songs. I'm going to hit up YouTube at some point and listen to the songs from Kinks and see if I like them.

P.S. Andrew, if you like Kinda Kinks you'll need The Kink Kontroversy also.:D

6. Really looking forward to Face to Face in a couple of weeks. My elementary school library had it (along with stuff like Wheels of Fire of all things), and I listened to it a lot as a preadolescent. Haven't listened to it in over 20 years, but I sure remember most of the songs. "Too Much On My Mind" is an underrated gem. That is all for now.

7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Oh yes, I have that one as well. I was just saying, like you are getting these first three for the first time, I'm getting the first two for the first time with these reissues. But yes, I have all three deluxe's. I've had "The Kink Kontroversy" for years without bonus tracks. This new one is a big upgrade.

This "Kinda Kinks" is a great release. "Nothin' in the World...," "Something Better Beginning," "I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight," etc. And those demos and single/EP tracks. Excellent!

8. Glenn Christense

I see. I misunderstood your other post.
    Do you like the songs on Kinks ?

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Yes, they're alright, but I've only played it once so far. It'll take more time. It sounds like the kind of debut I was pretty much expecting and had read about. What I wasn't expecting was how good "Kinda Kinks" was. I remember some of the debut didn't do much for me at first. Like the two "Bald" songs and what not.. but it's got "You Really Got Me" and "Cadillac" and a ton of bonus tracks to sift through. I just got them a couple weeks ago and I have my order in through Amazon UK for the new ones. If only other groups tossed them out this quickly. 6 quality deluxe remasters in a couple months!

10. Glad to hear you're enjoying them! All three are essential although to be honest I think that because of the material "Kinda" and "Kontroversy" remain my favorites of the first three.

11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Overnight, I received emails from amazon.co.uk on the next three: release date moved up two weeks, to June 20.

12. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Damn! I was really looking forward to getting the next batch sson. Maybe this means we'll get an announcement that "Muswell" is being realeased on that date too?

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Let me repeat a question that got lost way back in the thread - is the "And I Will Love You" track on Kontroversy off speed - running too slow - or is the guitar just out of tune? It definitely doesn't sound right to me.

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Know what would be a cool idea? An expanded "Live at Kelvin Hall" that utilsed/rounded up the other stray live 60s stuff as bonus material. I think slightly out of time stuff would be justifable given the uniqueness of LAKH in the Kinks catalogue. The 1965 French and German concerts could be included (maybe as DVDs as well!) and the 1964 live Cavern audio. Other candidates would be the material from Shindig that were live/new versions (I don't have a complete breakdown of what's live, but there were several), plus the Colour Me Pop audio, some of which was live/alternate vocals (it exists in only average quality, tho maybe something could be done with it)

croquetlawns likes this.
  15. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Kinda Kinks Deluxe no longer available at Amazon.com?
    Just through the Marketplace?

????

:confused:

16. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Same here. Oh well, this provides my wallet a little bit of a breather between the Kinks and McCartney reissues.

17. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I can't hear anything wrong with it at all :confused:

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

It's probably temporary as they also list the availability of the Kinks Kontroversy deluxe as 9 to 11 days. The sets are not given a US release so these are imports. For the best price, you might want to go with Amazon UK.. or wait and see what happens. Look what Amazon US is charging for the Something Else deluxe vs. Amazon UK.

19. After fully digesting Kinda Kinks and The Kink Kontroversy, these deluxe editions are great sets. Generous amounts of bonus tracks and very pleasant masterings. The sound slaughters the 1998 versions, those look even worse now in comparison. I do own the PRT CDs, I will withhold further comparisons to those masterings for another day.

Is the 2-CD Kink Kronikles worth keeping now, for any reason?

20. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It all depends on whether "She's Got Everything" on the new Face To Face is the original stereo mix or a remix. All the other exclusive tracks will be available on the deluxes and BBC sessions (the stereo mix of "Did you see his name")

21. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Maybe you're used to the Picture Book mastering, which runs much faster? But it's from a drastically inferior source.

22. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Yep, 2 weeks ago I had to decide which Kinks deluxe reissue to buy from Amazon - I chose the first album - figured I go in order. So this week, I wanted to get 'Kinda Kinks' and saw on Amazon the only way to get it was a third party seller. Not a big deal, just seemed weird. So placed my order - it still hasn't shipped yet, hoping it will tomorrow. In the meantime, I've placed my order for Kinks Kontroversy. Can't wait - been a long time coming! My old Kinks reissues are going bye-bye after they are replaced.

23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I want to find a skeet-shooting range to take mine to.

24. Glenn Christense

I guess I just lucked out. I ordered Kinda Kinks and The Kink Kontroversy from Amazon last Thursday with the free regular shipping and they were at my door on Monday. I've never gotten CDs that fast from Amazon using free shipping.

I also am embarrassed to mention that even though The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society is one of my favorite albums of all time, for some reason I never got the deluxe version of that until this week.:hide:
    My excuse is..the only place I actually saw it in a store back years ago was at Borders and this was before they were sending out coupons. I figured I'd pick it up cheaper somewhere else but I never did.

Anyway, Amazon isn't selling the set anymore but I used their link to importcd's and got that new for $18.35 plus $2.98 shipping. That showed up at my house on Wednesday so I've had quite a Kinks week.

This series of deluxe reissues is one of my favorite reissue series ever. I love all three of them. A big thanks to everyone involved with their production.

I have to say the sound of the stereo deluxe "Village" smokes my original Reprise CD.

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.