Outkast Stankonia DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poweragemk, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member Thread Starter

Not that this necessarily appeals to many of the people around these parts, but...
    Anyone heard the Outkast DVD-A? It's supposed to come out today.
    Wondering if I should pick it up.

2. weremichael

weremichael New Member

I too, would love to hear what anyone thinks about this dvd-a.

Michael

3. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Count me in as interested in any comments on this Outkast release :)

Stankonia is a great album with the potential to be a great DVD-A release! I would have jumped for an SACD faster, though.

Their new double album, split into individual sets by Dre and Big Boi, is supposed to be even better. Although, I've heard they've now gone their separate ways. :(

The tracks I've heard sound great IMHO (e.g. the single Hey Ya!) :cool:

4. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Without access to my DVD-A player for a while, I regret not being able to pick this up. Love the album.

The double is very cool, but I like it when they're together more. I haven't heard anything about them actually splitting up. There were rumours, but they denied them, so I'm going to assume they're still together.

With the success of Hey Ya and the variety of sounds on LoveBelow, it seems Andre's music has overshadowed Big Boi's, which is a shame because his songs are just as strong. Bow Tie and Unhappy deserve to be hip-hop classics.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

This is not exactly the case. They are working on a few side projects such as movies and stuff with other artists, but they are pretty adamant in interviews (and in song lyrics on their new release) that they are not breaking up the act.

Regards,

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have the Outkast DVD-A coming in the mail via circuitcity.com - hopefully it will be at my door sooner than later. I will report back when I listen.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just got finished listening to the OutKast DVD-A in surround, and I have good and bad to report.

The good - the surround mix is excellent. Aggressive, but tasteful, with the main musical ideas coming from the front with the right things coming from the rear speakers. Very involving and captivating. The 74 minute album flew by - I was so into the surround mix.

The bad - it was loud and compressed sounding. Very little dynamic range. It didn't sound bad, it is just that everything was presented at the same volume. The surround mix made up for the lack of dynamics in the sound.

This is a great hip-hop/rap album and is worth hearing if you have the suitable surround sound set-up.

Stereo is up next when I get the chance.

8. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Hey Mike,

Thanks so much for the early review...sorry to hear it sounds loud/compressed. My original CD sounds pretty loud.

Do come back with a stereo playback update when you can, as that's what I'd be listening to on my system. :cool:

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Don't tell me this is the new norm for hi rez.....more compression and maxing!:realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.