Sisters of Mercy - Mofi Silver series "First and Last and Always"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

I just received and listened to my copy of the Mofi Silver Series vinyl version of Sisters of Mercy "First and Last and Always".

Not sure what source was used to cut this LP, but it is very thin sounding... I have been fairly impressed with all the Silver Series LPs until now. The pressing was quiet, but was mastered so low that I had to increase the volume to get what I wanted out of the music, which increased the surface noise a ton.

It has been awhile since I listened to this LP, and I currently only own the original US issue CD (my original Elektra vinyl version was trashed in a basement flood), so I don't have a true frame of reference, but I can't believe it would sound this thin and bright sounding as this specific vinyl version.

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

3. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I have the original U.S. Elektra vinyl, which is also a bit on the thin side IIRC. I can recommend the 2006 CD remaster, as it contains for the first time on CD the original version of the album (the old CD is a remix which differs from the vinyl), is not maximized/compressed, and sounds decent.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The original U.S. vinyl cut by Howie Weinberg @ Masterdisk sounds very thin and bright. Not a pleasant listen.

I found a German pressing that actually has some bass. It actually sounds pretty good to me which is why I held off going for the Mofi until I heard some reports. Guess I'll continue to hold off :sigh:

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Re-reading this old thread I see Andy Zax mentioned U.K. vinyl reissues were in the works. I guess that never happened. . .

6. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I have the German pressing as well. Sounds ok.

7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Ditto, it's better than the US pressing but still not great. I was hoping this Silver Series would be a nice improvement but that sounds unlikely now. Does it come in a gatefold like the original German pressing? I'll probably still pick it up just to compare myself because how likely is it this album will ever get another vinyl reissue if Rhino won't even release the remastered CDs in the states.

8. jsayers

Maybe for this one it's best to listen to the music, and not the sonics? Just a thought....:sigh:

What a great band at the time - dark, dark days were a 'coming, and boy weren't they right.

I still think the comp "Some Girls Wander By Mistake" is the one to get.
    http://www.discogs.com/Sisters-Of-Mercy-Some-Girls-Wander-By-Mistake/master/3075

Attached Files:

9. jamjam67

jamjam67 Forum Resident

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

+2 That has all my favorite EPs in one nice package.

11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:laugh: That's what I've been doing for the past 20+ years.

12. motorcitydave

Good cd, and I think Sisters of Mercy's recordings have good sonics!

13. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

When First and Last and Always was first released on vinyl, there were two mixes of the album, one was released in the US and one for the UK. This was told to me by my good friend Bobby Startup, a DJ & local promoter, who heard it directly from Andrew Eldritch when the Sisters appeared at the club where I was working at at the time. I was told this on the evening of the performance, when Bobby showed me a promo copy, before the LP was released. I have, or had both versions, and if my memory is correct, one is much more "trebely" and thin-sounding vs the other mix.

14. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Although the original pressing for Europe/UK was made in Germany at Alsdorf there appears to be a UK test pressing with the matrix numbers:
    MR 337 L A//1V420 V
    MR 337 L B//1V420 V
    I'd love to know how this one sounds and when it was made as I was under the impression this style of UK matrix info was phased out by 1985. I no longer have the original US pressing of this because when I compared them years ago I preferred the sound of the German pressing w/gatefold jacket. Anyone know which mix was used for the different issues of vinyl and CD?

15. motorcitydave

Good question. I no longer have the US press either. For the same reason you mentioned.

16. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I can't begin to imagine what DJ Startups record collection looks like. Do you think he keeps everything? I think it would easily fill a house or has decided to scale back and let things go?

On a related note do you think that Bobby and Andrew get together for a cup of tea at the Four Seasons whenever The Sisters visirt Philadelphia?

Cheers

17. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

Bobby copied all of his vinyl to cdr, & sold everything. (I've known him for almost 30 years, & can tell you that I had more vinyl than he when we both worked at Revival - I had 50 milk crates full of 12"s & LPs, with hundreds more lying everywhere on the floors. I had to sell a lot, now have only about 25 to 30 crates full - makes me cry thinking of all the great & unique first-editions I let go, all in perfect shape....) However, Bobby had been purchasing records since the 50's, and I know that he left a lot of titles (pre-punk era) at his sister's house. Those records are now sold, too.

Bobby did not go see the Sisters on their last performance here; he doesn't go to live shows anymore. He still listens to a lot of music - I saw him DJ just last Saturday. Speak & visit with him regularly, he is very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about many types & styles of music. He laughed when I told him Eldritch is now bald !

Bobby Startup is an amazing guy, his life would make an interesting book.

....and I really doubt that Eldritch stays at the Four Seasons !

oops! sorry to get so far off topic, folks.

18. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Your best bet, is to pick up the SOM release called "SOM: A Merciful Release"....all 3 records, remasterd, with a ton of bonus tracks, mastered very well. I have it, it kicks ***.

19. motorcitydave

Oh yeah? Where can ya get it at?

20. MarkJM

MarkJM Forum Resident

21. jsayers

Unless you're an oddball like me that only likes the first album. That's still a great price for 3 cds, but the price for just FALAA is pretty sweet, too : 3.99 lbs for a new copy of the remastered cd is a steal!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Last-...MV1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303654217&sr=1-1

22. motorcitydave

23. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Well, 2 years ago, I walked into Zia records in Vegas, and saw the 'Merciful release" used for $12 bucks, so I had to buy it.

You're right, the price is right for that one, but, why buy them separately? just wait...you guys are too impatient...wait to find it used @ a record shop, they do come in used from time to time.

24. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Dave, from time to time, check Zia Records...BOTH stores have it come in for as little as $12 bucks...... ask for Craig/or Josh, or Anthony, they'll steer you in the right direction, good guys.

25. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

Spoke with Mr. Startup over the weekend, he confirmed being told by Eldritch that there was / are different mixes of the first SOM LP for the US & UK. He said the US version is much more bright & thin sounding vs. the UK mix.

He also told me he does get together with Eldritch whenever the Sisters visit Philly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.