'new' Rory Gallagher - Notes From San Francisco

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/news/2011/03/notes_from_san_francisco

In November 1977, after completing a 6 month world tour, Rory Gallagher and his band flew straight from their last show in Japan to San Francisco to begin working on a new album, with famed American producer Elliot Mazer (Neil Young – 'Harvest', Janis Joplin – 'Cheap Thrills', The Band – 'The Last Waltz'). Mazer recalls that the sessions grew “tense”, as Gallagher wasn’t happy with the mixing process, describing them as “too complicated”, and by the end of January 1978 he shelved the whole record and broke up his band of the past 5 years.

Fast forward to 2010 and Rory’s brother and manager, Dбnal, allowed his son & Rory’s nephew, Daniel, to recover the album from the Gallagher archive and begin the process of mixing it with his engineer. Rory said in 1992 he hoped the album would surface one day but only if it were remixed and now we finally get to hear this never before issued studio album from a key period of Gallagher’s career, an album that would have been released between ‘Calling Card’ and ‘Photo Finish’. This is truly a ‘Holy Grail’ release for Rory’s fans.

CD 2 is also another fabulous discovery, a blistering live album taken from four nights at The Old Waldorf, San Francisco December 1979. In the audience Van Morrison, on stage Rory Gallagher (guitar/vocals), Gerry McAvoy (bass) and Ted McKenna (drums).

Daniel Gallagher chose to add the live side to highlight why Rory chose to shelve the studio album and reduce his band back down to a three piece. As Rory often said he wanted to get back to ‘meat and potatoes rock & roll’. Rory’s desire to get back to the stripped back, three piece line up of his earlier solo and Taste work may in part be down to his attendance at the infamous Sex Pistols show at The Winterland Ballroom. While mixing the studio record in January 1978, Rory Gallagher went along to the show and was completely blown away by the Pistols energy and fury, he described it ''As close to Eddie Cochran as you’re going to get.''

Incidentally, the album’s sleeve image is an original postcard Rory Gallagher posted to his mother while on tour. Gallagher would always send postcards back home to Ireland from wherever he was in the world. The Limited Edition Deluxe Edition of ‘Notes From San Francisco’ will include a set of personalised Rory postcards complete with ‘Rory Stamps’ which have been sourced from the original US company that produced them. Also included are reproductions of Rory’s hand written lyrics which were kept by Elliot Mazer.

Gallagher died in 1995 at the age of 47, but his genius is immortalised across the globe. A street has been named after him in Paris, a corner in Dublin’s bohemian Temple Bar; a bronze statue stands in his birthplace Ballyshannon, there’s Rory Gallagher Place in his native Cork, while the city also houses the Rory Gallagher Music Library. Annual tributes are held all over the world from Germany to Japan and The International Rory Gallagher Tribute Festival in Ballyshannon sees thousands of fans travel to his birth town every year to celebrate this brilliant man and musician.

CD1 1. Rue The Day 2. Persuasion 3. B Girl 4. Mississippi Sheiks 5. Wheels Within Wheels 6. Overnight Bag 7. Cruise On Out 8. Brute Force & Ignorance 9. Fuel To The Fire

BONUS TRACKS 10. Wheels Within Wheels (Alt version) 11. Cut A Dash 12. Out On The Tiles

CD2 1. Follow Me 2. Shinkicker 3. Off The Handle 4. Bought And Sold 5. I’m Leavin’ 6. Tattoo’d Lady 7. Do You Read Me 8. Country Mile 10. Shadow Play 11. Bullfrog Blues 12. Sea Cruise

Ezmenerelda and Zeki like this.
  2. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Fantastic news!

Thanks for posting this :)

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

This is great news count me in for the deluxe edition. Rory was one of the finest.

4. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Yeah - I absolutely loved Rory's guitar work: probably my favourite rock guitarist of all time. I'll see they're doing a vinyl release as well. I'll get the whole thing :righton:

5. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

cool! Interesting about the Sex Pistols show...I wonder what studio in SF he recorded at ?

6. xman

xman Active Member

Thanks for the link. Great news.

7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Wow...I'll need this:cheers:

8. silversurfer

silversurfer Well-Known Member

Great news!

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Saw him at the Old Waldorf, was a barn burner of a show! Rory was always best live, glad this will be coming out.

10. If I remember correctly from Gerry McAvoy's book, Mazer added a lot of extraneous sounds to the album, including Mexican Mariachi horns on one track! No wonder Rory scrapped the project. Most of those songs were later released on Photo Finish, presumably sounding the way Rory wanted them to sound, so I'm not clear what the deal is here.

11. Chris Schoen

The live show on disc 2.

12. Understood, and I'll probably buy it for that, but I don't get the point of disc one.

Donal Gallagher did a nice job on the Beat Club DVD and CD, and seems to be dedicated to preserving Rory's legacy. I wish he would release Rory's BBC Old Grey Whistle Test show from March 2, 1976, and his solo acoustic performance from Irish television in 1977. Both are on You Tube as individual songs, and would be unbelievable DVD's.

13. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Rory was an amazing talent. I can't wait to hear the live show!

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Awesome news. Thanks for the heads up!

15. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'll look forward to this one.

16. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Great news. Always loved and admired Rory. :righton: Saw him live at Gröna Lund (an Amusement Park) in Stockholm June 1984.

17. Chris Schoen

I don't really like the way he "remastered" Rory's catalog. I will stick with the original vinyl, thankyou.

18. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

:righton:

19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

on my list.... can't wait!

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Nice. Looking forward to this.

22. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

23. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

Glad they seem to be moving forward with Rory's catalogue again. Donal had put it on a bit of a hiatus until record company upheaval subsided.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Anyone know what the differences are for the THREE different versions of this up on Amazon???

One for $13.88, 2 CDs, 24 tracks, coming out on Eagle records 5/17.

Another for $17.99, called "Limited Edition", no details other than "2 discs", coming out 6/14, listed only as "import".

And still yet another, for $32.34, no details other than "2 discs", also coming out 6/14, listed only as "import".

???

25. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Looks like the import Limited Edition is, judging by the picture, a journal-type book with a few postcards. No idea on the expensive one. I'll opt for the less expensive one that comes out Tuesday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.