Sony SS-F7000 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by manicpopthrill, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody have a pair of these, or have you heard them? I'd like to know your thoughts. Also, where did you buy them? The Sony site indicates I don't have a local retailer that carries them.

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Go to audioasylum.com and do a search using "Sony". There was a recent discussion on the S7000 as being a very speaker for the price, often $200.00/pair from online retailers. I'm considering a pair to replace my 24 year old Sony floorstanding speakers (my sister took them for her use)

3. manicpopthrill

Thanks for trying, but I couldn't find much of anything over there. Their website is really antiquated, so I don't know If I was even looking in the right spot for it. Could you post the link?

4. manicpopthrill

Never mind, I found it.

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Type in "Sony" and do search, then arrange in chronological descending order.

6. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Recently I needed better power handling, and was on a low budget, so I replaced a pair of B&W DM602s with a pair of Sony SS-F6000 speakers. They were $190 at my local HH Gregg B&M store. I have been very impressed with the quality of these speakers. They don't sound as good as the B&W speakers they replaced, but they are much closer than you would ever expect for less than half the price. Look for my comments over at www.hometheaterforum.com in the speaker section.

Bottom line: IMO If you're on a budget and want great sound, you can not go wrong with anything in the current Sony SS speaker lineup.

7. manicpopthrill

Thanks Phil, that was indeed helpful. Now, to actually find a pair!

8. PhilBiker

9. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

10. manicpopthrill

11. motorcitydave

Ok, no problem. :cool:

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm trying to figure out how Sony can sell a 66-pound pair of speakers for $250... :confused:

13. motorcitydave

Yeah, they're kinda light.

14. manicpopthrill

Good question, but I've heard nothing but good things about 'em. I would like to buy new, but there's a guy in a nearby town selling a pair for $150 and would probably take less. They appear to be in perfect shape.

15. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

These sound a lot better than their price tag suggests (I'm sure Sony's economy-of-scale advantage definitely helps). And the Sony's could have some strategically placed braces/struts to stiffen the enclosure so their relatively light weight isn't as much of a liability.

I've heard most of the models in this series and was surprised to hear how smooth they sounded compared to other speakers in their price range, and quite a few speakers that cost 2 to 3 times as much. Not quite as smooth/warm as Pioneer's series designed by Andrew Jones (but which also cost quite a bit more too), but are still easy to listen to vs. those other speakers that seem to be designed to sound good with movie soundtracks i.e. lots of analytical detail so one can hear SFX and such. And to me the Sonys have very satisfying amounts of clean/gutsy bass for their size.

16. motorcitydave

Good bang for the buck speakers, I take it.

17. PhilBiker

IMO, just plain good speakers, period. As for "bang for the buck" they're off the charts.

Their relative light weight may be partially attributed to their shallow depth. My SS-F6000 towers are fairly shallow, especially considering their other dimensions.

18. PhilBiker

19. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

The F6000s are right in my price range. I might take a chance and pick up a pair, given that the Amazon.com price has been so cheap in the past.

20. manicpopthrill

Vann's has them for $155, free shipping and no tax. If I wasn't holding out for the F7000s I'd be all over that. I hope I don't regret not taking this deal...

here's the link:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542200266/sony-ss-f6000?SSAID=290560

21. motorcitydave

Ok, cool. :cool:

22. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The Sony SS-F6000s are $120.00/pair shipped @ Vanns.com....today only

Originally thinking of getting the Pioneer FS51 at Best Buy for $205.00/pair. Decision time.

23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

They operate just like Keebler, everything is made by elves... :laugh:

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

25. PhilBiker

Almost a year later I love my Sony speakers more every time I turn them on. Good balanced sound and can jam -really- loud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.