Caravan 'In The Land of Grey and Pink' - SHM-SACD vs 1st UK LP pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plan9, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer Thread Starter

Hi all!

I finally received my Caravan SHM-SACD, so I plan on comparing it to a Mint- first UK vinyl pressing that I happen to have in my possession.
    I will play both on my home system and record the analog streams using my M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard at 24/96 resolution.
    Then I'll upload the FLAC files so any of you can hear the result if you wish.

Vinyl rig:

Modified Technics SL1200 MkII table (re-cabled, replaced quartz clock, KAB tonearm fluid damper, Herbie's Way Excellent II mat, ClearAudio clamp, blahblahblah) > Grado Prestige Gold cart > Cambridge Audio 640P pre-amp > computer

SACD rig:

EU Denon DVD-1940 player (no PCM conversion, Pure Direct mode) > analog outs > SVD Pro Gold cables > computer

All my system is isolated from vibrations and the electricity is filtered using a EAT Pulse protector.

I am currently recording the SACD; if there's any interest, I'll go on with the little experiment. Feel free to ask any question. :)

I also have an original not-remastered Japanese CD pressing that I can rip to add another point of reference.

2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Sounds interesting.

Please do include the old CD too.

Tim

3. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

Thanks! I'd be interested in the results.

4. Plan9

I can't believe my computer crashed as it finished recording the SACD! :laugh:

I have lost Face 2 of the LP and the SACD rip... I'll rip it back in the next days.

Thanks for your support. :wave:

5. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your comp-u-tator. I'm interested as well to hear what you think.

6. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Same here :righton:

7. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Well, we got the computer's assessment of the comparison, which doesn't appear to be too enthusiastic.

8. Phoney Baloney

Phoney Baloney Member

I will be interested in the comparison. I have the original Japanese vinyl and it really sings.

9. Plan9

I am still in the process of re-ripping the tracks... but I can already share my observations.

First let me say I only have (had) 3 SHM-SACDs: Who's Next (now sold), Gentle Giant Octopus and the Caravan.
    Prior to these, I had, for each one, what was considered the best sounding version: Steve's mastering of Who's Next, Eroc's repertoire remaster of Octopus (plus a bunch of other versions), and the 1st LP pressing of "Land".

I was excited to get to hear was is essentially a 1:1 copy of the master tapes for Who's Next, and revved up to compare it to Steve's.
    Well, while the SHM-SACD is really nice and it has amazing resolution, I ended up prefering the tonality and punch of Steve's mastering, even if it's only redbook standard. Don't get me wrong, both discs sound excellent, but Steve's is definitive by my book. (Still, that Won't Get Fooled Again on the SACD, wow.)

For Octopus there is no comparison, the SACD is leagues better than anything that came before (save for a 1st UK LP pressing which I have never heard nor seen). I'm sure that if Eroc had access to the mastertapes for the Repertoire reissue, it would have sounded just as good or possibly even better.

Now, "Land". If you followed my peregrinations on the marketplace you'll remember I had been looking for this one for quite a time, so I was really excited when it finally arrived.
    First listen, it sounds reaaally good but I'm not as impressed as with Octopus. I guess I am spoiled with my 1st UK LP pressing, but last time I listened to it my vinyl rig wasn't what it is now. So I decided to give the LP a listen on my upgraded everything.

For a casual listen, it sounded a bit better to me than the SACD. More air around the instruments, smoother soundstage, the SACD almost felt "compressed" in comparison, if you know what I mean. This LP always makes me think of tubes. I have no way to know but I'm convinced it was cut on a tube system, it sounds so musical. It sings.

The SACD has it's advantages, too: silent background, probably a more defined stereo field, and possibly more resolution. But it doesn't "sing" like the LP, it is more about analytical resolution. This one was made from the master tapes, transfered to DSD in the UK, wasn't it?

Of course the differences can come from my system, and the fact that my SACD player isn't state of the art, but so isn't my vinyl rig. I guess that compared to some systems here it is mid-fi at best. But it seems it is a good representation of what the "average" audiophile has, so I feel my comparison and findings are valid for a good number of people.

Of course the aim of this thread was to share some samples to let each of you make up your own mind, so I'll make and upload them as soon as I get a chance.
    I'll be happy to read your observations. :righton:

albertop likes this.
  10. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

I can't wait for the 5.1mix; I think it would be very interesting

11. Plan9

Is that in the works or just a wish on your part? :)

12. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

Steven Wilson is working on a 40th Anniv mix, apparently. It says so on the Wiki, so it must be true :angel:

SW also hints at something on his FB page
    so we go 2+2 = 5

I hope it is true tho! In any case I'm re-familiarising myself with the album ;)

13. arnaoutchot

arnaoutchot Forum Resident

Cool news !!! But if it came it means spending more money for an album I just spent ca. EUR 50 on (the SHM-SACD). Will this ever end ? :confused:

14. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

That would be THE release of the year for me if true.

15. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

+1

16. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

the release of the year for me is already Moving Pictures 5.1... and I haven't even heard it yet ;)

17. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Wow 5.1 would be amazing. The only thing that could top it would be echoes in 5.1

18. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

19. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Plan9, thank you for your observations. :)
    But you find that the SACD har even better resolution, but the Lp has more air around the instruments. For me, this is a bit "strange" since I always observers that true air (not reverb, pre echo etc) around voices and instruments goes hand-in-hand with better resolution.

Not a big thing, but...

20. Plan9

Sure, sometimes increased resolution can translate into "air" or rather space around instruments.

But here it seems, the mastering of the LP (which I still think was done with tubes in the chain) increases that effect; whereas the instruments sound more "piled up" on top of one another in the stereo field on the SACD -while still being defined-.

Not sure I am being clear. :)

21. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Clear to me. The only SHM-SACD I've purchased was Who's Next. While I thought it was very good - at $50 each, I've decided to pass on the rest.

22. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, space is a better word! :)

Yes, if the Lp was cut with tubes in the chain, that explain the space/air feeling. :)

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Would it not be simpler to just listen and form your opinion that way?:cheers:

24. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I'm not into Caravan. :)

25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Then it doesn't matter how it sounds:cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.