Netflix no longer, thanks to streaming

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by [email protected], Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hey, Netflix is a business. I seriously doubt there's a huge demand out there for Father Knows Best compared to Transfomers. That article writer would berate Netflix for not stocking the entire Donna Reed Show on Blu Ray. He's complaining the Netflix settles for bad transfers of Augie Doggie and Daddy, produced by third party firms. What is Netflix, the Library of Congress? He should be grateful they even carry half of mediocre TV he lists. I think there are more important things to rant about than bad transfers of The Dobie Gillis Show.

3. PNeski@aol.com

well i stopped netflix because They simply stop getting new dvds I want,and finding
    a new music title is almost impossible.The Idea that they don't even have Senso
    is very sad,

I understand the reason people like streaming ,but the fact that they aren't buying
    key titles because the money is going to streaming big movies is not a good thing

4. I sense a business opportunity here. Just like most cities have (or maybe had) that one video store that specializes in rare, foreign and cult movies, some day somebody will start a similar online streaming service. Might cost a bit more than Netflix, though.

5. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Netflix never tried to handle much in the way of rare or foreign films. They left that kind of thing to companies like GreenCine.

6. ksandvik

ksandvik New Member

Oh, I just DVR-record from TCM, IFC, Sundance et rest. They show an amazing amount of good international and old movies. Like Rififi at TCM a month ago.

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

To my way of thinking, they have quite a few foreign films and rare titles. Perhaps I'd think less of them, if that were my primary focus.

8. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Does Netflix carry any DVDs that are not Region 1 (or 0)?

That would be the quickest way of adding to the number of foreign films in their catalog. "Foreign" in this case meaning non-US.

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

It would also be the quickest way for them to encounter numerous customer complaints about the dvds not playing properly since most people in the U.S. do not have region free dvd players.

10. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I understand the region issue and that is part of my point. It's hard to have a good selection of foreign and rare films if you're limited to any one source. In the case of this medium, any one DVD region. I'm only aware of Netflix having Region 1 or 0 discs. If this is the case for Netflix, it's hard to expect that they'd have a comprehensive foreign selection, as it would be limited to only what was issued in the US.

I know that the average US customer might not be able to view DVDs from other regions, but do they in fact carry them, and have a disclaimer that it might not be viewable? Do they also have the odd Region 2 or 4 disc for example? Or are there simply none?

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I cannot wait until they've gone completely to streaming. I watched 2/3 of a Brotherhood marathon the last few days and nights, i.e., Seasons 1 & 2. Pisses me off that I have to wait for them to send me Season 3 in the mail. Who does that?

I wish everything were available with CC, too.

12. PNeski@aol.com

They use to get a lot of dvds before they put the end rental stores ,they would
    ever get music titles that came with cds,Now they don't even get the ones in dvd cases

I was finding that the NYPL would get new titles faster than Netflix would send them to me ,it took forever for me to get the standard dvd of Toy Story 3,I finally
    pic it up at the library
    They don't need to carrry dvds from other regions ,or pal dvds ,just the ones
    that came out here would be nice

13. PNeski@aol.com

"I cannot wait until they've gone completely to streaming. I watched 2/3 of a Brotherhood marathon the last few days and nights, i.e., Seasons 1 & 2. Pisses me off that I have to wait for them to send me Season 3 in the mail. Who does that?

I wish everything were available with CC, too."

well thats a way off and I am sure the price with go up too.They can't
    just stream everything they have,Its a nice feature,but if the film or show you
    want isn't available ,you use to be able to count on them carrying it

14. sagafan

sagafan Member

Way too much Anime, Those with a living breathing wife don't care for it much.

15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

But those with a blow-up doll wife love it. :love:

16. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Exactly. Nobody seems understand why Netflix doesn't carry this stuff. It's not like they go out of their way to screw over their customers, not anymore so than any other corporation. They carry what the vast majority of their customers want, and what they want are the popular titles. I know, I know, the next argument is "what would it hurt to keep X number of copies of Y title?" It could hurt them a lot - they have to keep it stored somewhere, keep it inventoried, easily available, etc. I'm not saying it's great, I'm just stating the complexities of running a gigantic business like Netfix outweigh the needs of what is likely a very small number of people who want to see Father Knows Best. Can't have it all - there's either room for lots of copies of the many popular titles or less copies of the popular titles and room for titles few people rent. Why should Netflix bother with the ones that, effectively, lose them money?

17. PNeski@aol.com

Yes ,Then why couldn't I get Toy story 3??

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There are public libraries that carry lots rare and foreign movies on DVD as well as popular titles.

19. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

i recall when a hollywood VHS was $100 to own / all you can stream + bluray via mail for $10

..whats not to love?

20. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Yes, Netflix use to stock just about every music DVD available. Not now. I do like the documentaries that are available for streaming.

21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Can you guys comment more about that? I have quite a number of music DVDs in my queue, but way down as it's hard to get alone time in the house to watch them. Are they not getting new titles? Or not replacing old broken titles? Or what?

22. You're missing the point--his complaint isn't just about the TV shows but about classic movies on DVDs but points to some of the TV shows because it's a TV blog.

I completely disagree with you on this. You're paying for Netflix so you shouldn't be "grateful" they carry the shows or movies you like--you're paying for that privledge and not just to access the latest "Transformers" movie.

He is indeed ranting about more than the bad transfers of "Dobie Gillis" but about the rapidly shrinking quality and quantity of anything other than the latest release and as a customer who pays money for that he has every right to complain about it.

Netflix is quickly proving itself to be a business much like the major labels that released music and didn't care about jerking around their customers--we all know the result of what happened there. They need to show more respect to their customers since THEY are the folks that make them a business that is viable.

Aside from not having the deep catalog they once had they also signed an agreement (as did many companies--one of the few that didn't was Blockbuster) delaying releases by up to nearly 30 days as rentals. The major studios did this in hopes of forcing folks that really want a title to buy it regardless of the fact that it's reflective of the economy were in. I personally found that choice to be against the very customer service that Netflix claims is important to them.

They offered older titles for streaming and lower rates in that area as a form of "compensation" of sorts to those folks but the titles that they offered for streaming were often older titles that didn't make up for the "newer" titles they weren't carrying.

That'll last a long time with the budget cuts that many cities/counties/states are rolling out. It's a temporary fix at best. I find it disturbing that people are defending a business like Netflix that can come in, drive other companies out of business that DO provide these movies and then elect to stop providing these movies because it's too expensive for them to do so now.

Once I felt that Netflix wasn't meeting my needs as a customer, I cancelled it and I refuse to go back to them. They are an example of the McDonald's of movies. It's sad that they driven other companies out of business by offering the same service and then when they no longer have competition cut off those resources.

23. Yes, we should be "grateful' because they are doing us such a great service.:rolleyes:

You're missing the point--his complaint isn't just about the TV shows but about classic movies on DVDs but points to some of the TV shows because it's a TV blog.

I completely disagree with you on this. You're paying for Netflix so you shouldn't be "grateful" they carry the shows or movies you like--you're paying for that privledge and not just to access the latest "Transformers" movie.

He is indeed ranting about more than the bad transfers of "Dobie Gillis" but about the rapidly shrinking quality and quantity of anything other than the latest release and as a customer who pays money for that he has every right to complain about it.

24. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Here's a consequence of ISP limits and caps:

It looks like the subscriber has control over the streaming quality.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/03/data-caps-claim-a-victim-netflix-streaming-video.ars

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.