Be careful if you buy the Alan Parsons "I Robot" MFSL CD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joachim.ritter, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member Thread Starter

A lot of new (but not sealed) or mint "I Robot" CDs have shown up in Germany in the last time. That seems too good to be true - and a close inspection shows that the "new" CDs don't look exactly as the "old" ones many of us have in their collections.

Artwork and CD design show slight differences. As the attached picture shows "Original Master Recording" is written in pretty big letters on the album cover shown on the front cover of the "new" version. And they forgot the hard to see "TM" sign of the original booklet.

This is the first time I have seen MFSL counterfeits - at least I think this is one. Did anybody else make similar experiences?

Joachim

Attached Files:

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I don't think that's a counterfit. What's the disc look like and from which plant?

3. joachim.ritter

It is the version made by Sanyo Japan and the CD looks close to the original but not exactly like the MFSL CDs of that time. Another forum member who bought a copy of the "new" version as well will add more information. He was more suspicious than I was and after a close inspection of the "new" CD and comparing it to other copies in my collection I'm quite sure that it is not the real deal.

Joachim

4. glimmersingle

glimmersingle Forum Resident

:realmad: Hi folks, what made me suspicious were specific features which SANYO pressings had during that time (Mid eighties). First, the original SANYO pressings had two or three steps on the clear inner section of the CD. The "new ones" are flat, ommiting these steps. Secondly the area of the CD where "MANUFACTURED BY SANYO JAPAN" is printed on, was never wider than 3mm, mostly 2,5mm. The "new ones" have a section of 4 mm. The red bar with "ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING" which is printed on the disc is in a darker red than the original light red colour. Finally the paperwork: After nearly 20 years the paper normally has some yellow/light brown areas as a sign of age, best seen on the edges of the backinsert after taking off the CD - holder. The new ones are plain white as well as the paper of their booklets.
    These statements are the result after checking my collection of MFSL Silver CD as well as lots of SANYO CD of that time (= "Rewind" by the Stones, "Unforgettable Fire" by U2, ""Greatest Hits" by Alan Parsons Pr. and so on.......
    Best regards Frank (glimmersingle) Keep in touch, I´m looking forward on lots of your answers. Check your collection!!!!!:help:

:shake: Folks: There is one on auction !!!!: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2573899219&category=1573

I have contacted the seller yesterday but he didn´t replied yet.:sigh:

And here is another one from Berlin (with love ?). http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ss there is a pressing plant there.:confused:

5. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

If I remember correctly, the MFSL's used thicker paper, almost cardboard like, for their back tray inserts and booklets. This might be another way to tell the originals from possible counterfeits.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

6. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Hmmm...I just bought an MFSL I Robot on E-Bay, though it did not say it was made in Japan. I haven't even received it yet. I hope I got the real thing.

7. joachim.ritter

Exactly right! There seems to be another "new" version with better front cover (see the attached picture), but the paper quality still is not right (too smooth, too white, too new). The CD is exactly the same as described by Frank (glimmersingle).

Joachim

Attached Files:

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hello Joachim & Frank,

The annoying thing about these cds the seller most of the time never

opens up the jewel case , you don't get to see the logo on the disc

when its advertised just the standard front cover image (in their interest I

guess) it would at least give us a better clue on their authenticity.

Alex:realmad:

9. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

So...what exactly is the problem? Which one is the non-counterfiet version? Are there any differences in sound? Please clarify.

10. glimmersingle

The easiest way to figure out if you have a "new copy" is the silver bar where "Original Master Recording" ist printed on, it is grey. All my other MoFi silver discs have a bar which is (light or darker) silver. All of the new discs appeared on a record fair in Berlin.

Best regards

Frank

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thanks for the info Frank,

Well its much easier hands on at a record fair deciding if they are fake.

I guess its then potluck buying from ebay.de if the covers are so authentic!

Alex

12. glimmersingle

Hi Alex: please note:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...le MFSL CD. Best regards FRank:realmad:

13. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

Just another MFSL I Robot experience
    CD Itself looks like original and it was manufactured by laservideo inc.
    Looking on CD only I would never tell that it is a counterfeit.
    It looks like Cds that were made in eighties.
    As to the cover Thin stripes are missing. tm is present. But the color looks like gray. I always thought it is an original CD with an artwork replaced
    probably because it was a cut out.
    Were these CDs ever manufactured by LaserVideo, inc ?

Best regards
    Mikhail

14. joachim.ritter

I think this is not a counterfeit - at least the copy in my collection looks exactly the same. The Laservideo US pressings seem to be much rarer than the Japanese pressings.

Best regards,

Joachim

15. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

Thanks Joachim
    It is a big relief.

Mikhail

16. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

Joachim,
    I have MFSL Broken Barricades MFCD 846 that I suspect is a counterfeit.
    It was made in West Germany by Philips and Dupont optical.
    And it has an aluminum layer going till the spindle hole.
    The color is also more like gray not silver.
    Could you help me with this one.

Mikhail

17. joachim.ritter

I have this variation as well. :thumbsup:

I think the "new" I Robot CDs are the only MFSL CD counterfeits. Plus titles which were never released as MFSL CD of course (Beatles, Delaney and Bonnie etc.).

Joachim

18. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

Thank You very much Joachim.

Best,
    Mikhail

19. ascot

ascot Senior Member

My copy of Booker T. & The MG's McLemore Avenue was made in the USA by LaserVideo, Inc. I bought it brand new way back when and never thought anything of it.

20. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

Just curious Does it has stripes on its cover ?

21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

No, it's solid black.

22. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Really? My copy is a Laservideo US pressing. I bought it brand new (in the plastic longbox) in 1988 for ten bucks! :D

23. JWB

JWB New Member

** oops **

24. glimmersingle

The MFSL silver discs made by LaserVideo and omitting the stripes on the front inserts are originals as well as the ones made by Philips Dupont. The current "I robot" counterfeits are copies from Sanyo pressings. They do not have the "steps" on the hub of the CD in addition to the features I have described above. Best regards from FRANK

25. Paddy

Paddy New Member

Recently I was victimof a counterfeit "I Robot". It has all the described signs of a fake, plus some more (no barcode, slightly blurred labeling) so it certainly is. If I just had found this thread earlier. I got mine via ebay from a turkish seller in Berlin, which should have been enough of a warning, but love makes blind. So be careful...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.