Chat with Mark Schifter of Perpetual Technologies

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stuwee, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident Thread Starter

I belong to a small stereo forum of great folks, the owner, Larry has been getting some great guys in the biz to enter our chat room for some Q&A sessions, this Saturday March 19th at 3pm Eastern, Mark will be on line with us, the main discussion is about the new X-amp he sent to Larry to test out, but we're an informal friendly group so all Q's are welcome :)

I have some about his Audio Alchemy days myself, if interested check out the forums and sign up, http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/

More star guests will be posted on the forums for future dates :wave:

2. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

He's back?

3. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

This sounds like a pretty cool idea, and I totally don't mean to threadcrap here...

but I have to ask: are you talking about Mark L. Schifter, formerly of AV123?

4. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

He didn't get any prison time, he was sentenced to 20 years probation and ordered to repay restitution (I don't know if he's supposed to repay the charities he ripped off or his general debtors or both).

5. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know there was a fracus last year with AV123/Perpetual Tech and they closed in Aug IIRC, still his work with Peter Madnick on the P-1A and P-3A Digital Correction Engine and D/A Converter was some great stuff for the price back in 2000.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Fracus? That's putting it way too politely. The guy is a crook. I remember his behavior from many, many years ago which may not have been illegal but certainly was unfriendly. I never forgot my brief encounter with him. We certainly will never do business with him.
    -Bill

7. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Yeah, I followed the whole sad saga as it was unfolding. I want nothing to do with any products he's involved in.

8. 6L6X4

6L6X4 New Member

With the baggage Schifter is carrying it's going to be an up-hill battle getting an audio company off the ground.

I would have serious reservations regarding if a purchased product was actually delivered and if there would be a company there to support the product if it ever needed it.

9. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

I had to check my calender to make sure this wasn't April Fools Day.

10. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

sheesh...good luck trying to sell anything with his name attached to it. That shark jumped up, grew wings, & flew away.

11. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------------------------------------------
    I agree and there are just too many other "options" out there for customers young and old. I guess this is the way to restitution?

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Pulled up this old thread from a Google search. I still own my Onix Rocket RS450s after all these years and they have been great. The old company did put out some very good speakers for awhile till the owner was indicted. Ah the old wild Wild West of the internet.

13. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Still have my Minis - sounding great. Don't know what I will do when they break, however... =(

14. There used to be an outfit called "Skiing Ninja" that did upgrades on AV123 speakers. Perhaps they are still around and could service them?

15. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

They used to, but stopped doing it a few years ago. I think they wanted to distance themselves...

16. Danny Ritchie designed many (most? all?) of the Onix/AV123 loudspeakers. I am sure he can service them should something go wrong:

http://gr-research.com

17. Hi-Fidelity4all

Hi-Fidelity4all New Member

I picked up a Stello U2 (which does USB in, i2s output) to connect my laptop to the PT P-2A.

Works great, and the DAC is still a great one (w/Modwright upgrade).

Very unfortunate about the outcome of the business.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I had several of the Audio Alchemy boxes, and those were terrific buys in the 1990s. Sad that the company faded away.

19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Had a Dac-In-The-Box myself...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.