Rush - Moving Pictures BR 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd Thread Starter

Didn't see this posted anywhere. I'm not a big fan by any means, but this could be a very cool hi-rez 5.1 release in the same vein as DSOTM. Thoughts??

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5901

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I wonder how that disc will sound. If it is not bright and compressed, I would definately buy this title on Blu Ray.

3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Just read about this , I Pray they do this one right ............ sold !!

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Chycki has stated that his goal was "to pay serious homage to the production of the era."

In other words, I sweat to Christ I won't and I didn't blast this into brick walled heavens.

5. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

"Paying serious homage" could be interpreted as putting serious personal touch on the original. We'll see how this turns out. :)

:wave:

6. SAPCOR1

SAPCOR1 Forum Resident

Great album, my favourite from Rush just ahead of Permanent Waves.

I see Amazon UK has a 2 disc MP for £50 on import scheduled for 5th April ...

7. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

If this is a Bluray-Audio disc like the recent Tom Petty stuff, I will definitively buy it. We need more Hi-Rez in 5.1 and Stereo to survive......:righton:

8. jacek2

jacek2 Forum Resident

English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit)
    English: LPCM 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit)
    English: LPCM 2.0 (96kHz, 24-bit)

I hope so .... :)

9. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

I love the Blu-Ray audio from Tom Petty and Neil Young.
    Wouldn't think twice to purchase classic albums like Moving Pictures in this format.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Exactly. I will only buy this release if it's hi-rez. Dolby Digital and DTS is a waste of Blu-Ray given the disc capacity.

11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

This will be my reason to finally pick up a blu-ray player. I still haven't made the plunge. LOL

12. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Ha! That kind of cracks me up because I finally took the plunge on an SACD player when several rush titles were announced on the format. Sadly, they never materialized. This will make up for that though!

13. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

14. ModernDayWarrior

Yeah I was really disapointed when they were cancelled. They really missed the boat on that one.

15. Speak

Speak Forum Resident

On Amazon UK it's billed as a audiophile recording: that bodes well!! Shame for the price though... at 50 pounds it's a bit overpriced even by "US import" standards! I hope it gets an European release for all of us stranded in the old continent... :wave:

16. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

High res FLAC downloads like the TP one would be ideal.

17. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I dont understand what the DVD portion of the BD/DVD combo is? I hope that it's DVD-A. For me, Rush on DVD-A would be the holy grail!

18. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

From Richard Chycki's own blog, the engineer who handled the 5.1 remix:

Great! Sounds like it will be an immersive and aggressive multichannel mix, instead of some polite i.e. boring ambient mix that would not do justice to this particular album's music. I've been a fan of Rush since 1982 and this will be in my collection.

And from Music Tap:

Off-topic but very welcome factoid.....

In another entry he says he will be remixing the Vapor Trails album, one of the first albums that made music fans aware of how badly overcompression can ruin an album:

Bolded emphasis is mine and I think that means compression will be used in proper amounts...I hope.

19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

There is no BD/DVD combo. BD/CD or DVD/CD.

The blu-ray.com summary might be open to mis-interpretation, but if you follow the links:

http://musictap.net/2011/02/15/tapsheet-release-notes-02162011/

Unlikely to be a DVD-A, one would think.

20. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Thanks for the info!

21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Just wondering how the remixed Vapor Trails tracks were received here... I know the original release is still one of the most trashed mastering jobs on this forum.

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Is it out already? I thought it was coming out this year.

23. ModernDayWarrior

I think he's talking about the 2 remixed tracks that came out on Retrospective 3. One Little Victory and Earthshine.

I thought sonically wise, they were an improvement, but I still like the original Earthshine better. It's def. more ballsy than the remix.

24. I love this band, but lets just say I have low expectations, but very high hopes.

Nothing that they have done post-VT, live or studio, has been all that great sonically. I gave the 24/96 S&A a listen the other night, and while I still rate the music very highly, it just does not twirl my propellor sonically. It seems like the mixes are so dense that the music can not really breath, and the EQ choices are not that great.

But, I will keep my fingers crossed that they will hit one put of the park.

Brian

25. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Do you mean the VT remixes or the Moving Pictures surround mix?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.