THE BEATLES "Please Please Me" original mono? Also MMT German pressing info

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

Please Please Me original mono?

Please Please Me is one of my all time favorite albums but unfortunately the official CD doesn't sound very good to me. I also bought a DMM vinyl issue which doesn't sound much better. How does the original mono lp sound compared to these?

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The original mono is the one to get, if you can find and afford one that is in excellent condition!

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

If you find the UK 80's reissue (before digital) then I think you'll enjoy that also and it would be cheaper.

Todd

4. PMC7027

Good suggestion, Todd.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, the original stereo is the one to get. Much less compression and more lifelike sound (except on the two fake stereo tracks of course).

6. PMC7027

But the mono is different. The original Stereo is not the one to get if you are looking for the mono, only if you are looking for the stereo.

7. PMC7027

I'm a master of the obvious!

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Ya, he did ask for mono not stereo....

9. Steve Hoffman

Re: Please Please Me original mono?

If this is one of your all time favorite albums you need to hear it in stereo. The mono master tape was made from the stereo (a fold-down) and it was compressed 2:1 and 6 db added at 3,000 cycles before cutting on to LP when it was squeezed some more. You owe it to yourself to hear the stereo version. It breathes, it has life, dynamics and sounds wonderful. The German "Die Beatles" pressing is the one. Amazing sound (almost STUNNING!) :)

If you have heard the stereo and hate it and just want the mono version, follow these guys advice. But if you've never heard the stereo version, try it.

10. PMC7027

Todd,
    Let's not gang up on Steve. He's probably been busy changing diapers for a new masteing engineer!

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

Re: Re: Please Please Me original mono?

Thanks - I've not heard a stereo mix, not counting Capitol's "Early Beatles". I will seek out a copy.
    :)

12. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

What's the general consensus on the MFSL version?

I have it, and while I feel it is bright, it does beat the American vinyl of "The Early Beatles", IMO.

13. Steve Hoffman

What, Rob, you haven't been reading all the threads here? Shame on you.

IMO the MFSL stinks. Way too bright and they used the wrong darn tape. Fer-get it.

14. Evan

Evan Senior Member

So there is no unique mono mix for this album? :confused: So all I have to do is play the stereo mix and hit the mono button on my system and its the same mix (basically). Boy, this makes the mono CD a greater travesty than I had originally thought :eek:

Oh, the humanity! :(

15. Steve Hoffman

Re: Re: Re: Please Please Me original mono?

Evan,

Yes, that's right. Hit your mono button, compress with an old Altec limiter, EQ up the midrange, filter the bass and drench in echo and you have the mono mix.

16. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I agree with Steve. I recently scored an original German Horzu stereo LP of Die Beatles while in LA. It beats all the others mono and stereo, including my original German white/red Odeon stereo LP of Please Please Me.

17. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

18. stever

stever Senior Member

"Please Please Me," is also one of my favorite albums. I just got the silver/black UK stereo -- is it the same as the black/yellow stereo and, "Die Beatles?"

19. Steve Hoffman

Re: Re: Re: Please Please Me original mono?

No, it's not. It has been redubbed with an extra layer of compression and echo. Not as bad as the mono mix, but still noticable when compared to the "DIE BEATLES" German album.

Really, only DIE BEATLES or later GERMAN Apple versions with the same stamper as mentioned above has the sound of the real tapes. No USA or British version was made from that set of "export" tapes.

Understand? Sometimes I don't make my meaning clear, knowing this stuff in my sleep as it were.

20. stever

stever Senior Member

Do ALL later German Apple pressings have the same stamper as, "Die Beatles?" That would make this upcoming purchase much cheaper. :)

21. Steve Hoffman

I believe so, but don't quote me....

22. PMC7027

Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Please Me original mono?

What about the fact that there are two different versions of the song Please Please Me? There is a difference between the mono and stereo. One has a vocal mix up and the other does not, although I don't remember which is which off the top of my head.

23. Steve Hoffman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please Please Me original mono?

Three different versions, David.

The good version (mono British 45).

The bad double echo out of phase dub of the mono British 45 used on the mono first British LP.

The stereo version with a missing edit about two thirds through the song as used on the stereo British LP.

The only good version is the first one I mentioned, the British hit version (possibly on the Vee Jay 45 as well) which sad to say is not available in any digital format nor on any LP ever released. :(

I've discussed this song many times, but the above pretty much sums it up.

24. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Steve, I must ask you for some clarification about the MFSL "Please Please Me." I thought at one point on this forum you stated that the only master tape Mofi did not acquire for their remastering project was "Magical Mystery Tour?" Did they also get the wrong master tape for PPM? Which one did they end up using? Also, I had once read where Tom Port among others actually liked the sound that mofi got down for PPM. Oh well, I'll have to try the "Die Beatles" you mentioned.

25. Steve Hoffman

Sam,

Technically MoFi used the correct British master tape for PLEASE PLEASE ME. However, this tape was SO compressed and EQ'd originally that (if I remember correctly) it says RIGHT ON THE TAPE BOX: "Do not dupe for export, use reel #XXXXXX" or something like that. In other words: "This tape is so radically messed with that we can't imagine any other country using it to cut a good sounding phonograph record.

So, I told the MoFi guys to use the earlier generation tape, the one used for duping export copies. They never did and that tape (the original twin-track SI reel) has never been used for anything except making dubs for other countries (DIE BEATLES was made from one such dub copy).

I ALSO told the MoFi guys that LOVE ME DO and P.S. I LOVE YOU were fake stereo dubs and shouldn't be used at all and that they should request the proper mono originals, and blah blah blah..... They didn't.

Such is life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.