Layla, Slowhand, 461 Ocean Blvd, Eat a Peach coming to SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GregM, Nov 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man Thread Starter

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

This is good news!

Thanks, Greg.

mud-:D

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Excellent news! I would love to hear "Layla" on SACD. Not a great recording, but I'm sure it would be good on SACD. Whoo-hoo!

4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

As much as I like the MFSL Eat A Peach, I'm really looking foreward to this one.

The Clapton stuff is definitely good news as well, just as long as Layla isn't the remix version.

5. GregM

I anticipate Layla will be muddy (though an improvement for sure). I'm more excited about Eat a Peach and Live at Filmore East. Rediscovering the Allman Bros on SACD will be :love:

6. KeithH

Motley Crue Greatest Hits is also shown as an upcoming SACD on the link Greg provided. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

And they're all surround! Probably the original quad mixes, but they were good ones.

8. GregM

The Motley Crue has been up on that page for quite a while--maybe a month or two. Today is the first day I've seen those I mentioned in the header.

9. GregM

Indeed! And hybrid, so they will likely replace the CD only versions. Good riddance.

10. jdw

jdw Senior Member

11. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

You mean new version of "Slowhand" ?;)

12. If Scheiner mistakenly references the remix / compressed to oblivion Layla,
    we are all going to suffer for it.
    I have original vinyl from 3 countries and the MoFi cd,
    and on that MoFi you really do not
    miss the rolled off top end, it sounds completely natural.

Of course, the Bill Levensen UV22 mastering off the remix
    sounds like a dentist's drill.

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Agreed. The original RSO 2CD for "Layla" I always thought killed even the MFSL. I still think it can't be beat.

The only way to do Layla is to get the Criteria master and play it flat. Any corrections are...corrections.

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Poor house ... here I come.

Life just keeps getting better and better when it comes to SACD. :cool:

The biggest problem I have is where do I get the time to listen to all this "new" music on SACD. I am already way behind on my new purchase listening and DVD watching. What a problem to have. :D

15. GregM

Ain't that the truth? And the 4-DVD extended version of the Two Towers is released next week. There goes a couple evenings.

16. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

17. KeithH

Michael, that's the original US pressing of Layla. I believe Sckott is referring to the original West German RSO two-disc set. Although I have both versions, I haven't compared them side by side. I never liked the US pressing. It's muddy.

18. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

That's what I thought. Thanks, Keith.

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Great news!!!

20. KeithH

Michael, no problem. Be looking for the West German RSO version. It comes up on eBay from time to time.

21. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Depending on the mastering work, this is very fine news, indeed...especially given Sony's delay/cancellation(?) of the Byrds 5D and the Stevie Ray Vaughan 5.1 as well.....

Whether Quad masters will be used for some of these remains to be heard, but no reason why they don't go back and redo them....

ED:cool:

22. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Well, if they're doing a new 5.1 mix for that album, is it possible that they might be doing a *new* stereo remix as well? ( Not that that would necessarily be any better, but...)

I notice that there's a hybrid, stereo/multichannel SACD of John Hiatt's Bring the Family coming out as well. With all due respect to the classic rock fans here, I think I'm actually more excited about that title than I am about Clapton, the Allmans, etc. A wonderful album, and one that I've long suspected could be a standout sonically. (I never got around to picking that one up on MoFi, all's I have is the original aluminum CD.)

23. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Excellent news!

And here's why --- many folks will dump their old Dennis Drake mastered "Eat A Peach" West German pressings for the SACD. I'll get the first pressing and finally get my Allman Brothers fix!! I saw the same phenomenon with Pink Floyd's DSOTM on SACD where MFSL UD1's just started popping up.

I love re-issues! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

24. KeithH

Chris, great perspective and I'm with you. I haven't found the West German Eat a Peach disc yet. Thus far, I've only found the first pressing of Brothers and Sisters. Give me more Allman Bros.! :)

25. GregM

Up for those who missed the news. Gotta say, the more I think about Layla on SACD, the more enthused I grow. Universal's rock SACDs haven't let me down yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.