McCartney II secret meaning of the inner sleeve photos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by helter, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter

helter Forum Resident Thread Starter

In June of 1980 McCartney II was released. This was McCartney's first album after his famous bust in Japan the previous January where he spent over a week in prison for bringing pot into the country at the start of his tour.

A couple books many years later were published that claim John and Yoko played a role in McCartney's drug bust.

They claimed McCartney had offered pot to Lennon prior to leaving for Japan from NYC and that they would be staying in the Presidential suite at the Hotel Okura where the Lennon's typically spent their summers in Japan.
    Being heavily involved in magic/witchcraft and astrology John and Yoko felt this would damage their hotel karma at the Okura and because of this tipped off authorities of their stash preventing the McCartney's from staying in their suite at the hotel.

Did McCartney believe John and Yoko played a role in this?

Check out the photos below

1) Shows an unflattering photo of McCartney wearing Lennon like specs. He's also wearing a bathrobe. McCartney claimed in his last conversation with Lennon that John spent a lot of time wearing bathrobes while being a househusband.

2) Shows a childs necklace where he appears to be also creating a smaller childs face with large child like eyes. (Could this be Sean? )

3) Shows what could be asian eyes and unflattering facial expression with a mustache. Yoko??

Earlier in the decade Lennon and McCartney had a history of sending each other messages with music and photos.

The photos in McCartney II didn't mean much until these books came out about 10 years after Lennons death.

What do you think, is McCartney mocking John and Yoko because he thinks they were responsible for his bust?

Attached Files:

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

3. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

4. I always thought the first photo was his take on John, the second pic Ringo and the third Gerorge.

5. helter

A larger photo

Attached Files:

6. helter

John yes.

I don't see anything related to Ringo or George in the other 2 pics

7. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Interesting observation.

8. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I always thought (and still do) that it was him goofing around which he does quite often in front of a camera through the years. Just look at the photos inside the 1st McCartney album. Maybe Lennon picked his nose a lot and George considered himself buff.

theMess likes this.
  9. Well, the plastic ring for Ringo. And George kinda looked that way in pics like this:

Attached Files:

tedkul likes this.
  10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Paul wearing granny glasses, i.e.: John

Paul with a plastic ring shaped like an 'O', i.e.: Ringo

Paul slanting his eyes and wearing a mustache, references Far East mysticism, i.e.: George

Paul is not making fun of the other Beatles on the inner cover of 'McCartney II', it's a friendly nod to them, his way of giving them a shout out.

11. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

I THINK ITS AN ILLUMINATI MESSAGE!!!!!!!!!

12. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I too always thought it was a jab at John and Yoko because of the drug bust. I never understood what the necklace in the middle picture indicated though. The song Frozen Jap has to be connected to the incident too.

13. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Here's two outtake pics from the same time the last two were taken:

07-79h.jpg

07-79a.jpg

14. helter

I think he was trying to create a small child's face. Sean was 4 years old at the time of the release

15. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Is it supposed to be considered as a fact that McCartney blamed Lennon for the bust? If so, is there mention by McCartney about this somewhere?

16. paustin

paustin Member

lol this is such a stretch...fun none the less.....its the modern day "Paul is Dead"

17. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

18. helter

John was killed 6 months later, so I think it would have been very politically incorrect for Paul to mention anything at that point.
    Lennon's personal assistant said the Lennon's definitely played a role. What McCartney believes isn't known but these photos IMHO suggest he suspected their involvement.

19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Linda had said that Paul was dying to work with John again around this time.

20. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Regardless of why these pictures were used, it should be noted that these shots were taken the previous year in the Summer of '79 so they weren't staged or created after the 'bust' for the purpose of implying anything. That's not to say they weren't chosen for how they fit the bill and what McCartney was trying to get across...if anything at all.

905 likes this.
  21. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

It's possible that this information is nestled at the end of the diary he was keeping while incarcerated that he will let NO ONE read.

22. helter

Well we do know Paul used a photo of a beetle fu...king a beetle on the Ram album. Was that photo taken before or after the Beatles broke up? ;)

It's probably safe to assume John had the photo of him holding a pig taken after the Ram cover was released

23. gsmile

gsmile Forum Resident

It's a known fact: stoners love to take goofy pictures of themselves for sh#ts and giggles. I should know, I've done it myself and it was hilarious. I doubt Paul stage these photos as a dig towards his ex-bandmates or for any other secret purpose. If anything I imagine these silly photos were put on the gatefold sleeve to dull the shock of what Paul surely must have realised would be a difficult listen for most casual fans.

24. gsmile

gsmile Forum Resident

That is until the McCartney II reissue from Concorde comes out! :D

25. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Ahh, you're obviously in on it - sent here to throw us off. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.