BEATLES FIRST AMERICAN CONCERT! ON THE BIG SCREEN! One night only...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Friday night 2-11-11! Los Angeles, Get ready! 47 years to the exact date of the Beatles first USA concert. For the first time since 1964, the complete closed-circuit video broadcast of The Beatles First American Concert, with special guests The Beach Boys and Lesley Gore, will be screened theatrically by the American Cinematheque!
    Show starts at 7:30 pm, Friday, February 11th at the Egyptian Theater, 6712 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, California. Advance tickets available by phone via the American Cinematheque box office @ (323) 692-3431

My son and I will see you there!

YouTube preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFWoY_tNFgI

By the way, it's great to see my favorite KFWB DJ (and songwriter) the late Roger Christian again. He was a really nice guy and fun to talk to..

The phenomenon known as “Beatlemania” arrived on American shores from Great Britain when the Beatles landed at New York’s Kennedy airport for their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, February 9th, 1964. On February 11th, the group performed their first American concert at the Coliseum in Washington, D.C. This historic event was videotaped for a national closed circuit theatre audience, and packaged with pre-taped live sets by the Beach Boys and Lesley Gore for a 90-minute big screen spectacular.

This historic presentation, straight from the original broadcast master two-inch quad videotapes, has been unseen in its entirety since March 1964. Host Domenic Priore (author of Riot on Sunset Strip: Rock ’n’ Roll’s Last Stand in Hollywood) will be joined by rock ’n’ roll visual archivist Ron Furmanek and Boyd in bringing this unique program back to the big screen again after 47 years, the way it was intended to be.

The performance captured at this event is the longest set that would ever be filmed of the Beatles in concert, and easily transmits far more raw energy and attitude than would be present at later Shea Stadium, Australia, Japan or Germany tapings. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr all seem to be on stun from the attention and thrill of taking America by storm and becoming the entertainment phenomenon of the century. The recently-discovered master video tapes of this performance are a vast improvement over the fuzzy kinescopes that were a favorite of the underground movie house circuit during the ’70s; in those, the encore of “Twist and Shout” was cut off at the middle, and, the closing rave-up “Long Tall Sally” has not been screened anywhere since 1964. The entire performance is presented here in stunning, first-generation picture quality.

The Beach Boys and Lesley Gore segments were videotaped at the NBC Television Studios in Burbank, California (the same studio that later hosted Elvis Presley’s ’68 Comeback Special, Laugh-In and the Johnny Carson shows). The sound quality on these segments is a perfect reproduction, and showcases The Beach Boys (Brian Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, Al Jardine and Mike Love) in their performance prime.

This will be the first time the ENTIRE production has been seen in full since the two days it was screened as a nationwide closed-circuit theater event (the same system more commonly used for live sporting events). Nowhere will you be able to see The Beatles in a more riveting, rock-solid performance, with the audio and video quality clear as a bell, blasting through theater speakers on The Egyptian Theater's giant screen. Our test screenings left us bedazzled, feeling as though we had just seen The Beatles in person... it’s that good.

http://endlesssummerquarterly.blogspot.com/2010/12/beatles-complete-first-american-concert.html

Hosts Domenic Priore, Ron Furmanek and Alan Boyd will be joined by special guests TBA

2. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Wow that looks great......Ringo is tearing it up!!

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Wish I could go. Have fun Steve!

4. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Wow, that Lesley Gore footage is totally new....

5. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

Lesley Gore rules!

6. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Really wishin' I lived in LA right about now...

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Oh hell. Why did I ever move away from California...?

8. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

+1
    :crazy:

9. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I would love to see that!!!

10. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Looks like a road trip for me.

11. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I am so envious that you will be able to see this. That YouTube video took me right back to February 1964 when I was a Freshman year in high school. Really great memories of those times.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Glad I live in LA. I'll have to mosey on over, and check it out. I always find easy free parking near that theater.

btw, it does look like they are rocking out just a tad don't it!

13. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

wouldn't be so hard to take missing if stupid Apple would have released this years
    ago!!! Video that is they gave us that low rent Complete Beatles thing

14. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Kills me !! It just kills me !!!!

Surely if they can do this..they could do a wider distribution ! PLEASE...PLEASE PLEASE ME !!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Did I see a different camera angle than what is on that APPLE stream ? During THIS BOY..I don't remember that angle from below them like that.

Seems to have sounded better too on this version. The whole thing reminded me of the T.A.M.I. show only this time, showcasing the Beatles...WOW !! On a BIG SCREEN crankin' out the jams....Have a great time Steve and do some screaming for me ! :D

15. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Sounds like another Beach Boys lawsuit in the making...

16. dirwuf

That is the same angle...it was used only a couple of times in the show

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, the original parts might not have been available, either missing, or the owner(s) not interested in handing them over for free.

I do hope this is a fresh new edit done tastefully, mixed from those original quad tapes.

18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The Beach Boys clip looks identical to the "Lost Concert" that was released a few years ago.

Were the tapes of this (BBs and Beatles) really "lost" or just "misplaced" all these years?

19. dirwuf

Steve, could find out if the audio has been remastered in any way...and if not, do you think it can be improved?

20. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I AM GOING!!!! I was hoping someday I'd see all these performances as they were shown back then!

21. For anyone who can't go - like me - you can watch the video 'Beatles First US Visit' and get to see the concert in excellent fidelity at home. (no Beach Boys or Lesley Gore footage of course)

22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

23. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Great audio and video quality on the Fabs footage, and the Leslie Gore performances are a nice bonus! I hope at least the Beatles performances get an official DVD release.

24. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I would go just for that totally live Lesley Gore set. Would be nice if they screened this in movie theaters or something...

25. GarthVader

GarthVader New Member

Ticket prices:

$2 - $4

No, not to the Hollywood showing, to the concert back in '64.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.