Cool Living Stereo Promo Film

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by feinstein, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feinstein

feinstein Member Thread Starter

There's a very nice library of old 16 MM educational films available on the Internet, including a promo film about RCA's brilliant new Orthophonic Living Stereo. Go to:

http://www.archive.org/movies/

And search down through the alphabetical listings for "Living Stereo". There's also lots of other interesting old films that you may remember watching in elementary school... Enjoy!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

3. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Very cool! Dig that "modern" turntable! :) Probably tracks at a "very light" 25 grams... :D Great site, thanks!

4. Angel

Angel New Member

I loved that film by the way. Could that RCA guy any be any stiffer?

Great website too. Some of those old educational films were actually thrown in a dumpster by most school boards.

I'm glad they were saved by this dude. Educational films are some of the best peaks into the morals and values of the mid 20th century!

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Great movie. Wow.

I wonder if a lot of people actually went out of their way and upgraded their amp and arm/stylus combos. Also wonder if the desire to get "stereo" was a crazy hype that brought in a lot of people, similar to how people go crazy for their computers.

Yeah, folks - Whenever you get a chance to pick up a shaded dog "Stereo" (or Mono) they sound fairly remarkable. Check your local Salvation Army!

Check out also "Command Performance 1942" in the same web page. Shellac records being cut and pressed at Camden, NJ. Lotta great stuff on this page! Coolness.

6. Steve Hoffman

Command Performance 1942? Must have missed that. I'll go watch it now, goody!!!!

7. Sckott

Also (sorry) "Revolutionary New Triumph in Tape, A 1958" which looks like RCA had their mits on an early version of the Compact Cassette. Keep watching it, as it looks like the Living Stereo ad again, but it's not.

This is great. Get a laugh at some Marriage and Dating self-help films too! Dating in the 40's! It's a hoooot! ;)

8. Steve Hoffman

Check out also "Command Performance 1942" in the same web page. Shellac records being cut and pressed at Camden, NJ.

CORRECT! An amazing 20 minute film. Might have been photographed in 1941, but not THAT much has changed. This shows how a record is made, how the metal work is created from the wax, and how the record is pressed.

Totally neat. Download a free Real Player if you don't have one and then, go here:

http://www.archive.org/movies/

Click on "C" and search for Command Performance 1942.

Truly worth seeing.

9. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Just saw it.

WOW! Thanks Sckott for the tip. Steve is right, it's amazing. That's the first time I've ever really had a handle on how a record is made. Substitute vinyl for shellac and it could be RTI 2002 (no cute girls with their hair in buns there though I guess. Probably all automated now. :( :D )

10. Sckott

No, from what I've heard, the foreman @RTI does more on the line in small batches....

But back in the 60's and 70's, a lot was automated, but sleeving was supposedly by hand. Steve and Kevin have been at RTI, and maybe Steve can chime in if he wants?

11. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I want to thank feinstein for bringing this site to the attention of the forum. It's way cool. The only problem is I spent three hours watching these films yesterday and never got around to listening to any music or posting on the board.

The Command Performance film is excellent I particularly like the changer used in the last sequence although I'm not sure where the record goes when it drops out of sight before the new disc is put onto the turntable.

Steve, the engineer and tech in the film had suits and ties on. All I ever see you and Kevin in is jeans and shirts, are you sure you know what your doing?

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Thanks for sharing these videos. They are great watching.

13. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Master Steve and Wizard Kevin are supposed to wear lab coats. :D

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

RCA film

Hey, that film was AWESOME.

How about those beautiful component cabinets?

I wouldnt mind having those in my Den (below)

What do you guys think? would they fit the decor?

mikey

Attached Files:

15. Steve Hoffman

16. Sckott

Another one,

"How to Listen To... New Dimensions in Sound 1957"

S/b/k/a "Hi Fi For Dummies".

Looks like only certian things have changed. The idealism of "Hi-Fi" and "DIY" audiophiles are exemplified here. It also becomes a film that RCA uses to demonstrate stereo Hi-Fi components, a new idea for the home in the 50's.

The "Grand Canyon Suite" section has no audio. It's supposed to be when an RCA salesman synchs playback with the stereo demonstration record to the film for effect.

This site has TONS of info.

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I just watched the New Dimensions In Sound video and I agree with you Sckott. The Internet Movie Archive site does have tons of info in video form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.