Hi Rez downloads - how to play?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by duneman, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duneman

duneman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did a cursory check but couldn't find anything on this subject - how does one play a hi-rez download? Say 24/96? I can't burn it to CD - I could play it in Logic Apple's Pro Audio software but I can't author a DVD-A that I know of. Any ideas?

2. TheCassidy

TheCassidy New Member

Apart from buying a DAC, download and try VLC Player.

I can't really think of another off hand.

3. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

You use XLD to convert to ALAC and play in iTunes.

4. Kel bazar

Kel bazar Member

foobar 2000 DarkOne v2.1
    :edthumbs:

5. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Mediamonkey for playback + dac (some players can be used as dac as wel now, my ki pearl lite does the job).

Or burn it to a cd. Some programs have the ability to burn 24bit files I believe.

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Standard foobar 2000 might work as well. ;)

7. Foobar is what I use for high-resolution downloads.

8. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Thought about buying the new Eno in hi-rez, but yeah not having a way to play it beside via a PC is limiting my interest

9. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi duneman,

I believe these files are intended to be played using a "music server" application, like iTunes or any of the many others available today. In other words, they are computer files.

If the file is an .aif, .wav or .mp3, you can simply drag it into a program like iTunes or one of the others. If it is a .flac and you use iTunes, you'd need to either convert it to a format iTunes supports (it does not support) or use the Fluke plug-in that allows iTunes to play .flac files.

If you want to hear them on an audio disc player, you'd need the appropriate software to create the disc and the appropriate player to play it. For example, if you wanted to create a DVD-A, you'd need software that authors DVD-A discs and a DVD-A player to play the disc.

You could also burn a 24/96 "music DVD" playable in just about any ordinary (i.e. video) DVD player, with software like Roxio's Toast.

Finally, if you wanted to burn them to a CD - which would negate the "hi res" - you'd need to use software to convert the sample rate to 44.1k, then use a dither algorithm to decimate (i.e. convert) the file from 24-bit to 16-bit. The resulting 16/44 files could be burned onto a CD.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

10. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

11. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I use foobar2000 + ASIO4All + 24/96 USB DAC (HRT Music Streamer II) for Hi-Rez playback

12. I play hi-res files both flac or wav in Winamp 5.57, with some pluig-ins added of course

13. MartyTem

MartyTem Forum Resident

I've had good luck with a DVD-Audio authoring program that I found at http://cirlinca.com/. They have a 30 day free trial. I burned the Band On The Run 24/96 WAV files without a problem. They sound great!

14. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Foobar works very well.

Currently my USB DAC is set at 44.1. I do have the option of setting it to 96. I wonder what the conversion is. Does Foobar know that my DAC is set to 44.1 and downconvert a 96 file automatically? Or is this done at the driver stage?

This digital audio stuff is just as fussy as setting up a turntable and adjusting overhang, VTF, azimuth, different cables, etc. However, with software it is not as obvious what is going on inside the black box. I wish I understood better.

Foobar will even play 24/192 -- somehow it gets to my 44.1 DAC, but I don't know where the conversion is done, and with what algorithm.

15. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

You need ASIO driver (ASIO4All will do the job) and ASIO plugin for foobar2000 to have your output set to source's bit depth/sampling rate and bypass Windows kernel mixer

16. musicmax

musicmax New Member

+1

Cirlinca will burn Stereo 24/96 to DVD-Video as well so you can play it back on any DVD player, not just DVD-A compatible ones.

17. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

SWEET! Thanks guys :righton:

18. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

+2 on that. Worked great for me.

19. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

+3

20. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Tunes as ever
    If keen buy a Dac
    If not why?

21. duneman

Wow - thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I have a Mac Pro so that probably limits the choices somewhat - Cirlinca's app is PC.

Barry's suggestion of Roxio might be my best option. Would like to burn the 24/96 version of Band on the Run to a DVD and play it on my Oppo. Nice to listen on the computer hooked up to the studio monitors but better on the big rig. :righton:

Since I'm a recording musician I'd like to make my music available as hi-res downloads. I have a CDs worth of material in 24/48 and w/my new Mac Pro I plan to record from now on at 24/96.

22. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

23. duneman

Will iTunes play a 24/96 file?

24. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I use Winamp 5.581 as well for .wav and .flac.

I burn to DVD to play using Nero.

25. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Yes, but it depends on the format. It will play a 24/96 WAV or ALAC file but not a 24/96 FLAC file. Note that both WAV and FLAC can be converted to ALAC with the app XLD (assuming you're on a Mac).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.