Elektra Compilation for recent MOJO magazine. A lot of needledrops!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by william shears, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. william shears

william shears Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone here had a good listen to the recent 'Early and Rare Classics' cd that came with the issue of MOJO with Jim Morrison on the cover?
    I was very surprised listening to it how many of the tracks were needledrops, with clicks and pops intact! On a track like 'Blues on the Ceiling' by Fred Neil there is plenty of groove noise, same with 'Masters of War' by Judy collins. It's a bit weird because I have the Fred Neil album on cd (japanese) from a few years ago and it's clearly from the master, not a needledrop. I would have thought Elektra had a reasonable mastertape archive?
    The cd is compiled by Holzman and mastered by Bruce Botnick, is it possible that Holzman actually used some of his own vinyl pressings of the LPs to make the comp?
    It's puzzling.....

2. william shears

Bumping this..someone must have Fred Neil on US/UK Elektra cd or Judy Collins? Can confirm whether or not they use needledrops????

3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

That's odd, the UK Elektra/Rhino 2fers released a few years of these artists are from tapes and are quite good.

4. mtatmba

mtatmba Forum Resident

I paid $8.95 @ Barnes & Noble for the Mojo Mag with the "Free" cd. I didn't expect a DCC / Audio Fidelity type of Gold CD.

5. william shears

Yes, but that's not the point I'm making. The easiest thing to do would be to compile the most commonly available digital masters.
    My puzzlement is nothing to do with 'DCC/Audio Fidelity' sound (and if you had actually read my first post this should be very clear?!) but to do with the possibility that Jac Holzman has for some reason chosen to compile together some needledrops of Elektra material that may not be available anywhere else but on this CD!
    For a 'giveaway' disc that would be quite remarkable.

6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

It is weird.

Makes me wonder if Elektra knows where their mastertapes are any more...

7. It's just a covermounted CD.

But it's strange that they couldn't use other CD's.

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Maybe Holzman didn't have all of those songs on CD. He compiled it himself, and it sounds like he used his own record collection to do so. Doesn't bother me. I have most of those songs anyway.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It's possible that some of those song's masters are MIA.

Evan

10. william shears

Here are the tracks that are needledrops. If Holzman did use his own LPs to compile this then I think it's pretty cool, especially for a covermount. And for people into these artists it means new masterings of these tracks available on cd.
    1: O Love Is Teasin' - Jean Ritchie*
    2: St. James Infirmary - Josh White*
    3: Banjo In The Hollow - The Dillards
    4: Green Rocky Road - Kathy and Carol
    5: Yes I See - Bob Gibson
    6: Blues On The Ceiling - Fred Neil*
    7: Masters Of War - Judy Collins*
    8: I Ain't Marching Anymore - Phil Ochs
    9: Linin' Track - Koerner, Ray and Glover
    10: Downtown Blues - Geoff Muldaur
    11: Milk Cow Blues - Tom Rush*
    12: Morning Glory - Tim Buckley
    13: I Got My Mojo Working - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band*
    14: Magazine Lady - John Koerner & Willie Murphy UK Album
    15: Seven And Seven Is - Love

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I really don't believe the masters of those particular songs are missing. I think it was just a quick-and-dirty off-the-cuff homemade compilation made by the man who started the label. Nothing more, nothing less.

12. william shears

Planning magzines (and the covermounts that go with them) is never "off-the-cuff". Believe me, I used to do it for a living. There is a bunch of licensing **** you have to go thru. Which in this case was via Rhino.
    Your indifference is fairly clear. I still think it's nice that Jac and Bruce got together to do this, maybe using their vinyl resources.

13. fortherecord

Shame there are no Phil Ochs tracks. I understand that Phil is not even featured on the Elektra box set, what's up with that?

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Are you referring to the FOREVER CHANGING Elektra box that came out in 2006? Phil Ochs is definitely represented in that one.

15. william shears

On the comp I listed above!!??
    Erm..track 8 - 'I Ain't Marching Anymore'!

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

My comments were more or less a response to the speculation that the masters may be missing. No one posting in this thread has a clue one way or the another. I'm not sure why you chose to personalize my comments as "indifference". :rolleyes:

17. fortherecord

You're right, I guess I overlooked that. I thought that I read in that article that Phil was left off the box set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.