My review of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Damn The Torpedoes" ORG vinyl 2-disk set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Ah, fond memories of 1979. A great album, one of my faves of all-time, actually. Now, courtesy of ORG, we have a deluxe vinyl edition that is well worth the 45 buck asking price.

First, you get the first vinyl cutting of this album from the true master tapes since the BACKSTREET first cut back in 1979. The original first press was cut by ol' Greg Calbi at Sterling in New York. This is BACKSTREET MCA-5105, the "compromise" that was arrived at when MCA bought ABC and threw the group into turmoil. At any rate, why go in to all that? A great album was created and it has stood the test of time.

You've seen the selling points for this new ORG release? No? Well, take a look:

Mastered from the Original Analog Master Tapes at Bernie Grundman Studios

Pressed on 180g 2LP at Pallas in Germany, One of World's Best Plants

Deluxe Edition Contains 9 Bonus Tracks (7 Previously Unreleased)

Liner Notes, Lyrics, Rare Photos Round Out Gorgeous Package

First 15,000 Copies Include Free High-Resolution Download

A monumental breakthrough, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Damn the Torpedoes stands as a towering accomplishment of album mastery, fine songwriting, incredibly tight performance, and clean, timeless production. Replete with hook-led singles, arena-rock choruses, Mike Campbell's biting guitar playing, and snarling attitude, with plenty of musical references to the Byrds and Rolling Stones peppering the originals, the 1979 record established the blueprint that the iconic band would follow for decades to come.

And if instantly recognizable songs such as "Refugee," "Here Comes My Girl," "Even the Losers," and "Don't Do Me Like That" weren't already enough, Damn the Torpedoes has just been given a deserved upgrade, with this deluxe edition from ORG adding nine bonus tracks (seven previously unreleased) and phenomenal mastering from the original analog master tapes done at Bernie Grundman Studios. It's also pressed at Pallas in Germany, arguably the best vinyl plant in the world. This is not to be missed.

The highlights of the newly uncovered bonus material include two studio tracks, "Nowhere" and "Surrender," both written by Tom Petty and recorded and completed during the Damn The Torpedoes sessions. The never-before-heard "Nowhere" was thought to have been lost in 1979 when the tape boxes were being moved daily to avoid the possibility that court bailiffs would claim them as part of Petty's assets in the lawsuit at the time. Recording engineer Ryan Ulyate recently found the song while he was listening to tapes searching for alternate versions of songs to be included on the current release. "Surrender" was a mainstay of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' concerts for many years although this original studio version recorded for Damn The Torpedoes, which includes Stan Lynch on drums, never saw the light of day until now.

The second LP also boasts an original demo for the B-side "Casa Dega" and an alternate take of "Refugee" as well as a trio of live performances at London's Hammersmith Odeon (from March 6, 1980). The packaging is superb. Rock journalist/author David Fricke contributes liner notes while rare photos and lyrics to each track complete the experience. Sonically, no early-era Petty album has ever sounded better. Mastered for vinyl from the original analog master tapes at Bernie Grundman Studios and pressed by Pallas in Germany, Damn the Torpedoes rocks.

The first 15,000 copies include a free download of the entire album in one of three high-quality digital formats (320k MP3, 24/96 FLAC, or Apple Lossless), redeemable until November 9, 2011.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Damn the Torpedoes - Deluxe Edition:

LP One - Original Album
    1. Refugee
    2. Here Comes My Girl
    3. Even The Losers
    4. Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)
    5. Century City
    6. Don't Do Me Like That
    7. You Tell Me
    8. What Are You Doin' In My Life?
    9. Louisiana Rain

LP Two - Bonus Tracks
    1. Nowhere*
    2. Surrender*
    3. Casa Dega/B-side
    4. It's Rainin' Again/B-side
    5. Shadow Of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)/Live - Hammersmith Odeon 1980*
    6. Don't Do Me Like That/Live - Hammersmith Odeon 1980*
    7. Somethin' Else/Live - Hammersmith Odeon 1980*
    8. Casa Dega/Demo*
    9. Refugee/Alternate Take*

*Previously unreleased

----------------------------------------------------
    So, as you can see, the two disks are filled with nifty bonus tracks and B-sides (that we Petty collectors dearly loved back in the day). In fact, when I got these I put side three on (by mistake) and was actually amazed for a minute to hear a song I wasn't expecting. It was a treat..

So, how does it sound? Great, actually. Could be just very slightly aggressive sounding depending on your vinyl playback setup. I happen to have my original BACKSTREET Demo-Not For Sale 1979 pressing that I compared to this one and they both have good qualities. The 1979 first pressing is nice but slightly hollow sounding, with less bass than this version. It's still a great pressing but this new version can easily replace it if you don't have the old version. Heck, even if you do, this new release (and bitchin' bonus cuts) offer our ears a nice, exciting presentation that just reminds us (as if we didn't know) how wonderful this album (still) is.

So grab this and groove. You won't be sorry...

Attached Files:

Gardo likes this.
  2. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I haven't compared it to my SS1/SS2 Sterling yet, but I am spinning side one of the red vinyl now and it is sounding fabuloso. :agree:

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks, great review.

4. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Stop tempting me!

I can resist anything except temptation.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

As a proud owner of an original Backstreet / Sterling bought in a Smyrna, Tennessee Western Auto back in 1979 (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and I was 21 ), looking forward to doing my own comparison.
    Thanks Steve ! :D

6. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Thanks Mr, Hoffman, I wish you would post and write more album reviews.

7. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Yes indeed :agree:

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thanks Steve.

Added to Recommended CDs and LPs thread. :righton:

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

So the red "colored" vinyl sounds every bit as good as any black vinyl pressing here in this case? I recall Steve talking about an issue with colored vinyl in a recent post.

10. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I played it last night. It's a great album with beautiful sound. For those on the fence about purchasing it, you shouldn't be disappointed if you pick it up.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Count me as one of those wanting Steve to post more reviews. Thanks Steve.

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Only have the red vinyl to go on but if the black is any better I'll be shocked. The sonics on this thing is as Steve describes. I'm sure there must be some out there that sprung for both so hopefully we'll get a comparison.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I gather Steve is not a fan of colored vinyl. This was a July post on the subject in the forums.

14. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

dang, just ordered the blu-ray

15. Gonna keep my eyes peeled for this one. Back in '79 I just got my first 'real' stereo & the first record I bought & played on it was 'Damn The Torpedoes'. A very big deal for a 14-year-old kid. I've loved it ever since...

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I know what Steve said about colored vinyl but trust me that the red vinyl used on this version couldn't be more quiet. It is certainly one of the best pressings of any album that I own.

17. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

I was eying the 24/96 download on HDtracks last night ($34 for just the download, eek!).

Anybody heard it yet?

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Western Auto sold records?

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm glad to hear that this vinyl release is so good. Does the Deluxe Edition CD set come close?

20. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

For a period of time Western Auto sold all kinds of consumer goods (like a small departmant store) - they were found mostly in smaller towns - now, back to the Petty red vinyl thread.

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Smyrna was small back then. :agree:

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It's worth noting that the Rickenbacker 620/12 that Petty is sportin' on the cover is the THIRD Rickenbacker 12-string ever made!

#1 was a 360/12 presented to Las Vegas performer, Suzi Arden, in 1963.
    #2 was the famous "A Hard Day's Night" 360/12 presented to George Harrison in Feb '64
    #3 was this guitar, owned by Mike Campbell, and manufactured in Dec '63.

#4 was owned by Gerry Marsden of Gerry & the Pacemakers, and commissioned by Brian Epstein!

grx8 and Brian Mc like this.
  23. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Steve, Thanks or the review and notes on this release.

Tom Petty has done a great job of keeping audiophiles and long time fans in mind with his recent releases. I love the vinyl and audiophile Mudcrutch release and am looking forward to playing my red wax Damn The Torpedoes tomorrow!! Special thanks to Ryan Ulyate for digging out Nowhere and Surrender (a fave of mine) and for joining us on the forum!!

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Colored vinyl is usually noisy. How about these?

James Glennon likes this.
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

See my posts above but no. Totally quiet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.