The new Japanese Beatles LP's are cut from digital sources

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The new Japanese Beatle LP's are cut from digital sources

Mikey Fremer reports:

"The upcoming Beatles issues by Toshiba/EMI originally reported to be coming from analog sources, may not be, after all based on what our sources in Japan are telling us. We are trying to clarify this and will report to you as soon as we have confirmation one way or the other. In the meantime, caution is the operative word, as these will be expensive and the last digitally mastered series from Toshiba/EMI sounded awful! We apologize for the previous misinformation."

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I KNEW IT.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

These will best be the old TOJP series with new numbers. Betcha it's the same metalwork.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I had a feeling about this too. What a shame.

Todd

5. RetroSmith

Someone, I forgot who, told me that when you enter into contract to release Beatles product, you have to use the "Approved" masters.......which today are the Digital ones.

6. RetroSmith

metal

>>>I bet you are 100% right.

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

This is exactly what I expected.

I'm not gloating, I'm disappointed. :(

8. RetroSmith

me too.

9. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

me three.

10. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Did you guys read Mike Fremer's statement? Even he doesn't know yet if they're digital. I think they are, but am still waiting for something other than speculation.

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The trick here may be in the marketing and the literal translation of the term "Analog".

Sure. A digital transfer from a CD to laquer can be considered "Analog" by strict design (LP), but we're still talking the same digital product as the CD, and we've seen US, UK and other Japan issues cut from the same "cookie cutter" digital CD or tape.

Someone had a good point; the only sound representation approved by Apple and the Beatles camp is the Cds we know. We're really led to believe with high confidence that Toshiba is going to use that to cut from once again, like before. Easiest thing to do! Heck, knowing how well they keep and store metal parts, I'm sure there's a foreman there that wrapped them lovingly and stored the old TOJP mothers quietly away.

But true- A good LP is a good LP. We're only gonna know when we hear em. I know from the old series, some sounded good, others WERE terrible.

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Does Apple think our ears are gonna fall off if we hear The Beatles catalogue cut with true analogue masters again?

13. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Wow, it's seems calls to Japan have tripled in the last week based on these reissues alone. I know Rick from Red Trumpet is still looking into this and will provide confirmation as soon as possible.

I'm hoping for a miracle here.

14. RetroSmith

My take is that for Fremer to even bother to issue that statement, somethings up, and it aint good.

15. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I don't claim to be an expert in this area, but I think anyone who's sitting around waiting for Apple to "do the right think" either sonically or in terms of content is gonna have a long wait!

16. Rick

Rick New Member

Ughh... been going back and forth with Mikey (Fremer) myself on this - he got his news from a reviewer over there.

I am also trying this avenue with some others we know in Japan.....

Stay tuned... Obviously, if these turn out to be dig there will be no problem cancelling these - as we will....

I am not totally convinced yet (hopefully this is not wishful thinking) but am getting less confident...

THANKS
    Rick

17. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I fear that trying to get a straight answer on this issue from someone at Toshiba Japan could be harder than getting blood from a stone. :mad:

18. Rick

Rick New Member

phew... Vinyl-Addict let me tell you......

This is why this whole ordeal is strange. Generally, the Japanese (especially Toshiba) are upfront about the mastering, etc.

This has been a complete yo-yo... elation when I first recd my solicitation to cynicism (but at the same time confused) when we can not get the proper info... Heck, I want these done well for MY collection as well..

I am trying not to color fact from what I want to hear on this, which would be bad for my collection and business....

But I can not stop wondering if they are intending to use the old analog tapes but for some of the control reasons stated are not communicating this as they usually do....

The early 90's TOJP series clearly stated they were digital....

Poor Toshiya in Japan called me yesterday at 10amEST (midnight there) and 4pm (6am there) , then 9am (11pm there) today to let me know he did NOT get any clarification yet. The man is a Saint...

19. Rick

Rick New Member

Ok, we think this Toshiba issue is well, ridiculous... just got this from someone who talked direct with EMI/UK:

EMI and they told him that the Let It Be Naked would have a 7 inch bonus disc and it would be a gatefold. EMI could not confirm what pricing is yet. XXXX said this was quite confusing.

OK!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.