Ornette Coleman The Shape Of Jazz To Come - 2010 WB/Rhino LP Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SergioRZ, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I can't find details about the new reissue of Ornette Coleman's "The Shape Of Jazz To Come" from WB/Rhino.

Elusivedisc does not mention anything about what type of source was used or who mastered this one... (they show much more details for the Coltrane reissues that I believe to be part of the same series)

I would guess that this Ornette LP is being made by the same people (Bernie Grundman) and also using original master tapes to produce 100% analog LP...

Anyone has details about this? Thanks!

:righton:

2. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I'm also very interested in this one. Thanks.

3. SergioRZ

Well, I guess I'll just go on and buy it without knowing the details... I hope it is good :righton:

4. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

5. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Cool...I didn't know about this one. Will be watching this thread! :)

6. carledwards

Mine is on the way, too!

7. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

There was a 180gr. reissue put out a few years ago.... can still be found for about $14. Anyone know how it sounds?

8. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

I was wondering this myself...I found it in my local store yesterday and was confused, thinking for a moment it was the new one. There's a sticker on the back that says it was manufactured by Rhino, distributed by Scorpio Music. Anybody heard this one?

9. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

my 180gr Shape..:the sound is quite detailed if a little crisp on some systems. Charlie Haden's bass is really vibrant. The stereo image: horns left & right with the bass and drums center deep but nice presence. The vinyl is the bumpiest I have ever seen (short waviness all around) :sigh:, clearly some major QC problem, but relatively quiet surface.Jacket is good.

The 'Free Jazz' has a warmer sound and flat vinyl.Nice gatefold

10. SergioRZ

You are talking about the earlier release "distributed by Scorpio Music", right?

11. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

He must be...

12. e630940

13. SergioRZ

I wouldn't touch those with a very long stick.... :sigh:

That's why I'm interested in these new WB/Rhino releases that should be done properly :righton:

I hope they release "Free Jazz" also... and "Ole" Coltrane!!! All with great mastering from original sources produced in good old fashioned all analog cutting and pressed with care!

14. e630940

did not mean to scare:laugh: I know the word 'Scorpio' does that to some, but honestly the 'Free Jazz' I have is quite a nice pressing all around. I could have exchanged the Shape but it plays fine, just needs a little warmth (like in tubes) which I can add. IMO this is one that would benefit more from the SH touch than the BG one, if you know what I mean.

I hope you post your opinion of the new one

15. SergioRZ

Thank you for the details :righton:

I'm waiting for my copy of Shape, this is one of my all time favorite Jazz records :)

16. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I just received my copy. BG's initials are in the deadwax, the cover is thick glossy cardstock, and the sound is fantastic, even more impressive than the My Favorite Things reissue IMO. Here's hoping for more titles from this series....

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Changes of The Century has the greatest sonic among the OC's Atlantic albums from this period IMO.

18. StirBlues

StirBlues Forum Resident

Good to know, might have to get this eventually, as originally Atlantics are in my experience usually played to death

19. carledwards

Got mine today and it really sounds gorgeous. Unless you have pristine original pressings, this is probably as good as it gets. Bernie still knows how to cut a record, that's for sure! Ornette and Don really benefit with startling presence and the soundstage is wonderful. I find the original stereo LP still is a bit warmer on the bottom but it's not a huge difference. This was extremely well-done and I sincerely hope they'll do a few other Ornette Atlantics like this. Very tasty.

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

If anyone is able to upload a needle drop sample I'd love to hear it to compare to my original. Terrific album and I am glad to hear Ornette Coleman is being reissued by audiophile labels.

21. carledwards

I'm probably going to needle-drop this in 24/192. Can you handle that res? I could down-convert also, if necessary. :D In any case, I'll be happy to upload a sample as I'll be creating a DVD-A for convenience, anyway.

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Any file resolution will be fine. Thanks :)

23. carledwards

Give me a couple days and it will be my pleasure! :righton:

24. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Thanks for doing this, I'm very interested to hear too!

25. carledwards

Doing the needle drop now. I'll get some samples up soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.