Rolling Stones Vinyl Box Sets Nov 2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr5D, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr5D

Mr5D Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello and sorry if this has already been reported. I did do a search and couldn't find anything about these forthcoming box sets - two of them!

The first one is of particular interest as it includes Rolling Stones No2 - which has been out of print for many years - and looks like it based around the UK releases including two EP's. Check 'em out:

http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stone...1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1286490038&sr=1-1-spell

http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stone...1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1286490768&sr=1-1-spell

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

This looks interesting, if not a bit overpriced. I wonder if they are analog?

3. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Thanks for the link. Now we need to find more info and details.

4. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Interesting set - the 60s one - might also be the first time that the nice sounding remastered DSD stereo tracks from 12x5 have been available on vinyl. I would not expect them to be analogue.

5. keith1959

keith1959 Forum Resident

The original issue UK sleeves too (from the Amazon link), High Tide & Green Grass and Through The Past Darkly (was it issued there with the corners missing?) differed from the US counterparts, but not the 1968 sleeve of Beggars Banquet.
    They have the big chunky DECCA logo's too not "ABKCO" on the covers

6. aoxomoxoa

If you look closely it says that they are rematered, so I assume they are digital. I will save my $400

7. aoxomoxoa

... remastered ^

8. Strange to see these two volumes as they cover both the Abkco and post-Abkco releases. For the first set, I wonder which titles will be in stereo, and which in mono.

9. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Looks nice. I'm wondering if the Abkco albums will be the same as the 2003 versions (which I already have). Would for sure like a copy of Rolling Stones No2 and the two EP's.

10. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

And kind of odd to see Metamorphosis (from 1975) in with the 60s set, although it makes sense because of the tracks it contains.

This would be a chance to release some new DSD mono mixes, if they had a mind to. I suspect they'll keep the mono stuff to a minimum, but I bet more Stones fans would be tempted to buy such an expensive item if it promised some mono Aftermath or BtButtons material.

11. Mr5D

Yes imagine that... still a hell of a lot to fork out just for those two goodies :shake:

12. Well through in a mono SATANIC MAJESTIES and it would become more tempting. Throw in a bonus 45 with the mono mix of 'Sympathy" and a b-side of the alternate 'Street Fighting Man' and you might get some buyers at the advertised price.

13. Mr5D

Yes of course, How did overlook that one?!!!

14. jude7265

jude7265 Forum Resident

Almost $800 for two box sets? I'll pass.

15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

AT LAST!

Finally we are getting the UK configuration re-released!

I'll be buying the first set!!!

16. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Box 1 is ABKCO, Box 2 is the Universal 'Back To Black' series.

17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Every day I visit this site and every day I become poorer!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Certainly will be same as the fine DSD vinyl remasters from 2003 so at this price a rip off. Just wait and hope the previously unavailable vinyl titles will eventualy get seperate releases. Otherwise a case of buying same stuff over again for a couple of discs.

19. TheCassidy

TheCassidy New Member

I really wish that they were available separately. My love for the Stones is limited to three albums and some of their great early singles.

If I could get decent re-issues of Let It Bleed & Sticky Fingers on vinyl without paying for a box set to get them I'd be happy.

But I'll bet for you Stones guys this is as exciting as it was for the Beatles guys on 09/09/09.

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

+1

I'd love to get a vinyl version of that tremendous 12x5 DSD reissue as all the DSD vinyl reissues I bought bested the SACD versions but I have no intention of rebuying them all in a pricey box just for one or two LPs. As for the post-Abcko stuff, I already have the 2009 Sticky Fingers vinyl box and the Exile reissue. Neither is as terrible as some would claim but they aren't as good as original issue vinyl. As for everything post-exile, mint vinyl for it all is readily available.

I just noticed the Abba vinyl box thread too. This is becoming an alarming trend to issue all these pricey boxes instead of the individual albums. The economy may be recovering, but it's slow and a lot of folks don't have the cash around to buy pricey boxes whereas they might be keen to pick up individual titles.

21. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

No question, and the recovery (at least in the UK) is going to be really slow. We're being offered hefty vinyl boxes from: Bowie [STS], Dylan [Mono], Rolling Stones, Abba, Beatles. Some good stuff that I would like but would really need to go for individual titles because disposable income is at a minimum.

22. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

I agree picking up individual titles would be great.
    Maybe after the box is released they will do the individual titles.
    The box itself on the Abkco set looks awful with the big tounge Not what it should be for a 60's set.

23. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

What you mean is that every day you visit this site and every day you become musically richer ... and poorer all at the same time.

24. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

most likely the old dsd remasters vinyl.

25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

For the 60's box, yes.

For the post-Abkco box it's interesting that it's coming out in November yet the individual LPs are scheduled for March 2011 (according to the Stones' web site).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.