Does Herb Alpert ever play live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by taters, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taters

taters New Member Thread Starter

I saw him when I was 12 years old and he was fantastic. You don't hear much about him nowadays. I wonder If he ever plays live shows. He must be in his 70's. I know at one time he had a record label. Do you know what he is doing nowadays.

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Herb Alpert owns his own club in the L.A. area - Vibrato's - and has performed there periodically when he feels like it. In 2008, Herb and his wife, Lani Hall, toured the country playing in small clubs, getting a feel for playing for live audiences. During that tour, he recorded many of the performances and released an album, "ANYTHING GOES".

In 2009, he expanded the tour to include some larger venues and in more cities. Since then, he and Lani have been in the studio working on a new album (I FEEL YOU) due out in the fall.

The ad insert below is featured in the new British release of THE ESSENTIAL HERB ALPERT which contains both DEFINITIVE HITS plus last year's ANYTHING GOES.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I was not aware of the 2008 tour!

I think he should come to Canada, too.... :) Or Buffalo will do!!!

4. HGN2001

2008 saw him in a few small clubs like Joe's Pub in NY, which is where I traveled to see him.

5. HGN2001

Last year (2009) he played in Philly at the Annenberg Center on the night of Game Six of the World Series! Talk about being conflicted!

Harry

6. HGN2001

In 2008 he only played San Diego, Los Angeles, New York, Washington, DC, Boston, Seattle, Napa Valley, and San Francisco.

The 2009 tour expanded that list greatly.

More info might still be at http://www.herbalpert.com

Harry

7. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Good show?

8. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

He was just here in Portland and I missed him, but a friend that went said he was great...

9. HGN2001

Fabulous show. All American and Brazilian standards, many of which are on the CD.

In his 2009 show, there was a section where Lani sang her portion of a song, and Herb wandered around the other side of her where there was no microphone - and he played his solo "unplugged". Exquisite - he just used the room's own acoustics.

The show's were very informal too - he's open up the room for questions from the audience, ensuring that each concert was in its own way, unique.

Harry

10. There's also a DVD/Blu-ray of a '90s Alpert concert shot in high definition at the Montreaux Jazz Festival that's fun to watch...it also has a lossless DTS-MA/24-bit 5.1 surround soundtrack and 1080i video resolution!!! It's distributed by Image Entertainment, if I'm not mistaken.:edthumbs:

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

He played a small venue in North Vancouver a year or two ago.

12. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Jeff, even though we've met, I don't think you're referring to me, but I was at that show and it was great. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.