WHO'S NEXT Japanese SHM-SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

I originally posted my review of the Japanese SHM-SACD of WHO'S NEXT yesterday on another thread that was closed soon afterwards at the OP's request. I really considered my words carefully before I wrote anything, so I'm starting this thread dedicated to the SHM-SACD. Here are my thoughts on this particular disc:

It sounds great, just great.

I found I had to turn up the volume significantly for this disc. I also noticed the disc sounded better as it went along ... meaning, as my ears acclimated. These two events are unusual. As a result, I played the disc twice, consecutively. I didn't want to write a word about WHO's NEXT on this forum without really paying attention. We all know why that is.

I have WHO'S NEXT on the original Decca Records vinyl LP; An MCA Records vinyl reissue (don't remember why I bought that one); cassette; First MCA CD pressing; Canadian CD pressing; MCA Gold CD; MFSL Gold CD; Two-CD DELUXE version; and now, the Japanese SHM-SACD. I list 'em all to let you all know I've heard this record a few times.

I like the SACD just fine. The stereo separation is beautiful and I was unaware of some of the overdubs before, such as acoustic guitars chiming away on some electric songs. I assume this is the result of my having played this disc louder than I usually play 'em at my house. There was some very minor distortion, I think, when Moon was playing open hi-hats on some tracks, but that's likely in the master tape.

Once again, the SHM-SACD proves that the series has been thoughtfully mastered. Again, there is a consistency among the aural characteristics on all the titles I've heard so far that I appreciate. I'm getting to be able to understand how the discs are going to sound ... not a bad thing. This series is truly a series, which is to say there's a definite "sound" they're going for ... and thus achieving, consistently. Maybe I'm being presumptive. I should also mention that I'm hearing all these SHM-SACD discs with my subwoofer firing away via my Outlaw Audio Bass Manager. To me, it's essential to have a little extra bass going on while playing stereo-only discs.

The reason this SACD will not become my go-to disc on this title is based upon the results to my personal WHO'S NEXT litmus test:

How prominent is the distortion on Roger Daltrey's voice during "the scream" in "Won't Get Fooled Again"?

Answer: It's not bad at all on this SHM-SACD, but it certainly has more more presence than on the Steve Hoffman-mastered MCA CD.

As a matter of fact, I simply prefer the slightly "brighter" sound of the Hoffman CD. So this SHM-SACD easily earns Second Place in my WHO'S NEXT rating behind the MCA Steve Hoffman-mastered CD. Not bad at all, but just not the best.

JeffR714 likes this.
  2. Thanks for the review, you obviously put some thought into what you wrote. The more reviews I see of the SHM-SACDs the better, as it can get financially difficult to just pick up every single one that is available when each goes for over $50. My copy is coming in the mail hopefully safe and sound.

3. I posted to buy it just for John's very visceral base line that is now so lovingly reproduced.

Did you find that to be true on your system, rmstamberg?

jazzsphere2005 likes this.
  4. I also have the Steve Hoffman mastered MCA CD. In addition, I have the Japanese first pressing P33P. Me personally, I prefer the P33P mastering. It sounds more open to me, warmer and more natural.

I am wondering if the new SHM-SACD is as good as the P33P CD. I would be very surprised if it is. I am not willing to spend $50 just to find out.

5. captone

captone Forum Resident

I recently received my copy of Who's Next and am extremely happy with it. This is the best I have ever heard this album sound. I have heard this album on many systems over the years and I even owned an original UK LP pressing at one time. I'm not sure if I've ever heard the Steve Hoffman mastered version, but don't really need to now, as I feel that the CD medium is not capable of sounding as good as a decent mastering/pressing on SACD or vinyl (yes, I've heard lots of MFSL, original Japan, etc CDs). The bass guitar on this Who's Next SACD sounds correct (I am a bass player), round & full as opposed to the "hollow" sounding bass that I hear on CDs.

6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

For me, on headphones, it's a tough choice between my Canadian MCA SH (upsampled to 192/24bit) and the SACD. Different but equally great sound, especially the acoustic guitars and the bass.

The choice just about as difficult as having to choose between the Ryko of Bowie's Scary Monsters (after the SH eq fix and imiliarly upsampled to DVD-A) and the stereo SACD.

7. rstamberg

Yes, I did, in fact, really enjoy Entwistle's bass throughout ... and "My Wife" is a favorite of mine. It's one of those studio recordings where Moon's primal drums style really helped make the song a better one ... and I think it was pretty good to begin with. Compare it to John Entwistle's solo version of "Heaven And Hell" (another favorite) on SMASH YOUR HEAD AGAINST THE WALL ... a decent alternative, but without Keith Moon's drumming, well, no contest.

8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Thought this would be the first time I would ever be in agreement with one of your reviews on new remastered Japan product. But alias it was not meant to be. You had me until you said the SHM-SACD would to be your go to disc. It will be mine.

Roland,

You and have have similar mastering tastes. Although I am in the SH Japan for US and Canadian [based on SH's work that may even be better?] camp, the P33P is an excellent CD. This SHM-SACD however is something special, so special that I am stating I think it is worth the money. One of the best pieces of digital media I've ever heard. Is it better than the Who's Next CD's mentioned earlier, well that will come down to individual preference but at the very least it is a great 24/96 representation of the master tapes. Greatest surprise is that is was done by Jon (Gh)Astely, but giving credit where it is due he did a fantastic job. Wish all his work was in the neighborhood of this SHM-SACD.

9. Yes, I know exactly what you mean on "My Wife". When that began, my ears perked up and soon thereafter that bassline was punching my solar-plexus, in a good way. The smile from song to song never left.

And, is there a better finale to a Rock lp than "Won't Get Fooled Again"?

Has been, is, and will be my favorite lp and this edition is the best I've heard.

10. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Roland,

If you like the P33P more than Steve's mastering, you may not like the SHM-SACD.

It has even less of that ... sort of ... "midrange air" than the Canadian MCA. The P33P (aka West German Polydor) is just too jacked up in the mids for me. I think Steve's disc beats that mastering pretty handily, but the new SHM-SACD is the best I've heard. Apparently rolled flat from the masters in the UK and sent to Japan.

Gardo likes this.
  11. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

IMO, this is just nonsense, but tastes in sonics obviously differ.

I think Steve's version beats the P33P Japan/W. German Polydor mastering down pretty badly. That Polydor job has enough air to have birds inhabiting the disc.

David del Toro likes this.
  12. I guess I have to revisit "Who's Next". It's been a while since I last compared the various versions.

Anyhow, I might give the SHM-SACD a try after all...

13. I purchased this SHM-SACD as promised in a deleted topic {the one where another forum member 2x wished death on me, for asking for a 20 sec sample from a CD} if certain people here said it was good.

This is the first remaster in along time I could crank the wattage on and it sounded great. Much in the way an old CD can be turned up and sounds better an better. The bass and midrange were very nice.

I only have a regular old US CD of Who's Next album. This SACD seems to sound better to me. This was the first time I listened to this album in it's entirety. It is very good even if it is music from my grandparent's era.

This disc sounds as good as it does due to the transfer [flat?] and the SACD hires medium itself and not the material of which the disc is made. Nothing will cause me to change my mind on that. I still think SHM is marketing snake-oil to coerce extra money from us, but this disc is excellent, possibly even worth the 6 sawbucks.

14. rstamberg

I've never heard the W. German Polydor CD, unfortunately. I like your "midrange air" term for the Canadian SH CD. Fits that disc's sound perfectly.

15. rstamberg

Sange, my friend, you're coming around. :wave:

As I said in my OP (and you reiterated in yours), cranking the volume on this disc indeed helps deliver the goods. I even smiled at the "grandparents' era" remark ... you must be young ... or I must be old. :) What the hell, I am old.

Sange, you really should consider letting go of your SHM/snake-oil thang. We've all heard you loud and clear on this one. For your own sake, forget it ... SHM is never going to be "the next big thing." It's such a tiny thing to get worked up about ... but that's your business. Sure, it's irksome they push it on us as an audiophile add-on, but it's such a little detail. Okay, enough sermonizing. I'm glad we agreed on something!

16. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

17. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

18. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Apparently some can't play these. There are a couple of things that can go wrong.

First, download them. To do this, follow the link which gets you a page with the name of the in large letters near the top left of the page. Just below is the word download, which is also the link you click to download the file. Clicking the name of the file does not work - you have to click the word "download".

Second, they are in Flac format. To play in Windows, I recommend foobar:

http://www.foobar2000.org/

to play on the mac, I like Songbird:

http://getsongbird.com/

Hope this helps!

Tim

19. I only have the Japan for US MCA CD with Steve's mastering, but that one somehow looks like the peaks were shaved off at -3dB or so. I never heard the Canadian MCA with Steve's mastering which apparently is more dynamic but has a small digital clitch in the last track (IIRC). I did like the tonality of Steve's mastering on the JPN for US CD but the dynamics were not so great.

Anyhow, I decided to give the SHM-SACD a try and ordered it. By the way, are these SHM-SACD's in Mini-LP replica packaging or in jewel cases? I think I read references for both somehow.

20. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

They're in a foldable mini-LP type packaging. After removing the CD sleeve from the packaging (it's kinda tricky at first) put everything else back into the plastic outer sleeve and slide the CD and sleeve in and out of the packaging each time you want to play them like you would with a mini-LP.

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Mini LP.

22. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I only have the double black ring made in US Hoffman mastering for Who's Next. How does this compare with the Japan for US and Canada MCA mastering?

I think it really sounds great, and it would be tough for the SACD to beat it, IMO.

23. ricks

ricks Senior Member

US and Japan for US by Hoffman are the same mastering. The non record club US Hoffman mastered seems to be a "rare" disc.

The SACD gives a fresh hi-res take on a well worn album. Whether is beats some of the CD's will vary depending on the listener but it does not take away from either. I'm leaning towards the SACD myself, it is that good. I've not compared blind as I know the sound of the Hoffman and the Hoffman based Canadian CD's too well. I still can't believe (Gh)Astley mastered this one, to me that is pigs flying type stuff.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

25. rstamberg

I'm not aware of a "glitch" in the Canadian SH-mastered WHO'S NEXT CD. Can someone confirm this and, if so, be specific about where it is, etc.? Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.