Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident Thread Starter

THE MONKEES’ HEAD SWELLS

Rhino Handmade Expands The Cult Classic’s Soundtrack Into A Three-Disc
    Boxed Set With 21 Unreleased Tracks, Outtakes, Rarities, And Live Performances

Pre-Order Beginning September 20 Exclusively At Rhino.com

And Receive A Bonus 7" With Two Previously Unreleased Instrumentals

Boxed Set Arrives October 26

LOS ANGELES – Ahead of its time when it was released in 1968, Head has emerged over the years as a cult classic from the psychedelic era. Produced by Bob Rafelson and Jack Nicholson, the surreal odyssey stars The Monkees—Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork. While the film did not achieve commercial success, its soundtrack contains some of the quartet’s finest and most daring work.

Rhino Handmade expands the superbly strange soundtrack, originally compiled by Jack Nicholson, as a three-disc boxed set that features 21 previously unreleased tracks, outtakes, rarities, and live performances, plus an entire disc containing a rare interview with Jones recorded in 1968 for radio broadcast. All those who pre-order, will receive a bonus 7" that includes unreleased instrumental versions of “Porpoise Song” and “As We Go Along.” The collection comes in a 7" x 7" deluxe box with a mirrored finish like the original vinyl release. Due out October 26, HEAD (DELUXE EDITION) will be available for pre-order beginning September 20 exclusively at www.rhino.com for a suggested list price of $59.98.

Later this year, the Criterion Collection will release Head as part of America Lost And Found: The BBS Story, a compilation of innovative films produced between 1968 and 1972 by Rafelson and Bert Schneider (cocreators of The Monkees) and Steve Blauner. The BBS Story boxed set will be available on Blu-ray November 23 and DVD December 14. Head features a new, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition). The extras include new audio commentaries by Dolenz, Tork, and Jones, and an interview with Rafelson.

HEAD (DELUXE EDITION) begins with the original soundtrack remastered, including “Porpoise Song” the film’s theme written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, Nesmith’s rocker “Circle Sky,” Tork’s “Can You Dig It,” Jones singing Harry Nilsson’s “Daddy’s Song,” and Dolenz singing “As We Go Along,” a track penned by Carole King and Toni Stern (who later composed the chart topper “You’ve Got A Friend”). Also included from the original soundtrack are bits of dialogue from the film and incidental music conducted by Ken Thorne, who composed music for The Beatles’ film Help!

The first disc’s bonus tracks present alternate stereo mixes for nearly every song, except “Can You Dig It” which is featured as a rough stereo mix with Tork singing instead of Dolenz, and “Daddy’s Song” which is remixed with a section that was never originally used in the film or soundtrack album. The disc also features an unreleased stereo mix of the album’s closing audio collage: “Swami – Plus Strings.”

Disc two is dedicated to outtakes and rarities, including mono mixes for every track along with unreleased mono movie mixes for “Can You Dig It” and “Daddy’s Song.” The unreleased gems include an alternate version of “Ditty Diego – War Chant,” a satirical send-up of the theme to The Monkees television series written by Nicholson and Rafelson, plus “California, Here It Comes,” a song heard briefly in 1969 playing over the credits of The Monkees’ television special 33⅓ Revolutions Per Monkee. The disc also includes a rare live set from the Valley Music Hall in Salt Lake City from the spring of 1968. The performances were recorded for the film, but ultimately only one track (“Circle Sky”) was used. The unreleased live tracks from this set include the Headquarters-era gems “You Just May Be The One,” “Sunny Girlfriend,” and “You Told Me.”

The final disc contains a radio interview with Jones about the album that was issued in 1968 by Colgems as a promotional LP. The disc also includes full tracks and excerpts from the Head soundtrack that were interspersed throughout the interview. Deluxe booklet features new liner notes by Andrew Sandoval and Rachel Lichtman highlighted by brand-new interviews with Michael Nesmith and director Bob Rafelson about Head, in addition to dozens of unpublished color photos.

HEAD (DELUXE EDITION)

Track Listing

Disc 1 – Original LP...Plus

1. Opening Ceremony

2. “Porpoise Song” (Theme From Head) – The Monkees

3. “Ditty Diego – War Chant” – The Monkees

4. “Circle Sky” – The Monkees

5. “Supplicio”

6. “Can You Dig It” – The Monkees

7. “Gravy”

8. “Superstitious”

9. “As We Go Along” – The Monkees

10. “Dandruff?”

11. “Daddy’s Song” – The Monkees

12. “Poll”

13. “Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again” – The Monkees

14. “Swami – Plus Strings (Ken Thorne), Etc.”

Bonus Material

15. “Porpoise Song” (Theme From Head) (Alternate Stereo Mix) – The Monkees

16. “Ditty Diego –War Chant” (Alternate Stereo Mix) – The Monkees

17. “Circle Sky” (Alternate Stereo Mix) – The Monkees

18. “Can You Dig It” (Peter’s Vocal – Stereo Rough Mix) – The Monkees *

19. “As We Go Along” (Alternate Stereo Mix) – The Monkees

20. “Daddy’s Song” (Remix with slow verse) – The Monkees *

21. “Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again” (Alternate Stereo Mix) – The Monkees

22. “Swami – Plus Strings (Ken Thorne), Etc.” (Alternate Stereo Mix) *

23. “Happy Birthday To You” (Alternate Stereo Mix) – The Monkees *

24. “Ditty Diego” (Session) – The Monkees *

Disc 2 – Outtakes And Rarities

1. Head Promo “Coming Soon”

2. “Porpoise Song” (Theme From Head) (Mono Single Mix) – The Monkees

3. “Ditty Diego – War Chant” (Mono Mix) – The Monkees *

4. “Circle Sky” (Mono Mix) – The Monkees *

5. “Can You Dig It” (Mono Mix) – The Monkees *

6. “As We Go Along” (Mono Single Mix) – The Monkees

7. “Daddy’s Song” (Mono Mix) – The Monkees *

8. “Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again” (Mono Mix) – The Monkees *

9. “Porpoise Song” (Theme From Head) (Rough Mono Mix) – The Monkees *

10. “Ditty Diego” (Alternate Version) – The Monkees *

11. “Circle Sky” (Alternate Mono Mix) – The Monkees *

12. “Can You Dig It” (Peter’s Vocal) – The Monkees

13. “Daddy’s Song” (Mike’s Vocal) – The Monkees

14. “Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again” (Rough Mix Acetate) – The Monkees *

15. “Can You Dig It” (Mono Movie Mix) – The Monkees *

16. “Daddy’s Song” (Mono Movie Mix) – The Monkees *

17. Head Promo “Now Playing”

18. Introduction To Live Show – The Monkees *

19. “You Just May Be The One” (Live) – The Monkees *

20. “Sunny Girlfriend” (Live) – The Monkees *

21. “You Told Me” (Live) – The Monkees *

22. “Circle Sky” (Live) – The Monkees

23. “California, Here It Comes” – The Monkees *

Disc 3 – Head Open-End Radio Special Interview Platter With Davy Jones

1. “Circle Sky” (Excerpt) – The Monkees

2. Davy Jones Interview, Pt. 1

3. “Can You Dig It” (Excerpt) – The Monkees

4. Davy Jones Interview, Pt. 2

5. “Daddy’s Song” – The Monkees

6. Davy Jones Interview, Pt. 3

7. “Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again” – The Monkees

8. Davy Jones Interview, Pt. 4

9. “Porpoise Song” (Theme From Head) – The Monkees

10. Davy Jones Interview, Pt. 5

11. “Can You Dig It” (Excerpt) – The Monkees

* Previously Unissued

2. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Ouch. Well, I made the decision to pass on the Lennon box...
    This is fall is just a freakin' avalanche.

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I agree.. What to tell the Mrs.? :)
    This fall is heavy!!
    I'm not sure what they have planned here is worth $60, though.

4. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

OK- here we go! I'd say 10 pages before the day is through!
    And this sounds like a great set!!!!

5. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Wow. Can't wait to hear the live stuff from Salt Lake City.

6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Doesn't appear to be quite the value that the "Birds, Bees" deluxe set was, but I guess I'll be signin' up anyway.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

I can dig it.

8. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

i've had my fat little fingers crossed for RH to do this soon!

wow! this thread will balloon rapidly ! let the head games begin !

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

with only (now) 8 replies and about 130 views, it looks like others agree. the Birds, Bees thread grew MUCH quicker than this.

10. I'll definitely pick this up... HEAD is the only Monkees album I really care for :hide:

I'm curious if the alternate stereo mixes on CD 1 are vintage 1968 mixes or if they were done more recently.

11. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

Goodness.... this looks to be a fantastic set.... can't wait!!!!!

12. Gizmondi

Gizmondi New Member

Shoulda thrown in a Blu-Ray of the movie.

13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I passed on the BB&M set, but this one....wow......all I can say is "Damn..." THIS is a keeper.

And three HEADQUATERS tracks from the HEAD concert? Wow.

Sign me up.

14. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Not worth $60 now, but definitely not worth $150 when it's out of print. Sigh. Count me in.

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Here we go again...another expensive holiday season. I'm on board! Bring it! I hope I don't get screwed out of the 45 this time!

16. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Looking forward to You Told Me and California, Here It Comes. Can't wait!

17. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I agree. This is like the Wonderwall Box with no George Harrison CD.

I passed on Birds Bees and the Monkees but this I will get. :agree:

It has two of my fav Nez tracks with You Told Me and You Just May Be The One.

18. HOLY CRAP!! IS THIS FOR REAL!!?? GREAT NEWS!!

19. I have said a thousand times over the last 20-plus years and I've meant it every time: God Bless Rhino Records!!!

20. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

It looks like a great set, but I can't help but raise one complaint...what about the other live tracks from Salt Lake City? I looked at Andrew's book and there are some other tracks like I wanna be free, Cuddly Toy, Forget that Girl plus some other rehearsal tracks.

Are they in such poor condition that they are not release-able or was it just no vocals?

I mean, unless there is a very good reason, why not just add them in at this point? Was anybody really unhappy that some of the track on the BBM set were just backing tracks or that some of them came from acetates or needledrops?

21. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

The box set even complete with a lock of John Brockman's greasy, matted hair!

Attached Files:

22. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Just waiting for the negative words... Let the complaints begin!

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Okay.....it could have been a 2-disc set, like the earlier sets, and then my shelf could be all neat an organized, but NO! They got boxes going every which way and entire discs of Davy Jones interview filler and...and...and....when can I put in my pre-order?

24. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

Anyone not wanting to justify spending the coinage on this, that's their decision.

On the other hand, anyone complaining about what is or isn't on the set, needs to step back & reassess... Rhino has been giving us Monkees rarities on a fairly steady basis since the Monkee Business picture disc, almost 30 years worth of treasures, truly amazing!!

25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

In. So very, very in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.