Layla 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gene Thomas, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gene Thomas

Gene Thomas New Member Thread Starter

I cant believe there's not going to be any kind of 40th anniversary release of the Layla album. THeres not even been any reference to it on Claptons website or Wheres Eric. At least Bobby Whitlock is doing something special!

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

One of rock's greatest works. The Layla box set pretty much offers as much as one could hope for with a mainstream, archival release. Still, I am surprised Universal never made this title into a "deluxe edition". Is it just me, or has Universal's "deluxe edition" releases substantially slowed down since Bill Levensen left?

3. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Does Whitlock have any extras in the vaults?

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Other than making note of the anniversary is there anything that can be done? I thought the last anniversary set with the three cds milked the vault for everything and how much more improvement can there be with the soundquality? I love he album. It's one of my all time favorite albums so don't get me wrong. I would prefer that Bobby and Eric get together and write another album's worth of tunes and go on tour. That would be a special celebration.

5. Gene Thomas

Gene Thomas New Member Thread Starter

I agree Six String. Eric has seemed to be on re visit the past kick the last couple of years. I was only thinking how different the songs Eric & Bobby wrote sound musically and lyrically certainly compared to Eric solo work. Songs like I looked Away and Keep on Growing really are quality songs.

A nice repackage of the 20th Anniversary with some updated sleeve notes from Eric and Bobby would be nice!

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'd be happy with a re-issue of In Concert....

7. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I don't think there's much left that wasn't on the 3CD boxset is there?

8. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

What would Bobby Whitlock have?

His published recollections don't even match all others' who were involved.

9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

What would be the point of releasing another crappy sounding cd? This one and Aqualung are some of the worst sounding recordings i've ever heard on cd! :wave:

10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

A few possible options:

1) Release both Fillmore shows (covering tracks from In Concert & Live at Fillmore) in entirety in special 4-disc package (remixed and remastered better than the 1994 disc) with new pictures and notes.

2) A 'Classic Album' DVD of the album featuring Eric and Bobby walking us through the Dominos period and each individual song with the multi-tracks.

3) Repackage & update the 20th anniversary edition. Maybe reduce it to 2-discs (disc 1: remastered album, disc 2 - best of the outtakes & jams) with new liner notes and more competitive pricing.

4) Audio Fidelity releases a Steve-mastered version of this album.

5) Probably the one with relative least probability - Organize a Layla anniversary concert series at the Albert Hall with Eric, Bobby and a solid rhythm section. Compile the best tracks into a DVD (similar to Cream Reunion).

With Eric busy promoting his new studio album ('Clapton') and releasing the Crossroads 2010 concert DVD in the fourth quarter, I don't think Layla figures anywhere in his plans. But we can dream.....

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I wouldn't want #2 unless Tom Dowd was involved, which is not possible.

12. Yerian

Yerian New Member

I just recently picked up a UK 1A/2B "420" original pressing off e-pay. I know this isn't an audiophile record to begin with and I do have the MOFI cd, but I was knocked out by the sonics on this compared to every other version I've heard. The instruments are just more convincing and dynamic on this pressing! If you're a fan of this record as I am, you owe it to yourself to seek out this pressing.

13. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I mentioned this possibility on one of the Bobby Whitlock threads and he responded positively to being involved in such a DVD.

As for Tom Dowd's involvement, we already have film and radio interview commentary from the man on his involvement in the sessions which could be included, so it is a possibility. Unlikely though as it only ever seems to be one album per major artist and for Clapton Disraeli Gears has already been covered.

As for a Deluxe Edition? Yes please and why not? Not sure Mr Whitlock has anything to add but the Carl Radle bootleg tapes do feature some other extra's not featured on the 20th Anniversary box set.

Sadly it seems unlikely and the only thing coming out this year to link with the anniversary is Bobby's autobiography. Looking forward to it though :righton:

14. mmcshu

mmcshu Forum Resident

Duane Allman played on only two live shows with the band after the recording sessions. The one from Tampa I believe 12/1/70 was recorded from the audience with the sound quality lacking. If a cleaned up version of this concert was able to be released then I could die happy.

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Since most here agree that this isn't a great recording to begin with then why bother trying to make another better sounding release? First of all, the music on the album is some of the best of its era so I don't really give a **** about audiophile pressings. Remember, it's all about the music, or so some of you say.....

It would be interesting to give Steve a go at this recording but how much better could you make this recording? (this is a serious question)

16. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I'm sure the likes of Steve or Barry could improve on the CD releases that are out there, but I don't think it's possible to make that album sound any better than it does on the original UK LP.

As noted, the tapes are 40 years old...

17. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

They should re-press the SACD for the anniversary!

18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'd love a hybrid SACD of Layla...

19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Here ya go! :)

20. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Bobby Whitlock said there was one coming out on his facebook page. He has not mentioned it lately though. Now he is saying his book will be out in October/November even though Amazon still shows a Sept 7 shipping date.

21. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Why would you want a Deluxe Edition if there's already a box set...?

22. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

While not in print, I don't think the album is going to sound much better than the MFSL CD. Steve mastered the title track for one of the Rock of the 70s CDs, and I'd say the MFSL is better.

Nice for the 5.1 remix, but the stereo content is not very good at all IMO. Kind of funky EQ, and NR on intros.

24. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

if they could unearth a good live concert of derek and the dominoes with duane playing would be most cool.

25. belardd

belardd Senior Member

unfortunately they can't

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.