Original Star Wars (1977 film) Soundtrack on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by waynenet, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waynenet

waynenet New Member Thread Starter

Is the Original Star Wars (1977 film) Soundtrack still available on CD? I borrowed one from the library and it has more tracks plus the edits of the tracks on the original album are not the same edits. Also it could have been completely rerecorded in the 80's or 90's (digital re recordings). I was a big fan of the original 1977 album and would like to get that one...on CD.

2. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

There is a CD but the consensus (from Steve himself among others) is that the both the CD and the original 20th Century Records vinyl are lacking sonically. (There have been arguments for the RSO vinyl). You would probably do best to find a copy of the 93 anthology and comp the original album from that. But if you want the original album edits and all, there is a CD.

From member Chris Malone: http://www.malonedigital.com/starwars.pdf

He also says that the film and album edits are identical for the original CD.

3. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I wonder if that applies to the rest of the trilogy as well, i.e. The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.

4. waynenet

waynenet New Member Thread Starter

I was happy enough with the original so I will take whatever original CD is out there. I like the original edits.

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

If that is the case I totally disagree with Mr Hoffman, today I listened to an original West German red faced disc, and my god it sounded so good, you could even hear the inhale of the musicians on the wind instruments, the detail was amazing and so detailed that 'Cantina Band' sounded like a different recording IMO, I am finding it very hard to believe that SH doesn't like the sound quality of the first cd releases for Star Wars ??

6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

IMO the original soundtrack doesn't sound that good.

There are two great recordings (sonically) of the same score (exactly speaking it was different since it was edit to the suites); Mehta on Decca and Gerhardt on RCA. If you compare them with the soundtrack, it is obvious the sound quality of the latter is inferior.

BTW the sound of three prequels' soundtrack CDs are nothing but fantastic. But it is another story.

7. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

The 1997 RCA/Victory expanded edition of A New Hope is the only one to have, even more if it's the "book" version of it with hologram-type CDs!

It's got every note John Williams wrote and recorded, in the best quality available.

8. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

My friend you are so wrong:D

The 1997 sound terrible, the originals and 1993 boxset are the keepers!!, what makes you believe that the 1997's are the best apart from the almost complete content, they sound harsh, brittle and also use noise reduction techniques:(, if only we could have the content of the 1997's with the 1993's sound quality and correct mixes :wave:

9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I'll never understand why Star Wars, The Empires Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi have never had a proper release, with good sound, properly remixed and remastered, with good linear notes on the booklet and nice covers (the Sony Classical 2004 are specially dreadful) to match.

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Because George 'Vader' Lucas doesn't think it would make money. :winkgrin:

11. EddieVanHalen

He has treated these soundtracks like a novelty and collectors items aimed at Star Wars freakes since the early 90's without paying any attention to the quality of the real product: the music.

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The best on CD that I can imagine is "Star Tracks" on the Telarc label (Cat # CD 80094). I have an original Japan for US (Matsushita). You will find the main Star Wars theme, the Imperial March from Empire, and Luke & Leia from Jedi. I don't know what Telarc does right, but you know it when you hear it!!

13. EddieVanHalen

Let's keep in mind that the soundtrack for Superman The Movie was recorded a year later at the same recording studio by the same recording engineer (Eric Thomlinson) and performed by the same orchestra, and it sounds amazing either on vinyl, the first CD release or the two-CD rerelease, then why can't the soundtrack for Star Wars can sound the same?

14. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

In case of music written by John Williams, content takes the upper-hand. Having tracks cut out of Star Wars doesn't create as much of a satisfying experience. It has to be there completely.

The 1997 RCA/Victor is complete and was digitally remastered in 1996 (separately from 35mm magnetic and 16-track analog elements).

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Was it remixed by Shawn Murphy? If so, it should sound great.

16. EddieVanHalen

The mix is uncredited and the booklet doesn't give much information about it.
    If the 1996 20th Anniversary edition was remixed to digital and the 2004 DSD remaster from Sony Classical is sourced from the same master, then was the 1996 PCM digital master converted to DSD to then be downconverted to 44.1/16 PCM for CD release? Tricky...

17. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Which one do you prefer?

18. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

The quality of the UK records (PYE or RSO) was far better than the US release, though not sure about the CD releases of the 80s. According to Steve they're thin sounding:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=149426

I know the original US LP sounds quite 'muddy' sounding. The UK releases are far more open and sparkly sounding, and the original CDs and 1993 set also sound pretty good. They REALLY screwed the pooch with the 1997 editions, especally on Empire and Jedi. On Star Wars the actual sound quality was good, but the mixing/location of intsruments was closed in and rather claustrophobic sounding compared to the widescreen/cinematic sounding mixes of the original releases. Jedi - especially on disc 2 - and to a lesser extent Empire sound quite dull plus the claustrophic sound mix is ever worse. On the 80s sets, and 1993 Anthology it sounds like you're seated far back from the orchestra and can focus in on the performance as a whole. On the 97s (or 2004s - same thing) it sounds like you're sitting IN the orchestra, or right in front of them. It's not an easy listen.

However the free DVD disc Star Wars A Musical Journey which came with (yuck!) the Episode III soundtrack contains tracks at 24/48 quality and the Empire and Jedi tracks sound amazing on there. Even rival the LPs. So they must have new transfers done now, but they're not releasing them which is very irritating. Quality DVD-A or SACD discs would be a dream! However Lucas would undoubtedly ruin them by insisting on no-noise hiss reduction and they'd sound processed just like the 1997 discs. Lucasfilm (Lucas himself I'd bet) complained about the 1993 Anthology set at pre-production stage complaining you could hear tape hiss. They obviously didn't realise getting rid of hiss = getting rid of music too!

Mint or sealed versions of the original LPs are still available - I scored a sealed Empire double LP last year and it sounds stunning in a high quality turntable. Sound that no CD release has matched to date.

- John

19. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

I'd love for Steve Hoffman to do for the Star Wars soundtracks what he did to Raiders with his awsome DCC release (particularly the LP which sounds even better than the CD). It'll never happen of course but one can always dream!

20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It's a tough choice...:shake:
    Perhaps...Gerhardt... just slightly.. I respect Mehta's mellow Vienna type approach but Gerhardt has solid taste leaning towards Korngold which I like...

As for the recorded sound, both have gorgeous orchestral color and great presence in big soundstage. It's very difficult which of two is better... I'd say Wilkinson is again slightly better in terms of solidness.

21. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

+1

I have the original 20th Century LPs, the 1980s W. Germany cd, the 1993 Anthology and the 1997 Special Editions. They all have good and bad points, but none are revealing the full potential of this all-time great film score.

22. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident

In this thread Steve mentioned that STAR WARS was slated for a DCC release at some point. I wonder how far down the track that got? Only paperwork? Elements? Full mastering?! Wow!
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=105409&postcount=3

The German PolyGram 800 096-2 issue passes a “null test” with the Japanese RSO P33W 20014/15. I have them both, they sound identical to me and would seem to be the exact same mastering. As for the OP wanting the original version as per the 2LP contents, either of the aforementioned will suffice.

The original albums were issued by RSO/PolyGram. As I understand it content from these labels are now controlled by UMG. Could, say, Audio Fidelity, reissue the original album contents without going via Lucasfilm?

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

As the material was issued through some labels by now like BMG/Arista, SONY IIRC, the publishing rights including the form of the original album is supposed to belong to Lucas Film. But that's just my opinion.

24. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident

Certainly seems plausible as all six scores were last released by Sony on CD.

Was looking for a loop-hole that could be exploited by one of our beloved audiophile labels!

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For now, if you own a high quality vinyl setup, get the UK Pye or RSO vinyl until Steve Hoffman gets a chance to master this. The best you can do. The US 20th. Century LP discs are noisy, muddy sounding, and veiled. And I have owned over 15 different pressings of them in clean condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.