Grateful Dead Warlocks Box and RT3-4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. dbrown1971

dbrown1971 Forum Resident

Got my email too. I can remember when I was scrounging for tapes, I longed for the day when the vaults would open up and CDs would pour forth at an astonishing rate. Now, I barely even look at these releases. I've already got more than I could ever listen to.

3. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Awesome! I was at those shows (I even got Phil Lesh to autograph my ticket stub!), and I will definitely buy this box set! Thanks! :wave:

P.S. I experienced sound / color synesthesia on the second night, during Dark Star!

4. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

No bonus disc on the RT anyway.

5. MonkeyMan

Woot! Woot! :goodie: This is buns-up, man!

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Ordered both this afternoon right after receiving the e-mail

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

8. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Are these good shows?

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I haven't heard 5/6/80. 5/7 has a great Shakedown>Bertha, plus Playin>Terrapin.

The two 1989 shows are awesome. 10/9/89 is a particular favorite among Deadheads. I'm looking forward to hearing the new mixes for these. I hadn't gotten around to downloading 10/8/89 yet so this will be a treat. First Help>Slip>Frank since 1984.

10. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

For someone that lives in Canada is there any reason I should bother pre-ordering these as there doesn't seem to be anything special except for free shipping within the US?

11. MonkeyMan

****ing amazing! Dear Mr. Fantasy!

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I never was much of a fan of the later-period shows, but this looks intriguing. The setlist looks pretty cool.

13. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

These are excellent shows. This set will be a must have just like the Fillmore run. Get them now while they are cheap!

14. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Very excited about both of these releases. Hampton 89 is classic latter day Dead and the packaging, etc. look fantastic on this release.

The early 80's is probably the weakest era for my GD collection so I'm excited to expand that part of my collection.

15. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I wan't really expecting to drop a C-note on Dead this week ( and foreign currency exchange AND foreign shipping of a BOX is big dough too).

However, The Warlocks is both of historical significance AND a couple great shows to boot. I have special memories of taking in a young GD backpacker 20 years ago sight unseen. He had his first-gen aud tapes he'd made at the FTW shows only a month and a bit earlier. Rather than doing much sights in the area, he spent most of the week burrowed in one of my rooms rolling copies of my tapes by the stack. I'm gonna grab the set at some point as I've never heard these as boards.
    One thing that may surprise some folks is how short the proper Dark Star actually was (though Space itself is always DS of sorts), as welcomed as the breakout was, and it was more fabulously realised a week later at Meadowlands ("Nightfall Of Diamonds" Oct 16 1989)

16. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I always preferred these shows to the "Nightfall of Diamonds" releasee...

Good choices, though I would've preferred something from 72 or 74 for a boxset. I'll be buying it though!

17. electric man

electric man Member

I see from the Dead's website that Jeffery Norman did not master the new Warlocks release. I hope Ratdog engineer Mike McGinn can make these tapes sound great.

18. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Preordered both last night.

19. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

It's weird--I had the feeling yesterday that something was due from Deadnet (not that I'm psychic or anything :))

But when I checked (yesterday a.m.), nothing was posted.

But this morning, it's all changed!

I'm looking forward to this one.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Two different approaches. The Oct 16 is a relaxed, pretty Dark Star. The one from Hampton is angrier, especially in the jam between the second verse and Drums. A condensed version of this jam appears on Infrared Roses under the title "Magnesium Night Light."

21. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Wrong Warlocks - I'd look at a box of 1966 stuff, though ;-)

22. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i'm in.

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

So much cool stuff at once! A wooden box for ...WARLOCKS? Insane. I'm in for both.

24. phish

phish Jack Your Body

both meaning this and the first five warner albums re-released? just checking so i'm not missing out on something....

25. I guess I'll pick up the Warlocks set. I love these shows. But I'm afraid shipping costs and taxes will be insane...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.