Sonny Clark Trio - Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joe D., Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't stop playing this one.

Our host as usual, did a wonderful job with this disc.

It's nice to have the alternate takes!

If you don't have it, well you know the rest! ;)

Hey Steve, Why wasn't this on CD before?

Joe

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

This suprised the hell out of me too. It's a great title, performances are stellar.

Whoever thought this should be on SACD should get an award.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I uncovered the tapes and found a bunch of three-track outtakes. I convinced Marshall Blonstein that this would be a valid jazz SACD. If I had not found the outs I probably wouldn't have done the release.

Glad you like it.

Most of the songs are mastered right from the three-track to DSD!

4. Joe D.

Forgive my lack of knowledge Steve, but are you saying that you mixed from the three-track multi's direct to DSD instead of using a two-track stereo master tape to DSD?

And I'm glad you found the outtakes otherwise we would not have this SACD!

Joe

5. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, three-track to DSD. Why not? A mix reduction for this type of stuff just degrades the sound; the three channels are already mixed right on there.

6. Joe D.

Sounds great to me!

Thanks for the info Steve.

Joe

7. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I agree. Most people in this forum refer to the Zombies SACD as sounding awesome (and it does). Try listening to Tommy Turrentine, Cal Tjader, Buddy Rich, Bob James and this one; they all sound incredible!

8. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Sonny Clark is the man!
    Both this title and the DAD of Cool Struttin' are high-res must-haves.
    Now if only we can get some of his Blue Note recordings on SACD...

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

That's very possible to happen soon. Cool Struttin' would be onthe list for BN's SACD series, if they choose to do such a thing.

But yes, Classic Recs did well by that title.

10. Joe D.

Thanks for the info.

I'm gonna order the DAD of "Blue Train and "Cool Struttin"

Joe

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Well, if you really want to send a message to Blue Note for more SACDs, I would do so: [email protected] and ask the message be forwarded to Michael Cuscuna.

I would also pick up the Blue Train SACD rather than the DAD, as you would show quantifiable support for Blue Note's first batch of SACDs. Admittedly, these were not stellar, but they're not bad either. Sonny Clark is one of my favorite pianists, but there are dozens of BN titles I would rather have on SACD before Cool Struttin.

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

By the way Steve, is there any chance we will have more of your incredible SACDs like this and the Turrentine? These are awsome and get heavy rotation in my listening.

13. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Steve did a tremedous mastering job with the Audio Fidelity Sonny Clark Trio. A very well recorded session.

I like this Sonny Clark's SACD release a lot. There are plenty of tracks to listen to.

Reminds me of Vince Guaraldi just a little bit, So if you like Vince you'll enjoy Sonny.

All the best,

Gary

14. J. Warren

J. Warren Senior Member

I must add that this disc has been a favorite of mine recently, in heavy rotation for over a month. What's odd is when it is held up to the light, an off-center print of the label of the "Men In Black" DVD can be easily seen in the disc's black background!

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I want to humbly apologize in advance for the comments that I am about to make, but Steve, I really wished that you would try your hand at a multi-channel mix. I know that you are ferevently opposed to multi-channel, but I was listening to the Sonny Rollins SACD and I read your comments here about starting with the thre track masters, and I started wodering how this disc would have sounded if you had of mastered it straight from those three track tapes that you found, straight to three track DSD, kind of like Miles David KIND OF BLUE on SACD. I really feel that this Sonny Rollins disc might have gained a new dimension if you had of mastered it in 3 channel SACD, but of course that is just my very humble opinion.

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

What's the history of this Sonny Clark recording? Was it not originally on the Time label (a label I'm not familiar with), as well as the AF Tommy Turrentine?
    Makes me wonder if there are other hidden gems in the Time vaults.

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Ah, Max Roach! I'm adding this to my Red Trumpet wish list! :)

18. Steve Hoffman

Please don't put words in my mouth. "Fervently opposed"? It's how I make my living.

Sonny Rollins SACD? Three-track masters? Not from me.

19. therockman

Silly me, I meant Sonny Clark, my apologies again.

20. Steve Hoffman

Rocky,

Those Sonny Clark tapes are (left) drums, (middle) piano, (right) bass, recorded in Capitol NY, Studio 2, dry as a bone. Wouldn't be much of a surround picture unless I added fake ambiance.

The only thing I am "fervently opposed" to is a ****ty mix, in whatever format! :)

21. Boje

Boje New Member

Would you consider remastering titles by Count Basie or Dave Brubeck?

22. therockman

Again, thank you for your clarification on the placement of the original mix. Sounds like you made a good call by going two channel.

23. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Boje, I see that you're new here. Welcome.

In the future, please start a new thread when your question is unrelated to the topic at hand.

Thanks,

jeff

24. Boje

Boje New Member

Sorry. Will my question still be answered?

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The best Time session I know is an 1960 album simply called "Booker Little", by the trumpeter who died one year later. It's a straightforward quartet session with great tunes and amazing solos by Booker Little

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the tapes from this session seem to be lost, because the CD release was dubbed from (rather noisy) vinyl.

But another Time session, Kenny Dorham Quintet - Showboat was scheduled for reissue on SACD (remastered by Steve). Is this still true?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.