Documentary: Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cheepnik, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome Thread Starter

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I think the problem here is, they're trying to get the film in to theaters. Sounds more like a natural for DVD release, to me anyway.

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks for the link! I'll explore it further later. I'd like to see this documentary.

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome Thread Starter

You're right, Rich; a lot of documentarians see some of the (very rare) success stories that originate at places like Sundance and get stars in their eyes. A film like this will attract a niche audience at most -- just put it on video and get it out there!

5. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I finally saw it last night at a screening in LA.

It was awesome - two full hours - really exhaustive.

Anyone catch it?

I LOVED it.

Richard Perry was there and answered some questions - I helped out with it a very tiny bit my helping with the "Nilsson Sings Newman" part (and Randy was interviewed).

There were a LOT of interviews - hilarious ones!

Mickey Dolenz, Jimmy Webb, Van Dyke...

Sheesh - I wish I had more time right now to list everything I remembered, but I hope to get a discussion going...

www.whoisharrynilsson.com

JEFF!

6. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

Do you know if there are plans for a dvd?

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I asked someone this week who was, let's say, peripherally involved. He said no, not at this time.

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Great, so we're supposed to wait another couple of years for the DVD while they try to get this thing a theatrical release that's never going to happen?

Come on with the DVD on this one already folks, those of us who don't live in big cities with "art houses" in them have waited long enough. :mad:

9. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I concur. Here in Lexington, there's no way this is ever going to appear on the big screen, and I'd LOVE to see it.

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Hopefully it'll get a screening in NYC. I am so there!:righton:

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

grrrrrrrrrrr...jealousy!!!!!!!!!!! :realmad:

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

That's modern thinking for you. Do they actually want to make a profit or not?!?! :realmad:

13. Captain Groovy

There WILL be a DVD release - you'll see. I mean, a company will definitely pick it up for that - so much easier than a theatrical run.

They will probably do a two-disc. They have about six hours of artists/producers/friends telling the most insane Harry stories that just didn't fit into the flow of the original doc.

It should be awesome. Plus, they found 35 hours of the "Son of Schmilsson" filmed sessions in a salt mine in PA. They haven't transferred most of it yet...

It was great - wish EVERYONE here could see it!!!!

JEFF!

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I can't wait to see it. I can't think of any recent films that hasn't appeared on DVD (isn't this where a huge chunk of revenue comes from these days?), so it is only a matter of time. Thanks for the heads up.

15. GeddyLeeFan

GeddyLeeFan Active Member

I NEED to see that Nilsson documentary. Now! Here's hoping for a DVD release soon. Yay! They've digged up the 'Son of Schmilsson' session stuff? How about a 15 DVD box with that as extras? :D

NP: Nilsson Sings Newman

16. Captain Groovy

Well, ya know - it's not like Image can throw it on DVD or anything. There's a lot of music on there (all of it probably) owned by Warner-Chappell - not Harry's estate.

I mean, W-C for film/TV publishing, RCA for masters - could be a nightmare. I imagine Rhino will release the DVD - that's my best guess.

The head of Film/TV publishing is an INSANE Nilsson fan - I mean, CRAZY obsessive. And of course has access to all of his masters and has absolutely everthing ever copywritten. In fact, I was shocked when he wasn't listed in the "Special Thanks" section.

What stinks is that he ALSO publishes the pre-"Short People" Newman stuff (I guess what they call "the classic years") but doesn't really push Randy. I'll put it on record, **** it: They could be MUCH better to Randy, make more money, and help his archives quite a bit if they were so inclined.

But Nilsson has a doc on him now and TWO promo CDs of different material out from Warner-Chappell and Randy has... NONE. They never bothered to do one! Not since VINYL. Yeah. We're talkin' "I Think It's Going to Rain Today", "Mama Told Me", "Sail Away", "Louisiana", "Political Science" - SO MUCH.

Sorry - this is a point of contention for me.

You'll see Nilsson officially released - because the people who work for the people who OWN it want it to be...

But Randy has given up on his back catalogue pre-"Randy Newman Music Publishing" - which fortunately for him, started with "Short People". Or as Randy calls it, the one song his kids want to own so they never have to work again.

JEFF!

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Damn, sounds like he and Booger could have a really neat listening party between them.

18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Did anybody get to see this?

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I presume this is a documentary so.....

20. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I've been waiting to see this for years. I love the trailer. I emailed the producers about it once and they said they were waiting for a distribution deal. Sheesh, how long could it take?

Still waiting impatiently....

21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Why don't they start by distributing it here? :laugh: This is one DVD I'd pay almost any amount to own! :thumbsup:

22. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Well, with all due respect, Harry never attained the popularity of, say, a Brian Wilson, so I can see how this documentary would be a harder-sell to a distributor or PBS than a doc on the "Brian Wilson & Smile". Everbody's heard of the Beach Boys. Not everyone has heard of Harry. The producers want and deserve a return on their investment.

23. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

If no distributor is jumping to take it, a long time. :cry:

A friend of mine spoke with one of the producers recently, and he confirmed that it's completely ready to go, just waiting on a distribution deal. If no deal can be made, then it probably won't ever be released. They're not going to self-distribute it; their one venture into that territory (the SMILE DVD with the bonus CD) wasn't very successful.

24. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

It's certainly not going to make any money sitting on a shelf.

25. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

One could say the same about Nilsson's last recording sesssions, yet sit on a shelf they do...:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.