Gary Lewis - Listen - Mono/Stereo on Now Sounds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark f., Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member Thread Starter

Coming in August...

http://cherryred.co.uk/nowsounds/artists/garylewis.php#crnow20

Released on 30/08/10. Following a run of ten Top 40 singles in the span of two years, Gary Lewis& The Playboys hit a career crossroads in 1967. Called on to actively serve in the Vietnam War, Gary Lewis used his brief leaves from the service to maintain some semblance of a recording career, recording as a solo artist. The result was his late 67 psych-pop gem Listen!, arranged by Jack Nitzsche.
    Featuring his best recordings to date, Listen! Includes the spellbinding hit Jill (written by Happy Together songsmiths Garry Bonner and Alan Gordon). The deluxe, full-colour booklet also includes rare, unpublished photos and extensive liner notes by noted pop historian Andrew Sandoval, featuring the participation of Gary Lewis.

Stereo album
    Jill / Don’t Make Promises / She’d Rather Bewith Me / Look, Here Comes The Sun / Happiness / Bring The Whole Family / Reason To Believe Dew Day / Small Talk / Angel On The Corner / Six O Clock / Young And Carefree

Mono album
    Jill / Don’t Make Promises / She D Rather Bewith Me / Look, Here Comes The Sun / Happiness / Bring The Whole Family / Reason To Believe / Dew Day / Small Talk / Angel On The Corner / Six O Clock / Young And Carefree / Bonus Tracks - Jill (Mono 45) / New In Town (Mono 45)

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thank you STEVE at Now Sounds for this! I know that I was among the early supporters of getting this to CD! THIS is GREAT news!!!

Chris C

3. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Gary Lewis & The Playboys really need a catalog overhaul and at least this is a step in the right direction.

4. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

It sounds interesting... I missed this one the first time around!

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great!, but I'd also love to hear Gary's other early albums with the ORIGINAL STEREO MIXES...

dream on...

6. now_sounds

now_sounds Forum Resident

Attached Files:

javilu77 likes this.
  7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Great! Where's PF Sloan?
    (I know, no one knows where he has gone.)

8. now_sounds

Ha ha Bill! I now realize you're referencing an earlier question about the remaining Sloan demos. (Sorry I spaced on answering!) Hopefully we can get a package like that off the ground. Have been investigating that concept for some time. Please send me any other reissue ideas. I really appreciate your support!

9. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

Terrific! It's a great album. I'd also love to get "New Directions" on CD in the future!

10. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Are the stereo & mono mixes drastically different?

Release date is upon us. Are copies of this available anywhere yet?

U.S. Amazon says ships in 1-2 months...

11. MCE1965

MCE1965 Senior Member

Definitely a different listening experience... you will enjoy having both.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hopefully this isn't too much of a thread crap, but any hope for a similar fate for the Merry-Go-Round album? Mono/stereo plus all of the singles (Come Ride, Come Ride; She Laughed Loud; Listen, Listen; Missing You; 'Til The Day After; Highway)? I'd get that in a heartbeat.

13. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Has anyone recieved this yet? Amazon still has this as 1 to 2 months. If anyone knows a place that has this in stock, please let me know. Thanks!

14. My copy was just shipped from Deep Discount, I should have it by next week.

15. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

7 Amazon sellers have it. Only 2 are in the U.S.

There's one CD copy on ebay....seller is in Canada.

CD Universe is claiming to have this in stock next Tuesday, October 5th.

16. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

What album can you find the album track "I'll See You In September"?

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

18. Chris C

I'd love to go on record and say that I wish that EVERY CD reissue, from here on out, was done like this, with BOTH, Stereo and Mono versions, on one disc! This is g-r-e-a-t, thanks to Steve Stanley & Andrew Sandoval, who are co-credited as the producers of this fine reissue. Please bring us more like this!!! Check out the ultra-cool label, which is by far, the best and most real looking retro LIBERTY label, yet produced on a compact disc, IMO.

Chris C

19. ataritoobin

ataritoobin Forum Resident

Nice! That Liberty label design is one of my favorites :agree: .

20. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Very nice, Chris! That's a great looking package. Let us know when you "LISTEN!" and report back on what you hear. :)

21. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I want one! Hey Chris, where did you order yours from?

22. Chris C

Dusty Groove in Chicago, a week or so ago.

Chris C

23. Chris C

I already spun it once in the car and it sounded pretty good, although that's not really the same as listening at home, on the PARADIGM STUDIO 100 v2's. I can't imagine too many walking away from this one and not being happy in both, sound and presentation. I was only turned onto this album myself, only a few years ago and while I've never considered Gary Lewis an "album" act, this one has that something special of mixing that "everybody trying to use studio tricks, like "Sgt. Pepper", to create something unique and some pretty good, (if simple), fairly unknown Gary Lewis tracks. If you're looking for a "Count Me In" or "Save Your heart for Me", then skip this one, as this is more Gary trying to find himself musically, after the huge hits had mostly passed.

Chris C

24. Does anyone know if the track Jill on New Directions is the same song/mix as the one on Listen?

25. now_sounds

"Jill" mix

My copy of "New Directions" doesn't have "Jill" on it. What country was your copy pressed in, JB?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.