Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes [Deluxe] - Vinyl/Blu-ray/2CD 11/09*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks ! Threw it on my Amazon wish list. Can't wait for the details to unfold. :wave:

3. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

There was an article in Sound & Vision I believe that talked about releasing it in 5.1

Let's hope!!!

4. dbrown1971

dbrown1971 Forum Resident

I'm guessing this won't include 5.1. That will probably be a Blu-Ray release.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

We'll probably get a mostly complete live show on disc two. Hope this lives up to its potential.

6. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

With all the Live TP released on the box set I won't be looking foward to a Deluxe Edition that has a 2nd disc of live tracks.
    I always prefer a 2nd disc of unreleased studio tracks,demos.....etc!!!!!

JF

7. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ryan Ulyate (Tom's recording engineer) is definitely working on a 5.1 of "Damn The Torpedoes" for Blu Ray per Tom Petty--no release date given.

8. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I've heard Petty say a couple of times that there was nothing left over from the DTT sessions. And remember there are only 9 tracks on the LP.

I would love to hear a complete or near-complete live set from this era, so long as it's not the Hammersmith set (again), that has widely circulated amongst collectors for decades, and which has been drawn upon for PUTPlantation and, heavily, for the Live Anthology.

Perhaps unearthing those live tapes (they mixed hundreds of songs that did not make the cut) has made them think about a reissue campaign with a contemporaneous live set for each album. That would be spectacular (or should that be auracular) but probably wishful thinking. Hard Promises would be the prize: no good quality recordings circulate from this era, and the selections on the Live Anthology are tantalizing...

Incidentally, I was watching the Runnnin Down a Dream doc again last week with a friend who had not seen it before. I really noticed this time the 5.1 mix on the music, whether it was upfront for live and studio footage, or just playing in the background. It sounds amazing. According to the credits, Ryan Ulyate was the man behind the board on the film. Judging from that, and the MOJO mix, a 5.1 Torpedoes will be stunning.

10. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I've not heard anything from Damn The Torpedoes, but if it's anything like as good as Mojo I'll definitely be getting it on blu ray.

11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Really? Not even Refugee?!?

12. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'll be up for this. :righton:

A possible extra disk could be a DVD of the BBC Rock Goes to College they recorded in 1980. They repeated it on BBC4 over the Christmas holidays and i'll still got it on my SkyPlus box.

Set List:

Shadow Of A Doubt
    Anything That’s Rock And Roll
    Even The Losers
    Here Comes My Girl
    I Need To Know
    Luna
    Stories We Could Tell
    Refugee
    Breakdown
    American Girl

Total Running Time: 45 Min.

13. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

So, how the hell did you manage that?

14. Myke

Well, it's only been 31 years :shrug: :biglaugh:

15. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

That would work for me.

16. street legal

street legal Senior Member

My thought exactly, & I have never NOT bought a new Tom Petty release.

If it's a DVD however, I might be tempted.

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

It's a great show. Best moment is when he tells the audience to "SHUT UP" at the start of Luna! Would still prefer a new live set audio. But then I'm a b***leg collector, so I am going to be biased on this point.

18. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

As long as this thing isn;t brickwalled to death - I'm in. The BD/FLAC mix of Mojo is stunning - and a breath of fresh air in today's super hyped compressed reissue market.

19. Myke

+ 1 :righton:

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm in.

21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Apparently the flier in the box with the Torpedoes classic albums documentary dvd says, "Coming October 2010 2-CD DELUXE Edition with bonus tracks", which I guess means that the deluxe will be a CD set, not simply a reissue on CD and Blu-ray in one package. I don't think it would make sense to do this at this stage, anyway: I don't think BD has enough market penetration, or whatever. Unless the bonus tracks are tacked on to the end of the CD.

I am still not convinced they have much to offer in terms of studio recordings, because Petty is clear that nothing was left over from those sessions, and the few songs that were used as B-sides from around that period are all on the Playback box. I am hoping they are going to put out a full(-ish) live set: they certainly mixed far more than they used for the live box. Just hope it's something other than the Hammersmith Odeon show.

22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I am thinking they may have uncovered a good show from this era making that live Boxed set last year ?? if that's the case & the price is right , i'm in .

23. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

As am I. BIG TIME!!

24. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Yeah. They even revived "Don't Do Me Like That"!

Is it possible there are many cool/significantly different demos/alternate takes from the sessions, and pre-production? The album is so heavily polished because of Jimmy Iovine. It might be neat to have Petty solo acoustic takes...

25. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Even if there aren't any true outtakes from these sessions, I'm sure there must be demos, rehearsal takes, alternate versions, etc. Still, I'm betting that disc two will contain live recordings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.