Elvis Costello - This Year's Model - MFSL vinyl!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

I received my version of "This Year's Model" MFSL vinyl today, and promptly opened it up (after I ate dinner) and preceded to spin the disc.

Another winner from Shawn Britton at MFSL. Maybe not as "good" as the MFSL vinyl version of My Aim is True, in that My Aim, to me, was head and shoulders above any other version I every heard, but This Year's Model still sounded very sweet on this new vinyl version.

Nice open sound, with a smooth response from top to bottom.

Just in case anyone cares, this is the U.S. version of the LP... so it has Radio, Radio but negates (I Don't Want to Go To) Chelsea and Night Rally.

dee and JeffR714 like this.
  2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

One disadvantage of no turntable, I wish they were doing CD's as well :(

BZync likes this.
  3. Peter Downard

Peter Downard Member

Mike said:

this is the U.S. version of the LP... so it has Radio, Radio but negates (I Don't Want to Go To) Chelsea and Night Rally.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? The MoFi website indicates that Radio Radio is on it, and also Chelsea (Track 8) and Night Rally (Track 12). When I saw the list I thought this would be a nice compromise - the UK order with Radio Radio tacked on the end.

4. MikeT

LOL. :laugh: "Are you sure".... sorry.. I found that funny, since I just finished listening to it. Unless my stylus somehow jumped over those tracks (and did so seamlessly), they are not on the MFSL version.

I guess I never really paid attention to the track listing on the MOFI site, since I pre-ordered it when it was first announced (seems like a year ago or so)... so I wasn't sure what we would get.

I guess MOFI merely got the Universal re-master listing (since the CD version of late tack Radio, Radio on to the UK track listing), but no sorry.. the MFSL is the US version of the original LP (I was hoping they would have recreated the COSTELLO version of the original Columbia red label, but nah... it's the typical Black Mofi labels both on the A and B side).

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Shawn seems to be hitting home runs left and right lately, I thought My Aim is True sounded superb. I'm waiting patiently for my copy of This Years Model,
    it should be here by the end of the week, along with the Dixie Chicken LP. :righton:

6. MikeT

Oh, to further confuse, they used the original British cover - which is offset as seen on the MOFI website, yet the track listing on the cover is correct to what is on the vinyl (US version).

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

OK, so the MFSL is the UK cover with US line up of titles. Good info. :thumbsup:
    What I want to know (since I have both US and UK vinyl and CD versions ...) is what does it sound like compared to these earlier versions? Why do you say this is "not as good" as MAIT MFSL? What have you compared it to?

Thanks

8. MikeT

Actually I didn't compare it to anything... I was going from memory. "This Year's Model" is one of my all time favorite albums... I know every second of this album probably better than most recorded music of the 20th century. :laugh:

The MFSL MAIT was just a startling jump in sound quality from any other version I have ever heard. When I was listening to This Year's Model, it sounded good, but I was never startled by how much better it sounded (again going from memory) from any other vinyl (or CD version for that matter). I sounded just right, and didn't disappoint.

Personally, I gave up on doing A/B comparisons. I just don't have the energy or time. I just want to listen to the music.

Maybe someone else who gets the vinyl can compare it to another version and give additional insight. On it's own, the MOFI vinyl sounds quite darn good.

9. Peter Downard

Peter Downard Member

Mike said:

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

As good as MOFI have been with their reissues, I would be shocked if they out did the original UK vinyl. That thing is a monster. Until I hear from folks that I respect that they did, I'll be holding off on this.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's like releasing Sgt Pepper and leaving off A Day In The Life and adding Penny Lane. What a waste of a release, I was going to buy this but I won't bother now. Night Rally is my favourite track and the proper ending.

Stupid stupid stupid decision.

When will US people release things properly?????????????????? Grrrrr.......

12. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

This Year's Model without Night Rally? Silly idea, then or now.

13. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

They must of used the US album master tape instead of the UK one. In addition to the proper song line up, I would imagine that the UK tape would have better sonics as well.

14. musicman9999

musicman9999 VDC Vinyl & CDs

The original UK masters were definitely used.

15. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Been waiting for this to finally release. Feeling a little deflated though, as I LOVE "chelsea". It is one of my top 5 songs of all time.

16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Then why go for the U.S. track listing?

17. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

My guess is vinyl side-length limitations for fidelity vs. breaking up onto 2LP's?

18. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Really? Then how did they put the original UK track listing on a single piece of vinyl back in the day? :confused: Because by all accounts, that is a fantastic sounding LP.

19. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Well, I based my guess on all the tracks/lengths (I'm not as familiar with This Year's Model as likely anyone attending this thread, and plan to pickup the MoFi regardless of omitted tracks). After 18 minutes, a mastering engineer has to reduce the overall level by 1 dB per minute, so unless all of these tracks are short(er) in nature?

The original UK might sound good, but be relatively quiet-sounding if the sides are longer?

Again, all speculation on this end! :)

20. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

UK LP = 35 or 36 minutes long.

21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Ah, got it. Fair enough!

The tracks are mostly short for sure, but someone else will have to respond as I don't have a copy sitting in front of me to refer to as far as the 18 minute mark, etc.

22. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Agreed. Mine's a Porky Prime Cut, and it really grabs the stylus.

23. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

24. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

The original UK album is only about 36 minutes long isn't it? Too bad, I would have bought this had it been the UK tracklist. I'll stick with my original.

25. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

If the AMG Ryko edition's timings are accurate, adding Chelsea (3:07) and Night Rally (2:51) would make the MoFi around 39 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.