Slowdive (Souvlaki LP Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mistermuse, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistermuse

mistermuse Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw this from Insound and wondered if anyone has bought any LPs from Creation Records Limited. Are they any good?

2. sf74

sf74 Active Member

i'm pretty sure that the recent reissues of Souvlaki are pirated/bootlegged copies. Creation Records no longer exists (and haven't for quite a while). i have a copy of this double LP reissue and it's a very good put together bootleg. they made it look like a Japanese import with Japanese copyright writing. they even gave it a fake Creation Records catalogue number "CRELP DJPR something". but the album was never a double LP. this is pretty much a straight vinyl pressing of the remastered double CD that came out a few years back on Castle/Sanctuary.

that said, it's a pretty decent sounding pressing. i was happy to pay only $17 instead of $100+ that the original pressings are going for on eBay.

3. mistermuse

mistermuse Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow! thanks for the clarification. I had no idea a major record dealer would agree to sell such product. It's too bad someone like Sundazed can't pick this up.

4. camster

camster New Member

are you sure this is a bootleg? i saw quite a few copies at amoeba in LA

5. sf74

sf74 Active Member

Amoeba is definitely not above selling bootlegs. they've carried the My Bloody Valentine "Before Loveless" and "Things Left Behind" bootlegs as well as the two Mars Volta live bootlegs, amongst others.

i can't see a label like Sundazed reissuing this. someone more like Plain Recordings. i'm surprised they haven't reissued this actually since they've done the 2 Valentines records that were originally released on Creation.

6. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I've seen there in a shop here in Lyon but didn't feel to take them. Are they next to the level or "Feed Me With Your Kiss" ? What about the sound ?
    Maybe that question should deserve another thread...

7. nickojohnson

nickojohnson Forum Resident

Hi all. First post here. Been lurking for a while I guess.

Anyway, these are available at Insound now. Got mine a couple weeks back from Metamusic. Sounds pretty good to me, and the packaging is well done. Don't have an original LP to compare it to, however. Can anybody out there comment on the sound of the original LP?

8. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I saw one of these today and was tempted. Should I assume these LPs are just mastered from CDs?

9. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

Yes.

10. Mistermono

Awww crapballs.

11. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

So, I just saw the 2 disc version of Pygmalion in J&R in NYC. I was happy to see the Demos from this era getting a proper release.

Now today I'm listening to the demos from Disc 2 and comparing them to ROIR and they are sounding exactly the same.

The CRC's for Disc 1 however do not match the CRC's from the single disc remaster from a few years back. I'm not sure what to make of this.

Anyone else have thoughts here? Is this a bootleg from Cherry Red? Cherry Red has issued some Chameleons on DVD years back and I think I heard that the band was not receiving royalties on those...

12. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

After some additional listening, Crazy For You [Alt Version] on the 2010 Disc 2 has the same tape drop type sound at 3:07 as the ROIR does.

13. What do you mean, ROIR? ROIR put out a disc of Slowdive demos?

14. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Substitute RoIO for every ROIR above :)

"Recording of Indeterminate Origin"

15. Mistermono

For a sec I thought you meant there was a 2LP "ROIR" of "Pygmalion" a la the recent "Souvlaki" 2LP grey-market reissue.

16. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

The liner notes state different remastering credits for each of the 2005 and 2010 versions.

I've sent an email to the the group Andy Pearce works for to see if he can confirm working on the 2010 Pygmalion release. If he confirms, it may bring this release back to the legit category.

ps- The 2005 version states it was remastered by "The Townhouse."

17. public image ltd

public image ltd Member

According to both allmusic and amazon.co.uk, the 1 CD remastering is from Sanctuary, whereas the 2 CD unspecified mastering is from Cherry Red. How reputable are the latter?

18. public image ltd

public image ltd Member

A bit of digging around suggests that Cherry Red are known for doing needledrops, and a bit more digging around suggests that their remastering is contracted out and can be quite good, although a bit hit and miss. Their web site states that this particular one is a remaster from original tapes.

19. sasha

sasha New Member

surprisingly, the slowdive remasters (sanctuary) don't sound that bad. they sound a little boosted in the bass region so i prefer the "airier" originals because it works better for the music.

besides the souvlaki bootlegged reissue, there is also a bootleg of the "blue day" compilation that compiles some songs from "just for a day".

20. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

FWIW, I have yet to hear back from the group Andy Pearce works for.

21. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

I recently picked up the Cherry Red 2CD editions of Just for a Day and Souvlaki, and noticed that Souvlaki includes "Souvlaki Space Station (Clean Version)." I've never seen this track listed as "Clean Version" before, does anyone know what the deal is here? Is this actually a different mix/version from what was on previous editions of this album, or the Outside Your Room EP?

22. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

I've never seen it listed as that. Discogs has pictures of the original CD EP and that doesn't list it as such either. I'm a bit skeptical about the Cherry Red Pygmalion as you can see further up thread, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was just an odd "typo."

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=291616

23. contium

contium Forum Resident

Digging this up but are you sure? Souvlaki and Just for a Day are on the "Music on Vinyl" label. More than a few places sell these such as SoundStageDirect.com. From www.musiconvinyl.com:

Regardless, I bought Souvlaki from amazon to check it out.

24. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

i think there are two different vinyl releases out there, an illegitimate 2xLP and the MOV single LP that seems more legit

25. contium

contium Forum Resident

I received the Music On Vinyl release and it sounds great! Vinyl is dead quite too. Very impressed and highly recommended for Slowdive fans. Ordered Just for a Day after spinning this. Hopefully, they release Pygmalion. My cousin has the bootleg and it sounds terrible.

It's Felix and Turntable like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.