Donovan SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mattb, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member Thread Starter

WOW! This sounds great, nice job Steve. This SACD sounds so much more detailed than any other Donovan recording I have heard. Recommended!

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree. I can tell the difference in the sound quality especially on Atlantis on the SACD vs. the Epic CD of "Barabajagal."

3. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

So this is out? I haven't seen it, but I'll be getting it.

doug

4. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member Thread Starter

It is, I got this and the Sci-Fi in Hi-Fi title online.

5. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Please tell me this is not a Crest pressed disc.:(

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

:thumbsup: Mine should be here any day now! :)

7. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

Something went wrong with mine so it was send to me this week. Hopefully I will receive it sometime next week.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I am so delighted by this SACD. A year ago, who would have thought we would get on SACD a collection of songs from someone a little out of the mainstream like Donovan.

The sound is rich and full, with all the midrange magic one could ask for. All credit to Steve for doing an excellent job on bringing to digital the brilliance of these great analogue masters, and kudos to Marshall for doing what was required to licence this music for release.

I'm just over the moon with this one. I have all the Audio Fidelity SACDs, but this is the one that has impressed me the most - I guess I'm more into the singer-songwriter thing. Legendary songs from the golden age.

Regards,
    Geoff

9. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I've been looking all over the place for this SACD, I can't find it anywhere!!

10. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

deepdiscountcd

Storyteller *

Why Pay $15.98?
    Our Price:
    $12.97

FREE SHIPPING!
    Artist: Donovan (Rock)
    Released: 09/09/2003
    Originally released: 2003
    Label: Audio Fidelity
    Number of Discs: 1

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I saw somewhere that it won't be available at retail until mid-October, but you can order it online right now.

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Can't find it a Best Buy or Sam Goody.

I'm sick of ordering on line or thru the mail (Post Office is so slow.)

Wish Audio Fidelity could get it together on a retail level. I certainly would be buying more titles.

13. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I finally picked one up at Tower Records in Sherman Oaks. Tried to order one thru Music Exchange and neither Norwalk One Stop or Super Discount wholesalers had it in stock.

14. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I totally agree with your sentiments Geoff. I might even like this one better than the Zombies disc, if that's possible! :eek:

I had never heard some of these tunes before buying this disc. It all sounds so timeless. Atlantis was done so well! Everyone do themselves a favor and pick this one up. :thumbsup:

15. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

The improvement on Atlantis from the Epic CD to the DCC Golden Age Of Underground Radio CD was quite extraordinary so I'd be interested to read comparisons of the Golden Age and SACD versions.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

MagicAlex said:

Now that's saying something!

MagicAlex also said:

Based on your first statement, I will have to! :)

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not that I am complaining or anything, but I am surprised that Sony granted Audio Fidelity the rights to a Donovan SACD. I figured Sony would have released a compilation first. Again, I am not complaining. :)

18. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Keith

Sony wasn't really that generous. There are only a handful of Epic tracks on the SACD if I remember correctly.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I finally got my copy in the mail yesterday. What a great disc! Steve really let the quality of these original recordings shine through, warts and all. (By warts I'm referring to the considerable amount of distortion on some tracks.) "Atlantis" does sound magnificent, particularly the vocals. One track that I didn't already know that really delighted me is "Hey Gyp (Dig the Slowness)." Very groovy!

A big :thumbsup: from me.

20. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

21. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

That was a very nice review, Both Steve and Marshall should be proud.

22. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Gotta get this one! How bout' some comments on Hurdy Gurdy? Is Mellow Yellow on there?

edit: just read the review and M-Yellow's there.

23. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I just received this disc today. Wow! While I am not familiar with all of the songs on the CD, I was amazed with Mellow Yellow, Sunshine Superman, Hurdy, Gurdy Man and Atlantis. I grew up listening to those songs and never heard them like this before. This SACD is a must for Donovan fans. Deepdiscountcd.com has it for $12.97 (including shipping).

24. vex

vex New Member

I've said this elsewhere, and I'll say it again. Donovan never sounded so good. This one is a must have!

25. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

This release isn't just very good. It's awesome!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.