Ozzy Osbourne - "Blizzard Of Ozz" & "Diary Of A Madman" (DE's with ORIGINAL MIXES!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ACK!, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member Thread Starter

No release date yet, but just read in Rolling Stone that 30th anniversary Deluxe Editions of Blizzard Of Ozz & Diary Of A Madman are in the works. No word on what bonus tracks or additional material will be included, but Sharon has finally gotten her head of out of her *** and the ORIGINAL MIXES WILL BE RESTORED.

About frickin' time!

And here I was saying that I'd never buy these albums again!!

I have a feeling that if these are successful enough, we may see restored versions of Speak Of The Devil, Bark At The Moon (original mix) and The Ultimate Sin. And possibly, The Ozzman Cometh and Prince Of Darkness with the original mixes reinstated as well,

2. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Good news. I wonder if this somehow coincides with the live Randy era dvd that was discussed earlier in the year.

3. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

hmmmmmmmmmmm........The Ozzy remasters even w/o the mix issues were sonically speaking, pretty God awful. Who is gonna handle the mastering on these? Anyone know yet? Here's hoping for the best though!

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This is good news, though given the most recent Ozzy remasters, they'll likely be sonically FUBAR. Only it will be the correct music that is FUBAR'D rather than inferior re-take's that are being destroyed.

Really good news would be that the original mixes were being licensed to AF or MFSL for release.

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Good news, maybe. I have the original CDs which sound good. We will see.

6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

This is AWESOME news as Randy is one of my very favorite guitarists. Let's just hope the bonus tracks aren't tired live tracks pulled from Tribute or something. There's gotta be stuff in the vault that hasn't seen the light of day.

7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Ah, great news!

8. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Wow, 30 years has gone by...

9. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

It's very good to see the original mixes back.

A DE of an album I like used to mean an automatic sell. British Steel has cured me of that. I'm anxious to see the bonus stuff on these.

10. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

This is great news. I only care about the first two albums, glad this is finally being done.

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Hmmm, I always heard that the original tapes were ruined by the re-recordings. Is that not true?

I suppose even if it is, there must be copy tapes somewhere.

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I take it you don't like the new DE JP - BS?

13. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

IIRC the first set of remasters (w/original mixes) weren't terrible (the ones with the border around the cover art). I still prefer the old U.S Jet CD's of the first two titles.

Nice to see the original mixes being restored, let's hope they aren't compressed to death like the awful current releases.

14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Love these 2 albums. These and 'Tribute' are the only Ozzy LPs I have. What's the story with the original mixes?

15. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

On the currently available remasters, bass and drum tracks were re-recorded (by members of Ozzy's current band) due to a royalties dispute with bassist Bob Daisley, and drummer Lee Kerslake.

The newly recorded parts were combined with the original multi-tracks to create a new master.

Presumably the original masters still exist as well.

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

About the cheapest way to be cheap, if you ask me.

17. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Hey, congrats Sharon. You've moved up a notch. :/
    At least Daisley and Kerslake will get their proper placement back. The remasters were very shrill (based off of the ones that weren't remixed with the different rhythm section). The JET ones are good!

18. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

Surely they will finally add the live tracks from the "Live EP". Hopefully, more material was recorded at the same time. I heard somewhere that these tracks were recorded at a sound check.

It will be a miracle if the sound is worth a crap, but at least the original recordings will finally be available again.

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

What is the Live EP? What is on it?

There was a 7" 45 that had Mr. Crowley (live)/You Said It All (live) - both tracks recorded on the Blizzard Of Oz tour.

20. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Tommy aldrige has always claimed he has a box of Board tapes from that era ....

Somehow i think they will indeed screw these up ..... but fingers are crossed .

Maybe deluxe issues like the latest black sabbath one's ?

21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

That's the one , it was also released as a 12" Picture disc .... I think there may be 3 songs on the 12" been so long since i played it .

22. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

I guess this makes the re-recorded drum/bass versions rarities now.

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The 12" has another live version of Suicide Solution but without the Randy solo spot.

24. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Well, these 2 sound best on LP anyways. They kill the cds, remastered or not. Needless to say, I'm not getting rid of my vinyl!

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I had the original vinyl of both, too, and they did rule. That was a long time ago. Every copy of Diary that I bought skipped. It seems the store got a whole bad batch or something. Very odd. So I traded it in for Blizzard. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.