Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms SACD stereo vs. West German Vertigo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PROG U.K., May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile Thread Starter

Has anyone had a chance to compare the SACD Stereo layer vs. the West German Vertigo pressing on CD? If so, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

2. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

The WG has the channels reversed, so I would grab the Japanese pressing of BIA for the comparison. It sounds fabulous! I haven't heard the SACD. Do you own the SACD? If so, what are your impressions? I love the dynamics of the original Japanese pressing. I HATED the remaster as all the dynamics were totally gone.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Do you mean the Japan-for-U.S. pressing?

Overall, I prefer the West German pressing to the SACD. The SACD has a lot of detail and layering, but it's harsh to me. I prefer the DVD-Audio portion of the DualDisc to the SACD.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I never knew the W. German CD version was different. I have the Japan for US, it is OK.

The SACD is junk, IMO. Totally crushed dynamics for both SACD and CD layer. Fun for the 5.1 mix, but it is terrible example of mastering compression.

5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yep!

I've never compared to the Vertigo but both the 1996/2000 remaster and stock 1985 CD's are far superior. The original 1985 kills both channels of the SACD. Now let's count and see how many posts before we hear whining about alleged use of hyperbole .

dav-here likes this.
  6. steeler1979

Yes sir. This little doggie right here:

Attached Files:

7. PROG U.K.

Interesting, I never knew that the channels are reversed on the WG Vertigo. I do own the SACD, something didn't sound quite right to me dynamically. Also, the vocals didn't sound as natural to me.

8. Sander

Sander Senior Member

I concur, and besides crushed dynamics the SACD also suffers from lousy EQ :shake: (all IMO of course).

The WG Vertigo is a little 'thin' sounding, but otherwise OK and it certainly beats (or kills :D) the SACD.

9. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

A bit off but related post here...

I've heard great things about the XRCD, some people say it's the best version... how true is this?

10. KeithH

Thanks. I have that little doggie. :D Two other ones I have are Japanese Daio Kosan and Sanyo pressings for the U.S. market. I should check if they have the same mastering as the Matsushita pressing.

11. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

Get an original copy. Any country will do. Positive proof that an all-digitally recorded album can sound FANTASTIC if done correctly!

12. The original CD is a great demonstration disc for dynamic range. The track "The Man's Too Strong" is a particularly good example of the CD format's ability in this area.

I have the original CD, the remaster, and the SACD. Both the remaster and the SACD don't have the dynamic range of the original.

And what's the point of this album being in high resolution (apart from 5.1), given that it was originally recorded on 16 bit equipment?

13. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Nice pic!

14. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

I think both are bad as none of them features my beloved LP mix :(

15. KeithH

There are different mixes on the LP? Is this across the entire album or just certain songs?

2010 is the 25th anniversary of Brothers in Arms (already, :sigh: ). Warner or Vertigo should release a Deluxe Edition of some sort with all mixes, demo tracks, whatever is available in the vaults.

16. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

CD uses extended or different mixes for most of the tracks. Like, CD runs 56+ min. and LP runs 48+ mins. They'd better throw in a bonus track for extra time.
    Why Worry sounds like a totally different recording on CD.

So I keep a CD on the shelf and listen to a vinyl rip :)

17. steeler1979

Nice info! :thumbsup: Thanks

18. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Yes, a million times better on the CD! The LP version is totally truncated. Same goes for Your Latest Trick, which completely loses the great horn intro on the LP. The LP edits are completely unlistenable, once you've heard the whole songs.:realmad:

dav-here likes this.
  19. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

One man's "unlistenable" is another man's "concise" :) Having said that, I prefer the longer edits on the cd, too :agree:

20. curbach

One man's "unlistenable" is another man's "concise" :) Having said that, I prefer the longer edits on the cd, too :agree:

21. PROG U.K.

Should I be concerned with the reversed channels? I am looking for the best version of this and think I could live with this....

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

And not to divert this thread too much, but I saw a used copy of 'Brothers' recorded in 5.1 surround sound. What do people think of that version?

23. curbach

That's kind of a personal philosophical question isn't it? I'd say if you aren't a drummer, probably not :) OTOH finding a used copy with correct channels should be a pretty inexpensive proposition, so you can decide for yourself based on actually listening. . .

24. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Good question. Is there a reason for it?

25. PROG U.K.

I found an original WG for Europe Vertigo for a good price. I am eager to hear how this sounds....:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.