Pink Floyd CDs - Best sounding versions?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jcmusic, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which cd's are considered to be the best sounding for DSOTM, Animals. and WYWH???

Jay

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The quick answer is, get the ones Doug Sax (re)mastered (early 90's.)

Otherwise, there are loads of quite comprehensive, contentious and (yes) confusing threads here on this very subject. Search the Music Corner forum for relief of your anxieties.

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Well, I haven't heard every variation issued (what with not being a multi-billionaire and all) but I'd vote for:

DSOTM - MFSL
    Animals - current remaster (though none sound great, not even the original UK LP)
    WYWH - Columbia Mastersound

4. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Yep, too many threads about this topic, but it seems that this is the Forum consensus:

DSOTM- First Japan ed Black Triangle non TO non CDP on matrix
    WYWH- First Japan ed 35DP-4 made in Japan for japanese market or the Japan for US same matrix number both two tracks and indexed.

5. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Best sounding Dark Side of the Moon = Japanese black triangle (non TO), or the Japanese Harvest "blackface"

Best sounding version of WYWH? - The "holy grail" "2-track" version DP35

Animals? The regular USA version is very good. I have the canadian unremastered version.

6. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

While the Sax remasters are nice, personally, I would stick with all of the original (unremastered) USA versions over the Sax. Just my personal opinion, but it is shared my many here.

7. axeugene

axeugene It don't matter if yer by my side, I'm satisfied

8. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Yes, goodness. Please do a search first.

9. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

WYWH - go for the black harvest face, the "2 two track" DP 35 that many people gush over is i'm afraid quite overrated.

Animals/The Wall - Find a Canadian CBS

Meddle - MFSL

Piper - Sax remaster

Dark Side - Harvest or Black Triangle.

10. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

DSOTM - Agree with the Harvest blackface or Black Triangle No-TO in matrix code.

Meddle - I have the Japan Harvest blackface which I like but I think most folks here would say the MoFi gold. I have not heard that one myself.

The Wall - I have the Japan Harvest blackface which I like but it is mastered very low. I know a lot of folks around here like the MoFi of that one also. I have not heard it either.

I don't know what to say as far as WYWH or Animals as all I have or have heard is the old US Columbia/CBS CK versions.

11. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

And don't expect to find a consensus either :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.