Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=212409&page=51

Just a reminder, this thread (and the 9 that have preceeded it) is for all things classical music. Post what you're listening to, what recordings you recommend, recent purchases, concerts, discuss works, composers, etc.

Also, beginners are welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have. This includes requests for recommendations for particular works/composers, etc.

I also want to thank all of you who have contributed to the past 9 threads. Since I started the first thread in this series last year, I have made a lot of new friends and have discovered a lot of new recordings. It was a new idea for this forum and I am glad it has taken off so well!

:wave:

2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

And thanks to you, George, for starting and staying with this Classical Music Corner! I appreciate your comments and recommendations.:thumbsup:

3. :agree: Thanks George! :cheers:

4. William Steinberg - Boston Symphony Orchestra - Holst: The Planets
    DG - Polygram Canada - original release date 1971

[​IMG]

This has got to be some kind of late 1970s, early 1980s repress. Back in the day all Deutsche Grammophon LPs I saw were usually West German imports.

5. George P

My pleasure, Dale and Chris! :wave:

I don't specifically, but I bet it was about Rock CD mastering.

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think even CD's released by DG in the 80's continued to show they were made in West Germany until 1989.

7. coopmv

Now playing this CD that has been in my collection for years ...

[​IMG]

8. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

My second listen to Respighi's famous Roman Trilogy. I liked this a lot first time through:

[​IMG]

9. Think you're right. When I was still working in radio in the late 1980s, we could order CDs directly from the major labels. Polygram Canada charged, IIRC $5 for standard pop/rock titles. They charged $7 and/or $8 (per disc) for anything out of their classical catalogue including Phillips, DG, London/Decca, Telarc, etc. because those discs were not manufactured here.

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have to try the Muti Pines. He should be perfect for that piece.

11. Debussy - Lar Mer CD/LP reccomendations...

Just carrying these excellent Debussy recommendations over from the previous thread, so they don't get buried and forgotten. Thanks

12. Nice. :righton:

13. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I have this one also! :righton:
    I also give it a big :edthumbs: :winkgrin:

14. Anne-Sophie Mutter - BBC Symphony Orchestra - Witold Lutosławski - Lutosławski: Chain 2 - Partita / Stravinsky Violin Concerto
    Anne-Sophie Mutter - Philharmonia Orchestra - Paul Sacher - Stravinsky: Concerto For Violin and Orchestra

DG - W Germany - 1988

[​IMG]

The light in my music room isn't the greatest. Hard sometimes to get a decent photo without a flash. Am using a point and shoot digital CANON camera.

CD purchased new back in the day.

15. coopmv

The Berlin Wall came down in 1989 and W Germany could no longer be found on any CD's released by DG after 1989. I do have a good number of DG CD's that have W Germany printed on them.

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Great performance by Ms. Mutter. Provided DG sticks with the campaign, I suspect one day we'll see an Originals remaster of Mutter's performance, as it is easily one of the best things she's ever put to tape. Btw, Lutoslawski wrote the piece with her in mind. As he did a piano concerto for Krystian Zimerman.

17. George P

Yes, I have the DG Zimerman CD. Very nice.

18. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Just picked up "In the hands of the Master-Vladimir Horowitz 3 disc set for 14.00 at borders with a coupon. My first taste of Horowitz.

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:

Martha Argerich and Friends: Live at the Lugano Festival 2009 [EMI Classics 2010, new release]
    • Bartók: Violin Sonata No. 2, Sz 76
      Renard Capuçon (violin, Khatia Buniatishvili (piano)
    • Bloch: Piano Quintet No. 1
      Lilya Zilberstein (piano), Alissa Margulis (violin), Lucia Hall (violin), Nora Romanoff-Schwarzberg (viola), Mark Dobrinsky (cello)
    • Chopin: Introduction and Polonaise Brillante in C, Op. 3
      Gautier Capuçon (cello), Martha Argerich (piano)
    • Falla: Noches en los jardines de Espana
      Martha Argerich (piano); Alexander Vedernikov/Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana
    • Glinka: Grand Sextet in E flat major for piano, string quartet & double bass
      Polina Leschenko (piano), Alissa Margulis (violin), Geza Hosszu-Legocky (violin), Lida Chen (viola), Mark Drobinsky (cello), Enrico Fagone (double-bass)
    • Liszt: Réminiscences de Don Juan (W.A. Mozart) for two pianos, S. 656
      Martha Argerich, Mauricio Vallina (pianos)
    • Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night's Dream Overture, Op. 21 + Scherzo
      Martha Argerich, Cristina Marton (pianos)
    • Mendelssohn: Piano Sextet Op. 110
      Khatia Buniatishvili (piano), Dora Schwarzberg (violin), Nora Romanoff-Schwarzberg (viola), Lida Chen (viola), Jorge Bosso (cello), Enrico Fagone (double-bass)
    • Rachmaninov: Pieces (2) in A major for piano 6 hands - Waltz & Romance
      Daniel Gerzenberg, Anton Gerzenberg, Lilya Zilberstein (piano)
    • Rachmaninov: Russian Rhapsody for two pianos, Op. posth.
      Lilya Zilberstein, Alexander Mogilewsky (pianos)
    • Ravel: Rapsodie Espagnole (for 2 pianos)
      Sergio Tiempo, Karin Lechner (pianos)
    • Schumann: Fantasiestücke in A minor for Piano Trio, Op. 88
      Martha Argerich (piano), Renaud Capuçon (violin), Gautier Capuçon (cello)

Attached Files:

20. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Ordered that Argerich and friends 3CD set this monts and just can't get warm with it. CD 1 is okay, but the first part of CD 2 is simply mindwrecking terrible. Haven't even played CD 3 yet...Plus the applause after each track kills it for me. I'd rather get this out of my collection for a tenner. The biggest disappointment so far. Others may disagree; but his is sold for pretty low prices already and so I think not that many actually like it.
    NTW. Receuved the jpc.de music catlogue for the first time by mail today and they have really interesting takes on jazz and cassical music. The Ketil Bkornstedt ECM CD I linked a piucture of Rememberances is the Jazz highlight of the month (they call it Chamber Jazz ) . In classical it is No 50 of the Romantic piano works on hyperion . Stephen Hough (who also released a brand new late Chopin CD this month) plays works from Tchaikowsky. A DoCd 15.95...Hard to resist, but I think i will check the Vinyl stock of that local shop instead for lost gems before I place an order again. Those WG DG pressings are awesome and the prices are still in Deutsch Marks. meaning an LP for 23.95 DM actually costs 12 Euro. There are so many gems waiting there....

@ copmv. The brand WG was not existant after the union of GDR and BRD. The pressinhs themselves were made in Berlin at Schwarze (Vinyl). Emil Berliner worked for Deutsche Grammophone and invented the LP pressing prcess and it was Herbert Van Karajan who was responsible for thelength of a red book CD. He wanted the plaiyng time to be enough for an average Beethoven 9th reading at 73 minutes...

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Belated congratulations to George.

And yes, the Reiner - Respeghi - Debussy disc was released on SACD.

And I don't own a single recording of "The Planets."

22. Thanks John. :righton: I initially searched eBay yesterday for even the CD and or an LP. Nothing. Just found a listing for the SACD version at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Respighi-Pines-Fountains-Debussy-Hybrid/dp/B000E1NWJQ

[​IMG]

Hopefully if I order it, they don't send me a redbook CD. I've heard that happening a lot over the past few years from other buyers here.
    The Boston Symphony Orchestra DG LP is currently the only version I have.

There's a mid-price DG CD version available that also includes Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra.

http://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1272291439&sr=1-1

[​IMG]

Used to own an original RCA Red Seal LP copy of the Tomita version. However I scaled down my LP collection from 4000+ to about 1800 back in 1987 after I'd moved here (Calgary). Too expensive to ship the LPs here. Unfortunately Tomita was one of the many casualties of the down-size.

23. Wow, I'm gone for a day and thread 9 just flew by. :laugh:

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

One of the best Planets out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.