Turntable too fast - no speed adjustment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jdmack, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an inexpensive Fisher linear tracking turntable. It's no great shakes, but I like it. However, it plays about 2% fast, and there's no speed control. I know that if a turntable is playing slower than it should, replacing the belt will sometimes fix the problem. But what can one do it a turntable is playing too fast?

J. D.

(or on the off chance, does anyone have the service manual for the Fisher MT-730?)

2. xman

xman Active Member

Check under the platter (if you can) for an adjustment screw. Usually a turn clockwise is to speed up and counterclockwise turn to slow it down. Good luck.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

You can likely find a pdf of the service manual online, which may aid in finding the speed control, which is very likely unlabeled "under the hood."

Matt

4. I had (kinda sorta have) a Fisher with no pitch adjust (it has a synchronous motor)...it's for sale on consignment - just happens that the first belt I tried on it was perfect. Sometimes, a belt that is too thick and grippy will cause the turntable to play too fast or a thinner belt and/or one that is too loose may cause it to run slow?. Sometimes, it could be a game of "trial and error" with belts of the same size from various sources. I once had a Pioneer PL-A35 turntable, and on the second try, I found a belt that was "right on" (first one caused it to play too fast). I also had a 71 Sansui belt drive (forgot the number), same scenario - tried 3 belts and the one that was closest was nearly spot-on, only slightly slow (the "fingernail polish" tweak worked there). Oh, and about the "fingernail polish" tweak? Apply some to the motor spindle til it dries, try it and if it's a bit too fast, remove some - a bit too slow, add just a bit. Any more than "just a bit" off speed? -try a different belt. Otherwise, look for the pitch adjust screws (DC type motors - I have another Fisher turntable on consignment and after replacing it's belt, I was able to adjust it's speed since it was a DC type with adjustment pots). My thoughts.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This is why I like a Direct Drive table. That would make me crazy. And how do you know it is "about 2%" fast?

6. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.