How is Jazz Workshop 180g vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Engineer X, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

4. blue

blue Mastering rules

I didn't expect much of them...but now I tried one and compared the Pepper Adams/Mingus LP with my Stereo and mono red label DG orginal. The Jazz Workshop reissue is really good...more refined and open on top and not worse than the first pressing otherwise.

On the sticker they say everything from "Newly remastered" to "limited" but nothing like "from analog..." or even just "from original masters". Normally that means there's a good chance the source is digital. However even if it was, I couldn't identify this...the reissue is really recommended.

5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Because of the age of the recordings (pre-1960), it looks like a european public domain reissue label. As they don't have access to master tapes, they usually master their CDs/LPs from the official CD releases.

6. blue

blue Mastering rules

Yes, somehow it must be like that...and it surely isn't a reissue quality that improves as the best we usually talk about here...but they seem to be very close to the original LP releases at least...I would currently rate them above the cheap reissue labels like DOXY etc. and below the better ones starting with Speakers corner etc. Normally, in my experience, reissues, known to be done from digital sources are worse...

This example recording as such doesn't have a good enough quality, and the reissue is done good enough, that I can't tell by listening, what kind of source it probably had...could be digital or an analog copy of the original master...

7. blue

blue Mastering rules

I've got some news from the german distributor. They are made by Fresh Sounds in Spain and they are from analog tapes he says. As they are done in Spain I guess they are not from first generation masters (the distributor also guesses so), but at least from good copies it seems. Still recommended.

Woo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.