New Rhino Handmade release - "The Stooges" Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by El Toro Rojo, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Toro Rojo

El Toro Rojo Member Thread Starter

This sort of slipped by everyone, in case I missed it in another thread:

http://www.rhino.com/article/stooges-conquer-hall-fame

"Collector’s Edition Of The Stooges Debut Featuring Previously Unissued Studio Track “Asthma Attack” On CD and 7” Single Coming Soon

The Stooges – Iggy Pop, Ron and Scott Asheton and Dave Alexander – may have sounded like they were from the Stone Age, but the Ann Arbor quartet predicted the future of rock ’n’ roll more than 40 years ago with the untamable sonic assault of its self-titled 1969 debut on Elektra Records. Soon after the band’s March 15 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Rhino Handmade will celebrate the visionary group’s historic feedback-laden clarion call with a Collector’s Edition of that debut.

The 26-track collection will be issued in a 7” x 7” hardbound booklet that contains two CDs along with a 7” single that features the previously unreleased track “Asthma Attack.” A staple of the group’s early live shows, this is the first time a studio version of the song has been released.

The Collector’s Edition’s first disc combines the original album’s eight songs with producer John Cale’s original mixes, including unreleased versions of “We Will Fall” and “Ann.” Also featured is the mono single version of “I Wanna Be Your Dog,” a song Rolling Stone named #438 on its list of “500 Greatest Songs Of All Time” – right behind Elvis’ “Love Me Tender.”

The second disc opens with “Asthma Attack,” a breathless spectacle of a song written when The Stooges’ 20-minute live sets were dominated by arty experiments in feedback and improvisation. The remainder of the disc presents an alternate version of the original album with alternate takes of every song, including full versions of “No Fun” and “Ann,” plus unreleased versions of “We Will Fall,” “Real Cool Time” and the album closer, “Little Doll.”

2. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

for what it's gonna cost, 18 of the 26 songs were already on the 2005 2 cd edition, I'll probably have to pass.

3. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Very cool! I may get it. Never heard the 2005 edition.

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Man, is it a great time to be a Stooges fan or what. Can I'm really looking forward to this. Asthma Attack is a major Stooges holy grail. I think it actually pre-dates the first album songs. Iggy has talked about it in interviews several times. I hope the surviving version isn't a John Cale mix but I'm looking forward to it in any event. Can the Uganos tape be far behind?

Iggy on Asthma Attack.

“We used to have this jam called ‘I’m Sick’ and we did a song at the same time called ‘Asthma Attack’. What that was, right about the time we recorded I got this big disease and practically died. Lost about twenty pounds. I was just up here in this room for about three weeks, just on my back. I literally couldn’t move. Couldn’t do nothin’. But I didn’t want to go to a doctor because I don’t like to do those things at all, because they’re very…they sap one’s strength.

“So we had to do a show, right in the middle of the biggest part of my sickness…(here he paused and played his guitar for awhile)… I was completely…(a similar pause, slightly shorter)…just in total…(third pause, shorter yet)…I can’t describe what kind of sickness it was, except that it was everything at once.

“The funniest thing was that when I was really sick, I had to literally by the will come up on stage arid when I got on stage, I was white as a sheet. It was this way, we did about three jobs. While I was sick, ’cause we could never afford to turn down Even One Job. ‘Cause our backs were always against the wall. This is right when we got signed by Elektra, September and October of ‘68.

“The night Jac Holzman was here from Elektra, we did ‘I’m Sick’, ‘Asthma Attack’ and one other song about being sick. And nobody believed us; everybody thought it was this way of saying ‘I’m Sick of All This’. I was singing songs about what I was really into – during ‘Asthma Attack’ I would wheeze you know, for real. On those jobs I couldn’t even dance on stage. I just barely had to get up and sing and I would fall down there and lay by the mike in pain, you know, I was in Real Pain. People were booing because they thought it was a put on and they’re going, “What’s This?” You know? That was one of the oddest little things.

“We did those songs for about three jobs. ‘Asthma Attack’ was a good song too.”

And what did Holzman think? “Well, he didn’t talk to me directly about it. I think he just said it put him REAL UPTIGHT”.

http://beatpatrol.wordpress.com/2009/07/05/dave-marsh-the-stooges-the-incredible-story-1970/

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

This may help if you aren't sure what material is new.

Red is completely unreleased
    Blue is mixes that have never been on CD.

Two of the Cale mixes were only available as b-sides on limited edition 45's Rhino put out around the time the 2005 2CD reissue came out. The Cale mixes on the '05 reissue are terrible so I'm not that excited about them but his We Will Fall mix may be interesting.

I think the session tapes were found after the '05 reissue came out. Not sure but looks like only some of the session tapes survive (takes of Real Cool Time & Little Doll). The Cale mix was on a tape (cassette?) Danny Fields had. IIRC a contractual hang up that prevented Asthma Attack use on the first reissue..

Disc One

9. “I Wanna Be Your Dog” – Mono Single Version

10. “1969” – Original John Cale Mix
    11. “Not Right” – Original John Cale Mix
    12. “We Will Fall” – Original John Cale Mix
    13. “No Fun” – Original John Cale Mix
    14. “Real Cool Time” – Original John Cale Mix
    15. “Ann” – Original John Cale Mix
    16. “Little Doll” – Original John Cale Mix
    17. “I Wanna Be Your Dog” – Original John Cale Mix

Disc Two

1. “Asthma Attack”
    2. “1969” – Alternate Vocal
    3. “I Wanna Be Your Dog” – Alternate Vocal
    4. “We Will Fall”
    5. “No Fun” – Full Version
    6. “Real Cool Time” – Takes 1 & 2
    7. “Ann” – Full Version
    8. “Not Right” – Alternate Vocal
    9. “Little Doll” – Takes 1-5

6. Pipian

Pipian Forum Resident

Now all I need to find are The Complete Funhouse Sessions and I'm set.

7. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

thanks for the breakdown chris...yeah great time for stooges and hendrix fans...i'm digging the digging in the vaults:thumbsup:

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Cool!

I always liked the first 2 albums more than Raw Power :wave:

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I probably will buy this, if only to match the 'Complete Fun House' set, but I continue to fail to understand why I have to.

Is it really such a logicstical impossibility for anyone to just issue a disc of (previously) unreleased material by itself any more? Why does every unearthed item have to be tied to yet another reissue of an album? What's so horrible about just leaving the album already issued alone and putting out JUST a "volume two" of unreleased tracks and alternate takes? I'm getting buyer's exhaustion/frustration with ever-expanding reissued editions.

10. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

Nifty, not sure if I'll be picking it up, but it would be nice to get the rest of the John Cale mixes and a mono single version of "I wanna be your dog"

I have the 2005 release. Seems like the "alternate mix" of Real Cool Time is the only thing that didn't make it over from the 2005 version?

11. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Can't beat the Japanese SHM mini sleeves for the self titled and Funhouse.Fantastic sound+ mini sleeve collectability.

12. uhh...so they can sell you two discs when you only need one.

13. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member

Will there be another deluxe reissue of Fun House containing the Mono Single Version of "Down On The Street" WITHOUT the added organ?

Still trying to figure out if the version of "Down On The Street" WITH added organ was released anywhere before the Rhino Handmade Fun House Box:
    http://stoogesforum.freeforumboard....-elektra-single-ekm-45695-july-1970-t2137.htm

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

:eek: They already did that with the LAST Stooges reissue - a 2CD set that would easily fit on a single disc! :laugh:

15. capn

capn Forum Resident

I'll be heading to some torrents site for this - too many constantly updating versions of classic releases around these days.

The record companies would rather fleece their core buyers, than figure out ways of appealing to the mass market once more.

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

So do any recorded
    versions of I'm Sick exist ?

17. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Cool! Thanks for the heads up, El Toro Rojo! Rhino Handmade's e-mail about this hasn't reached me yet.

18. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

all i need to find is a press article announcing the reissue of The Idiot.

19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Rhino Handmade seems to be kicking into overdrive as of late-- perhaps surprisingly considering the recent cutbacks at Rhino.

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Pass...not a Stooges fan.

21. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

I like the Cale mix of 'Not Right'. But the vocals sounded a little distorted. . .could that be in the mix, or just the mastering? Also, I wasn't aware of a mono 'I wanna be your dog'

22. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. Can't wait to finally hear "Asthma Attack and the mono "Dog".

23. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yeah, sounds cool to me.

24. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

It's funny, I don't consider myself a Stooges fan, but reading over the track list of their first album, I'm reminded how much I listened to that when I bought it years ago, and how much I enjoyed it.

25. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

There's one for sale at Amoeba SF for $500...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.