Days of Future Passed Original Mix Differences/Catalog Number? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sidewinder43, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I could use some help here. I've seen references in several threads to the original 1967 mix of The Moody Blues Days of Future Past. I was wondering what sonic differences it contained, how easy is it to find, and what catalog/matrix numbers distinguish it from other versions. If this has been covered elsewhere, I apologize; I'm relatively new to the forum. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

In the US The Catalog No's. Were DE-16010,the Stereo had DES-12010..in the UK,the numbers were three instead of five in the catalog..both had the same sonic sound..the UK Cover Had the "DSS" or "Deramic Sound System" on the front,while the later US Version had it off their cover..The Title was also encased in a Black-Lined Border..The US Version did not. The group's name was in Blue on the UK Version,in Red on the US Version..in addition,the Group's Name was smaller on the US Version than on the UK one,too. Also,the Word "LONDON" was included on the US version.

3. Sidewinder43

Thanks for the info. What are the sonic difference between this version and the 1972 mix, which I believe is the current standard? Also, are copies of the original mix difficult to find?

4. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

On the '72 Mix,there's only one Ray Thomas vocal on the Chorus of "Evening (Time to Get Away)",not two which appears on the Original '67 mix..also,"Dawn Is a Feeling",in its middle,has a different mix,too...all remixed for Quad in 1972 by Tony Clarke,the Moodies' long-time producer.

5. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

There's really not a big difference. A couple of tracks have different or missing backing vocals for just a few bars, that were only added to the vinyl production masters.

The original US and UK/europe albums on the Deram label (DML 707, SML 707 in the UK) have the first mix. The 'audiophile' reissues and CDs have the newer, remixed mix. I think the original MoFi LP was the first issue of this mix from the non-vinyl master, but I could be wrong - it's a long time since I heard one. The DTS CD is even stranger, with a couple of extended sections. Most vinyl copies you buy here in the USA are the original. I have no idea if or when the 'new' mix was issued on European Deram LPs - I've had quite late 80s copies that are the original mix. I suspect the production masters (which are probably already eq'd and compressed) still exist but of course are not used for reissues. I believe It's the masters for the dropped in overdubs that were lost, and so they're not on the remix.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

This is the meat of the differences. If you look it up on Wiki, there's a pretty thorough list of all the differences. I found it pretty accurate when I sat down and heard the original mix for the first time.

7. Sidewinder43

Thanks for your help mr_mjb1960 and MikeyH. I was under the impression that there were significant differences because some forum members expressed a strong preference for it.

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The 1967 mix is quite different-sounding than the remix. The original is muddier and maybe more reverb-y, the remix is very clean and precise. I like both versions.

Has anyone ever seen a US mono pressing of this LP? I sure haven't, although the cover indicates that one was issued. It must be extremely rare.

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

From wiki:

Original vs. later mix

albertop and tedg65 like this.
  10. Sidewinder43

I owned one for about 24 hours. I bought it on eBay but it was such bad shape that it was unlistenable, so I returned it.

Thanks for the help The Panda and action pact.

11. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

^^ (Wikipedia entry)

Man, I haven't listened to an album that hard for a few decades. Someone's serious.

12. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

F.Y.I. - It was believed by many, including me, on an earlier thread that ALL vinyl issues (at least in the U.S.A.) have the original 1967 mix.

My example was I bought a new, store bought sealed copy in 1987 and it has the original 1967 mix. And it wasn't "new" old stock - it had a bar code printed on the jacket.

13. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Matches mine except for US catalog number DES 18012 (rear cover indicates mono DE16012 - which would have been redundant in '72 in the States).

I am not infinitely familiar with this album - so I went to Wikipedia to try to catch the differences. The easiest one to spot was the 3X repeat of the words "evening time to get away" at the the end of (according to Wikipedia) the song "Evening Time To Get Away" which signifies the '67 mix (apparently it's only repeated twice on the re-mix). Even THAT was a BEATCH to find because - THERE IS NO SUCH SONG TITLE ON MY COPY. For other novices - it comes at the end of The Afternoon "band" on my album.

If that is a reliable indicator (and I have no other copy to compare it to), then I have the '67 mix (thought so).

14. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yup.I have one.Not sure if it was ever actually SOLD.I've heard that the monos were used as promos,and all of them are stamped as such on the back.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yes, I own a promo, that is true

16. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Is it true that vinyl copies of this album contained the '67 mix for well beyond the '72 (or is that '78 - CITATION NEEDED!) re-mix? It seems that vinyl copies may have had the original mix even up until bar codes in the 80's.

Is it possible that only CD exclusive listeners think of this as something rare? The vinyl folks may have plenty of copies of this...

bhazen likes this.
  17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I have a copy of the US DES-18012 edition. This has the original mix, which is not surprising. The matrix numbers (DES-18012A2 and B2) are stamped with a handwritten ZAL-8079. Also has a handwritten G.K. and PR (which I assume means it was cut at Precision..)

No barcode on the cover.

18. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

So the Mo-Fi vinyl version is the '67 stereo mix, too? Based on the above responses in this thread. If so, then it will sound different than the Mo-Fi CD?
    It was commented here that the segue from Overture to Dawn is a feeling is abrupt, that is certainly the case with the DTS CD version of the quad mix.

19. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

That may be Presswell Records. I used to have a couple of those Gilbert Kong cut copies, they sound way better than the 'Bell Sound' stamped copies.

I have always been under the impression the re-mix was done around 1978. In any case - its hard to find on vinyl but they must be out there. I once had a late 1970's Japanese pressing, but it too was the original mix.

1972 was the year when 'Nights In White Satin' was re-released as a single and entered the US charts, becoming a huge hit. The US (& German) album covers then included the reference to that song in the upper corner - outlined in a box - whereas before they didn't. The UK album cover doesn't have this.

20. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I got my first copy of the album in 1973, and it was the original mix. In 1981 I bought another copy because I had worn the first one out. This one also had the original mix. Then I got the MFSL cassette and it had the remix. Next I got an import pressing made in Holland, original mix, and better mastering than my copies of the US LP.

21. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Regarding this from Wikipedia:
    From what I understand the 5.1 surround mix was derived from the 4 channel quad master. It is not a new mix from the multitracks...they just derived a center channel from the front LR channels. Presumable the LFE .1 channel is derived from the lowest frequencies of the 4 channels of the quad mix.

Also, most, if not all of the differences between the original stereo and remixed stereo version can be found in the quad mix. Since the quad mix was done in the mid 70s and the stereo remix done in 78, I'm wondering if the remixed stereo was sourced from the quad mix?

22. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of a copy that I have, and I have yet to see another copy with this funky label. It's vintage thick US-London style vinyl, so I'm assuming that it's some sort of VERY early pressing, because even the mono copy pictured below has what I call the "common" label (picture from Popsike--sold on eBay last month for $133)

Attached Files:

action pact likes this.
  23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm no expert on this album, but I'd guess that's an early-mid 70's copy - maybe up until 1975 or so. Reminds me of the Hi Records "box" label used on Al Green LP's.

24. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Audiophile vinyl has the second mix

On vinyl, the Mobile Fidelity (MFSL 1-042) and the recent Speakers Corner issues feature the second mix. I'm 100% sure, having just checked moments ago.

All the standard issue UK and US vinyl pressings I've heard feature the original mix. Does anyone have a definite example of a standard UK or US vinyl with the 2nd mix?

25. Millstone

Millstone New Member

Once again confirming the MFSL CD is the remix, and Speakers Corner vinyl has the remix. I was in a dialogue with a representative at SC before I purchased it and inquired about what mix they used. They were surprised to find out that this situation even existed. Their tapes were, strangely, ZAL-8078 and ZAL-8079, which you will find in the deadwax of the original DERAM/Decca release. Some of his comments:

After buying the album and confirming his error, he responded:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.